1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aripiprazole - Abilify

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Jim001, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the little I could read without logging in, that did appear to be for antidepressant use in treating depression. Might make a difference?

Please do tell. My caree is on a Z, and not finding it helps that much with her sleep any more. I think she'd love to change, if only she knew what to.

Shinygleamy and MEMarge like this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Legend, Alton and MEMarge like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@butter.

4:30 minutes "some improvement".

Sarah94, Legend and MEMarge like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ron Davis mentioned in his short talk that they have done a small pilot with Abilify and so far 80% showed some improvement. Some a lot, some a little, no numbers or time span specified and not published. It didn't sound like a formal pilot study, more like a few people have tried it.
    They are planning a double blind trial but it sounds quite a way off - not at the approval or funding stage.

Binkie4, Hutan, Wits_End and 12 others like this.
  6. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I chatted with a guy in 2017. Housebound and had a bit of anxiety. He got prescribed Risperdal, like Dr. Jay Goldstein did as well, and he's now working part time. I've not been surprised by the improvements we've seen due to Abilify, but we first need more research.

7. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like a garbage statement to me that 80% improve ... Unfortunately ...

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Giving it a % makes it seem like properly researched results rather than multiple anecdotes.

MEMarge, lycaena, vsou and 6 others like this.
  9. Bombino

Bombino Established Member

Multiple anecdotes is better than nothing. iT'S TERRIFIC. If they received funding then you might have reason to criticize for not getting answers. They don't have the funds and no one should have a sense of entitlement when they are not given the resources. I am thrilled about all their work on such limited resources.

Braganca and Sarah94 like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'a sense of entitlement'.

Andy, lunarainbows and Sarah94 like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Multiple anecdotes are fine as long as it’s clear that’s what they are. And if the numbers are clear so the value of the evidence can be weighed up.

Andy, Alton, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  12. Jessie 107

Jessie 107 Established Member

I am currently taking 2.5 mg abilify,my M.e is very severe I have been bed bound for the last two-and-a-half years.
    since taking Abilify I am able to talk more,
    I'm able to have a bath using a bath lift,
    I am able to go downstairs using a wheelchair and a stair lift,
    I'm able to spend more time online I'm also able to watch half an hour of TV everyday ,day none of this would have been possible without Abilify,
    it is definitely helping me.

Dom, Binkie4, Aroa and 22 others like this.
  13. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jessie 107 how long have you been on Abilify?

Thanks

Alton, MEMarge, lunarainbows and 3 others like this.
  14. Jessie 107

Jessie 107 Established Member

I started at the end of July this year.
    I started on 0.25 MG until I worked my way up to where I am now I started to notice the benefit when I reached 2MG

Dom, Binkie4, Shinygleamy and 7 others like this.
  15. Wits_End

16. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In many countries you can get Abilify oral solution 1mg/ml by Rx. One can even buy it on goldpharma and others.

17. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the main issues currently that’s been talked about on PR is about how long the improvements on Abilify last. Some people have reported that after a couple months or more their improvements reduced, though it wasn’t clear if they were only taking Abilify monotherapy.

Others have combined Abilify with Celebrex or LDN and this combo has anecdotally shown to increase/extend its effects and prevent some tolerance. Will be interested in seeing how long this lasts.

Dom, Binkie4, Shinygleamy and 5 others like this.
  18. Wits_End

Oh, really? I must have a look at the BNF: I'd assumed it only came in tablet form.

MEMarge and leokitten like this.
  19. chelby

chelby Established Member

I starting microdosing Abilify a week ago and holy shit - it works!

I absolutely can not believe how good I am feeling. For context I have severe ME, in bed 22hrs a day (otherwise on couch), need a powerchair to get from bed to toilet and carers for hygiene tasks. I have a history of medication sensitivity.

I am microdosing with 0.25mg at morning and lunch time. I also take the SNRI Effexor 75mg which my Neuro said works synergistically and increases the chance of it working. The only side effect so far is insomnia.

I had a powerchair fitting which I thought I was going to be in for the worst crash I've had all year. Thought I would need least 4-5 days of rest. Just 2 hours later I was already back to baseline. The next day I went for a big stroll and saw my relatives which usually I can only do the day after a saline infusion and 3 days of rest. Yesterday I spent 4hrs out of bed in a row (my powerchair has recline) . I was able to get out of bed this morning first thing and watch the rain and spend time with my mum. Usually I take 3-4hrs of aggressive fluid loading before I dare get out of bed.

It seems to make you recover from PEM very quickly but does not prevent it. My severe OI has improved slightly I am sitting up more frequently, earlier and for longer.

It seems almost to good to be true. My main concern is - does Abilify improve the underlying disease or does it make you feel good (a false sense of wellbeing?)

20. chelby

chelby Established Member

We compounded it ourselves from 5mg tablets. My friend is about to try it and is getting it professionally compounded at the chemist. Our neuro tho said that my caretaker seemed capable as he makes me capsules all the time. It obviously not going to be perfect but since the dose is so tiny it shouldn't matter too much.

MEMarge, andypants, leokitten and 2 others like this.