1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aripiprazole - Abilify

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Jim001, Jun 16, 2019.

1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m still having the same benefits since the plateauing about a month in. (To explain to those who haven’t read the posts, the benefits continued to increase on the same dosage of 0.5 mg until about a month or more into it then it plateaued and sustained) I haven’t increased dosage and still on 0.5 mg. I am close to 3 months on Abilify.

Life is good compared to before and enjoying it while it lasts, hopefully for a lot longer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Binkie4, Trish, jaded and 11 others like this.
  2. J.G

J.G Established Member (Voting Rights)

That's fantastic! Carpe diem!

(Well, you know, within the limits of your energy envelope!)

Helene, leokitten, benji and 4 others like this.
  3. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So the fun part seems to be over at my Abilify-trial. It simply stopped working, 3 days into 2mg/day. So now I am on my way down on the doses, first 1,75mg/day again. It may be a tiny hope that smaller dose might work again, but I don’t count on it.
    I have gotten done quite a few things that needed to be done, that I now can enjoy.
    And, when I have experienced yet another improvement, although temporary, I believe more that there are other things that may work too, and I already have some thoughts, I am very far from giving up trying find things that help.
    So, looking back, Abilify worked for 2,5 months.

Binkie4, Sid, Amw66 and 13 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry it didn’t last....

5. Jaybee00

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

7. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may have been to fast reporting that it stopped, but the last week was really back to being mostly bedbound again.
    But maybe 1,5mg, in fact works. Seems like that right now.
    I will try not to report again before I know for sure.

Binkie4, Amw66, Shinygleamy and 10 others like this.
  8. leokitten

Moved from this thread

From my experience Abilify does really truely work for me (and seems to for many others), it’s not placebo effect it’s just been too significant an improvement that’s maintained for a long time and it occurred pretty quickly after starting it.

I have a feeling that this will or already is bringing new mechanism ideas and hypotheses to ME researchers which could uncover something significant, and it wouldn’t have been possible if people didn’t self-experiment. I can’t thank enough the people who took risks and trialed treatments before me, shared their results, and showed me that maybe I should try this!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
    Binkie4, Amw66, Helene and 3 others like this.
  9. Hutan

First, I'm pretty sure that no doctor in NZ would prescribe it, so I'd have to get it from a somewhat dodgy source, I'm not even sure if I could legally import it and it might not be good quality.

Second, anecdotal evidence is difficult in diseases where well-being fluctuates and where the symptoms are quite subjective (i.e. pain, fatigue) I've seen my son try to convince himself that he was well when he started a school that he really wanted to be at. He seemed quite a bit better (but still ill) for a couple of months, only to deteriorate to a very bad state indeed. The Rituximab Phase 3 trial showed us that people with ME/CFS can often report feeling very much better on a placebo treatment. I mentioned the Mendus ME/CFS CoQ10 study - people on the blinded trial reported no benefit above those on the placebo, while people on the open label study reported significant improvement across a whole range of symptoms. I'm not saying that the improvements people have reported on Abilify aren't real, just that we can't reliably attribute them to Abilify.

I know that Ron Davis believes that Abilify has helped Whitney, but I have difficulty seeing the disease I have in Whitney's detailed description of his disease. If Whitney's disease looked exactly like mine, I would be more persuaded.

Even putting aside the problems with anecdotal evidence, the accounts that I have seen haven't been of complete and long-lasting cures, and I haven't seen many of them. I may have remembered poorly, but they seemed to be mostly mild improvements that don't hold. If 50% of 200 people who were trying it were reporting on social media that it's marvellous, I think we would have heard more on this thread, and I'd look a lot harder at it.

Third, and probably most important, the Stanford study was the opposite of convincing. Even with what appears to be a considerable positive bias, from memory, the improvements reported weren't impressive. It, and a subsequent report from a patient who participated (maybe there were two reports?) suggested that the clinicians have a hobby-horse and are not acting in a scientific way.

Fourth, the explanations about how Abilify might work in ME/CFS don't seem very convincing to me.

Fifth, I do consider side effects. Of all the types of drugs, I'm not keen on taking something that messes with brain chemistry, especially as I would not be taking it with the support of a doctor and have very limited family support.

The combination of all of those mean that I haven't spent a lot of time looking at it in detail, with the exception of the Stanford paper.

Binkie4, Sid, Aimossy and 15 others like this.
  10. leokitten

Moved from this thread

Abilify is a very commonly prescribed add-on to antidepressants and antipsychotic drug, so I’m not quite understanding how one would be “on your own” wrt side effects any more than any of the antidepressant or similar drug. Any psychiatrist and likely many GPs will know be familiar with the drug and it’s side effects.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
    DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Jaybee00 like this.
  11. leokitten

The key thing here that I want to stress is it’s important to not mix bad doctors and studies with the treatment itself. They are independent in this case and one shouldn’t pollute one’s evaluation of the other. The study wasn’t great but that has nothing to do with Abilify.

benji and Jaybee00 like this.
  12. Hutan

I guess my reasoning is that if a study done by people who are biased to find a positive effect (allowing problems with dropouts, and lack of blinding with subjective reports), if they can then only find a very limited positive effect, then the treatment probably isn't doing much.

Wits_End, JemPD, Andy and 4 others like this.
  13. Jaybee00

Not true. There are MECFS patients in NZ with Abilify scripts from NZ doctors. Positive about this.

They are not posting here because, as I mentioned, this forum is perceived as being unfriendly (or maybe unsupportive) and anti-self-experimental. They are posting elsewhere. And there are a lot of robust, positive self-reports.

I can write more tomorrow, but the Lakers-Warriors NBA game is on now and would prefer to watch this.....

