1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: News from Griffith University, National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases (NCNED)

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by hixxy, Dec 4, 2018.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Generous $2m donation to bolster efforts of Griffith (NCNED) CFS researchers

NCNED still managing to mop up every last drop of research funding for ME/CFS in Australia and have very little interesting to show for it.

Continues here: https://app.secure.griffith.edu.au/...-bolster-efforts-of-griffith-cfs-researchers/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2021
    merylg, rvallee, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TiredSam, Aroa, Trish and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1450844668381326&id=301252900007181

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Could go one of two ways I suppose. The partners in this might encourage NCNED to raise their standards, or they'll follow NCNED's lead - it will certainly be interesting to find out who they are working with in the UK.

And interesting to see all the 'ICC is the one true definition' posts underneath the post as well.

ETA: And I do wish that NCNED would use ME/CFS instead of CFS/ME.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

On the NZ front, I see Dr Eiren Sweetman was attending the conference from the University of Otago team (Professor Tate). It makes sense that this group signs on to CHIME. It's a small group and it must be hard to build momentum unless working fairly closely with other teams.

I think the CHIME consortium probably isn't a bad thing. I don't think we should assume that the members necessarily agree with NCNED research findings. Communication between teams, especially with teams from non-English speaking countries, will hopefully be helpful.

Snowdrop, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Simone, Hutan and Invisible Woman like this.
  8. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting read thanks.

Forbin and MyalgicE like this.
  10. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pity his responses were so shallow.

Andy, Sunshine3, andypants and 2 others like this.
  11. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Facebook post:

So I guess they're still hoovering up every last drop of funding available for ME in Australia.

Sid, alktipping, andypants and 3 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

All I can say is that I hope they are on the right track.

Otherwise, a big waste of time and money.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Latest hype from Griffith/NCNED.

World first chronic fatigue syndrome findings could fast track response to Long COVID

"Griffith University researchers are hoping to find a treatment for Long COVID after proving the illness shares the same biological impairment as patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (known internationally as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS)).

In a world first, their study suggests COVID-19 could be a potential trigger for ME/CFS and their 10 years of research on ME/CFS could help fast track understanding and treatment of Long Covid.

Griffith University’s National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases Director, Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik, said the breakthrough findings will assist with investigations into therapeutic strategies to help both Long COVID and ME/CFS patients."

https://news.griffith.edu.au/2022/0...ings-could-fast-track-response-to-long-covid/

The study hasn't been published yet....
    "The breakthrough findings will be published in the renowned international Journal of Molecular Medicine."

16. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Keeping us in suspense? It's something with ion channels, which do all sorts of things. Hope it'll be out soon!

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The pilot study, on 5 ME/CFS patients, 5 Long Covid Patients and 5 controls, that this hype is built on can be found here, Transient receptor potential melastatin 3 dysfunction in post COVID-19 condition and ME/CFS patients 2022, Martini Sasso et al

Simone, Hutan, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Largest medical research grant to help ME/CFS and Long COVID research
    https://news.griffith.edu.au/2023/0...grant-to-help-me-cfs-and-long-covid-research/

shak8, Hutan, hibiscuswahine and 9 others like this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

While I have reservations about NCNED (and awe at their ongoing ability to pull in funding), I think the Australia Rickettsial Research Laboratory and specifically the main person there, Professor Stephen Graves, is good, scientifically and for their concern about people with ME/CFS. It's a bit of a weird connection for an LDN study though.

I'm not sure about the 'WHO Reference Laboratory' - there are a network of reference laboratories rather than it being one thing.

I hope some members here will participate and let us know how the study is being done. Perhaps we should try to get hold of the protocol.

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A number of people will be pleased if another LDN trial is set up. I understand there is already on in Canada for Long Covid. There is enough interest to jutify trying to get a clear answer, even if the science base is thin.

I hope the study uses adequate methodology. Studying LDN is tricky since the claim is that you need just the right dose and it is hard to do a double blind trial with 'just the right dose' placebo.

I was wondering whether one option would be to have four doses, covering the likely range, and to have patients try 'dose escalation' when one or more doses is real and others not.

merylg, RedFox, FMMM1 and 7 others like this.