Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for (CFS & ME), 2023, White et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Three Chord Monty, Jul 11, 2023.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have we seen a rebuttal from NICE to this yet?

FMMM1, bobbler, Robert 1973 and 10 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Not that I'm aware of.

bobbler, Robert 1973, Sean and 7 others like this.
  3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My letter to The Lancet took about a year to get through the peer-review process. Some of these journals seem to be stuck in the dark ages.

MEMarge, alktipping, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NICE has not published the response they said they would write to counter the accusations of misconduct here. It's been several months. Is it possible to get answers from them? Did they give up on it? Got convinced by chums, similar to the attempts to get them to corrupt the guidelines process?

It has been several months now since multiple rapid responses were submitted, and only two have been published. The rest have been censored without the journal providing any reason for it.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It may be waiting in a slow peer review and publication process.

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume this is the case. but they should publish their response as a pre-print to get it out there.

Binkie4, Sid, MEMarge and 17 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

oldtimer, FMMM1, MEMarge and 22 others like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: Update on NICE Response to “Anomalies” Paper; Higher ME/CFS Population Estimates in CDC Survey

"While it was known that NICE had submitted a response, details have generally been lacking. I recently learned that NICE submitted a response on October 1st, which was peer-reviewed; NICE submitted a revision on November 9th. After a second round of peer review, NICE’s response was sent to the “editorial committee” on December 7th for a final decision. That decision is still being awaited—or at least no decision is noted on the manuscript timeline in the JNNP editorial portal."

https://virology.ws/2024/01/03/tria...er-me-cfs-population-estimates-in-cdc-survey/

10. Robert 1973

I’m not suggesting that it would necessarily be appropriate or helpful but I’m wondering if the correspondence between NICE and JNNP would be covered by the FOI act. As far as I understand peer-review is normally confidential so it might be an interesting case. I guess there have been some communications outside of the formal peer review process, as with the “there is a way” texts to Gillian Leng.

I also wonder if NICE might choose to publish its unedited version, as MEAction UK did. As @dave30th suggests in his blog, they could publish it a pre-print.

11. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering if NICE could publish their correspondence - I assume they can. However, lets see whether JNNP finally publish NICE's response!

12. MBailey

MBailey Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have it on good authority that NICE's rebuttal paper has now been accepted for publication - no ETA on when it will be published though.

13. Robert 1973

I’ve said this before but I hope it’s as good as it needs to be. My hopes are unusually high, which is probably unwise given the history of ME/CFS.

It will be very interesting to see what media coverage it gets, given the prominence that was given to the article it is responding to.

I also wonder how much the NICE press office will push it.

14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Well AFME and MEA did a decent job on the dragons den debacle so even if NICE don’t do much hopefully their efforts will produce some coverage

alktipping, oldtimer, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  15. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My hopes for this are very low, especially given the six month delay.

oldtimer, Ash, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  16. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see that more as an attempt to let the discussion fade into obscurity, then publish the rebuttal in the hopes no one reads it. Which they might still achieve. I expect NICE to come in strong though, hope it gets a wide audience.

17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This, plus simply refusing to accept any adverse judgement on the sacred PACE and continually re-citing it to give it legitimacy, appears to be their strategy.

18. Robert 1973

NICE’s response has been published but annoyingly, unlike the original article, it’s behind a paywall: https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/2024/02/28/jnnp-2023-332731

Ash, Starlight, Sean and 3 others like this.
  19. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arvo, Ash, Hutan and 21 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, alktipping, rvallee and 10 others like this.