1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article Express: ‘I lost half my blood’: Woman recalls diagnosis of ‘mystery illness’ - it affects millions

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-syndrome-symptoms-feeling-tired-all-the-time

If only the NHS website had some decent info on it:banghead:

2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ending is perfect too:

Well, at least they got the pacing part right.

But yeah, since this is what the NHS website says:

I agree that as long as this is not accurate, there will be similar articles over and over in the media as many journalists will turn to the NHS for info, expecting it to be factually correct.

3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am too I’ll to read this but why and how, did she “lose half her blood” ?

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn't find it - the site was deadly slow for me so I'm not sure whether it was in the article, but I think that there is evidence for reduced blood volume in ME/CFS. I don't think it is usually halved though!

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An infection after tonsil surgery lead to a wound that kept bleeding.

Mij, Leila, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not surprisingly, you can die from losing one-half to two-thirds of your blood. I actually would have guessed that the threshold was lower than that. The percentage is probably constant, but the volume would vary with body size.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsanguination

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    alktipping, Ash and hibiscuswahine like this.
  7. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks all!

alktipping likes this.
  8. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just saw another article about her which talks a lot about her recovery and that she became a "fatigue coach". I looked her up and this is what I've found on her website:

That’s why I set up Pamela Rose Coaching. As a fully qualified performance coach with NLP (Neuro-linguistic programming) I now lead clients, from the point of despair, to getting back on their feet and learning how to cope with life again.

I have gained a particular reputation for helping those who are living with a diagnosis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (more commonly referred to as ME/CFS). As an ME/CFS Coach I can offer guidance from personal experience, as I was diagnosed with this illness myself ten years ago and have subsequently managed a very successful recovery. Fully accredited by the National Council of Psychotherapists I now work with others who have this condition, to help them with their own ME/CFS recovery.​

Sometimes I wonder if you are not considered fully recovered until you also become an ME/CFS coach. : unamused:

9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Forbin Your link to "simple wikipedia" doesn't work for me.

Another factor in the effects of exsanguination is how fast the patient loses blood. If they have a chronic bleed it can drag things out for a very long time - literally years. This is one of the factors in my own ill health.

Forbin and Ash like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“I had to have an operation to remove my tonsils which resulted in an infection that caused the wound to burst.

It was like a horror film, I lost half my blood".

Forbin, Arnie Pye and Ash like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fixed it. I must've forgotten to enter the link underlying the text. I used the "simple" version of Wikipedia because it's more detailed about blood loss in humans. For some reason, the article on exsanguination on regular Wikipedia is mainly about its use as a method of slaughtering animals. :(

Arnie Pye likes this.