1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of micronutrient supplementation on nutritional status, energy metabolism, and subjective wellbeing, 2021, Maggini et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The human body, particularly the brain, requires energy, stored in the form of adenosine triphosphate. Energy metabolism during cellular respiration is dependent on the presence of multiple micronutrients, which act as essential components, coenzymes, or precursors at every stage. An adequate supply of multiple micronutrients is vital for efficient energy production. However, micronutrient intakes below the recommended dietary allowance are common, even in industrialized countries. Intakes of vitamins A, D, E, folate, iron, zinc, and selenium are suboptimal across all age groups. Suboptimal micronutrient levels have been shown to contribute to low energy levels, physical and mental fatigue, and impaired cognitive performance and wellbeing – symptoms frequently present in the general population. When supplemented in combination in well-conducted trials, multiple micronutrients ± coenzyme Q10 reduced oxidative stress in chronic fatigue syndrome; in healthy people they increased cerebral blood-flow hemodynamic response, energy expenditure, and fat oxidation; reduced mental and physical fatigue; improved the speed and accuracy of cognitive function during demanding tasks; and reduced stress. The results from these clinical trials suggest that even in industrialized countries, where adults might be assumed to have a healthy, balanced diet, there is a rationale to supplement with multiple micronutrients, including coenzyme Q10, to improve nutritional status, support energy metabolism, and improve subjective wellbeing.

Open access, https://www.nutricionhospitalaria.org/articles/03788/show

2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read it (will do so later), but I don't see how any of this is a rationale for increased supplements instead of increased intake of food that contain these nutrient. Getting nutrients from food and supplements are not always the same.

Hutan, Sisyphus, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True, but some people can't take in enough food to give them adequate intakes of some nutrients, especially as they get older. That said, I couldn't tolerate Co-Enzyme Q10 when I tried it years ago.

4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried CoQ10, with and without supplements, and with a reasonably healthy diet ... and didn't notice any effects. Even well-conducted trial results can be interpreted in ways that don't match reality very well.

Hutan, MeSci, Sisyphus and 3 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I don't see a contradiction with what I said :)

I can just about meet the "required daily intake" for vitamin/minerals on ~1500 kcal when I'm housebound, but I have supplements of nutrients I struggle with when I'm low on appetite/in PEM. I did not have to think as much about including certain foods in my diet when I routinely ate ~3000 kcal/day ;)

The omega3 supplement I take include CoQ10, and I feel lousy rather quickly if I for get to take it. If that is due to the CoQ10 or the fatty acids I don't know.

MeSci and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was advised to take CoQ10 when I was put on a statin and it made it easier to tolerate. When I researched CoQ10 I decided to take a slightly higher dose even when I was not taking the statin.

One weekend we were visiting my grandchildren and I felt sicker than I had done for a long time. It turned out my husband had forgotten to put the CoQ10 into my pill boxes.

It definitely helps me to the point I take an extra pill for stressful occasions, like when I had to have a CT scan.