Binkie4, Chezboo, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  14. leokitten

This usually makes good sense, but we have no idea how many different MEs or truly different ME-like diseases there are (like you said about your ME and Whitney’s) so wrt to ME I feel all bets are off when it comes to making extrapolations like this, at this point you just don’t know what could work in an amazing way until you try.

benji likes this.
  15. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Must be quite down to luck though finding a doctor willing to prescribe antipsychotics off-label. In general doctors are very hesitant to prescribe anything off-label here in Finland and when they do, they feel they risk getting their license taken away. I think the situation is a bit similar in UK and northern Europe in general, so I wouldn't say it's easy to get a prescription for this.

I asked a psychiatrist who has been open with prescribing all kinds of drugs to me in the past and he said he would only prescribe Abilify to people suffering obvious psychotic symptoms like hearing voices. Yet strangely though, he has no problems with prescribing quetiapine at low dosage for sleep even though there is no evidence for that either. There seems to be some common silent agreement among doctors that quetiapine is fine off-label, but not other antipsychotics. Go figure.

Binkie4, Milo, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  16. Jaybee00

Abilify is widely prescribed for depression and has the indication to be prescribed for depression, not only psychosis. As does rexulti, which also “works” for MECFS https://www.rexulti.com/

In fact I’d bet these drugs are prescribed more for depression than psychosis.

Sid and leokitten like this.
  17. Jaybee00

Charles Shepherd has posted a non-nuanced post warning PWMECFS against using Abilify. Others have replied that CS’s post was not nuanced, and perhaps overly alarmist.

Binkie4, leokitten and benji like this.
  18. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME association facebook post:

ARIPIPRAZOLE

There has been some discussion about this medication and ME/CFS on social media.

Dr CS comments

Aripiprazole (trade name = Abilify) is a powerful prescription-only drug that can be used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depressive illness. It is also sometimes used to treat irritability associated with autism.

As with other antipsychotic drugs, it affects the levels of chemical transmitters in the brain and nervous system - which include dopamine and serotonin. Although there are a small number of anecdotal reports appearing on the internet from people with ME/CFS who have used this drug, there have not been any proper clinical trials to assess whether it could be a safe and effective treatment for ME/CFS.

Aripiprazole has a large number of both common and potentially very serious side-effects - many of which overlap with ME/CFS symptoms.

Side-effect data from the British National Formulary:

Common or very common
    anxiety; appetite abnormal; diabetes mellitus; fatigue; gastrointestinal discomfort; headache; hypersalivation; nausea; vision disorders

Uncommon
    Depression; hiccups; hyperglycaemia; sexual dysfunction

Frequency not known
    Aggression; alopecia; cardiac arrest; chest pain; diabetic hyperosmolar coma; diabetic ketoacidosis; diarrhoea; dysphagia; generalised tonic-clonic seizure; hepatic disorders; hyperhidrosis; hypertension;
    hyponatraemia; laryngospasm; musculoskeletal stiffness; myalgia; oropharyngeal spasm; pancreatitis; peripheral oedema; photosensitivity reaction; pneumonia aspiration; rhabdomyolysis;
    serotonin syndrome; speech disorder; suicidal behaviours; syncope; temperature regulation disorder; thrombocytopenia; urinary incontinence; weight decreased

MHRA/CHM advice: Clozapine and other antipsychotics: monitoring blood concentrations for toxicity (August 2020)
    Following fatal cases involving toxicity of clozapine and other antipsychotic medicines, the MHRA advises that monitoring blood concentration of aripiprazole may be helpful in certain circumstances, such as patients presenting symptoms suggestive of toxicity, or when concomitant medicines may interact to increase blood concentration of aripiprazole.
    https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/aripiprazole.html

This is not therefore a drug that should be prescribed to people with ME/CFS in our current state of knowledge

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Sid, Wits_End, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  19. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On Facebook, on the same public post, Dr Charles Shepherd has been answering comments. People have commented asking why he didn’t mention the Stanford trial, the fact the doses are much lower etc, he had some good answers for that:

he commented this to most of the people who asked about the trial:

“Thanks -. Yes - I have seen this retrospective study but it's not a proper randomised clinical trial. The findings do indicate that this is a drug that could be of benefit - possibly to a sub-group of people with ME/CFS. However, the only way to proceed with assessing a drug like this that is capable of causing very severe adverse reactions is though a well conducted placebo-controlled clinical trial that involves doctors with good experience in the use of anti-psychotic drugs. In our current state of knowledge it is not something that people should be asking their GP to prescribe. And I would be very surprised if any GP would be willing to do so - given the legal consequences if something did go wrong. Dr CS MEA”

also important:

“One very specific and potentially fatal side-effect, which some doctors are not aware of is the Malignant Neuroleptic Syndrome. If a patient develops signs and symptoms indicative of NMS, or presents with unexplained high fever without additional clinical manifestations of NMS, all antipsychotics, including aripiprazole, must be discontinued and urgent medical attention should be sought. Dr CS MEA”

“No. All drugs have side effects - often divided into common and not that serious and rare but more serious. This is a complex anti-psychotic drug that has the potential to cause a number of really quite serious side effects. DR CS MEA”

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Sid, Milo, Wits_End and 9 others like this.
  20. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abilify is only indicated for psychosis or schizophrenia here, maybe the US for example has classified this differently. For depression it would be possible to obtain, with a big if, as a last resort option if you have gone through all other medications, but it would still be off-label and prescribed as augmentation treatment together with antidepressants. It is very difficult to obtain in my experience at least in the Nordic countries and UK, which is why we need more research.

Sid, Amw66, vsou and 3 others like this.