Autonomic and inflammatory changes in FM & ME/CFS and the contribution to signs & symptoms (BMJ, 2019) Themelis et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Eagles, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ Journals: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases: Autonomic and inflammatory changes in FM and ME/CFS and the contribution to signs and symptoms

https://ard.bmj.com/content/78/Suppl_2/1920.1

Abstract

Background Dysautonomia describes a group of conditions associated with a malfunction of the autonomic nervous system. Symptoms of dysautonomia and inflammation have been described in Fibromyalgia (FM) and Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) [1–4]. Symptoms include increased disabling fatigue, pain, dizziness and digestive problems…

Conclusion includes: Preliminary findings suggest that dysautonomia and induced inflammation significantly impacts on pain, fatigue, and autonomic function in FM and ME/CFS.

ahimsa, Mij, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  2. Badpack

Badpack Established Member (Voting Rights)

Dysautonomia, which is the latin word for disturbed autonomic function, shows that the autonomic function is disturbed ? haha, well jokes aside you should all watch this video. Im a firm believer thats the main problem here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHaDCBXWArU

alktipping likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full abstract - this, as I understand it, is an abstract-only publication.

ahimsa, alktipping, andypants and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does malfunction have a different meaning than dysfunction or it's just the author's preference? Never seen the word malfunction in medical terminology.

alktipping, andypants and DokaGirl like this.