Blog: Clark Ellis, "Which heart rate monitor for ME/CFS?"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I gave my husband a Fitbit Charge HR two Christmases ago. It lasted about eight months before it went kablooey. I was not impressed as that cost about $10/month. Shortly after I got his, I got one for myself. The strap broke after about two days. I've asked for a HR monitor for Christmas, but I think we'll try a different brand, probably more expensive too.

Thanks, @Clark Ellis , for the blog. I wanted to put up a post comparing the features of the ones covered in the thread you reference, but don't know how to make a chart and don't have the mental energy anyway.:(

Edited to add last paragraph.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have a Fitbit charge but a Fitbit blaze which I'm really happy with. It's all plastic on the back with only 4 recessed copper looking charging contact points that are not in contact with the skin. It's not waterproof which doesn't really matter for me since I don't have a problem not wearing it in the shower and I don't do swimming. I tend to put it on charge when I go in the shower. On average it needs charging once per week..but I do try and wash more frequently than that.

I used to get quite a bit of sore itchy skin on my wrist behind the strap but not actually where the monitoring device touched the skin. I've found wearing the strap looser has pretty much eliminated this. I guess this is perspiration combined with the usual over sensitive skin (makes sense that I would eventually become allergic to myself)?

I also have a washable strap and wash this thoroughly about once a week.

3. Clark Ellis

Clark Ellis Established Member

That's disappointing about the Fitbit Charge. It does seem they have problems with their straps on almost all their devices, so it's only really worth buying one if it has a changeable band, as the Charge 2 HR does (thanks to @zzz for pointing that out on the blog). Not good that your husband's only lasted 8 months before it packed in.

I hope you get a good one for Christmas.

I agree a chart comparing the features would be good. I thought about creating one myself but it was too much work.

4. Clark Ellis

Clark Ellis Established Member

The display on the Blaze looks nice, and it has a good heart rate tracker by the looks of things. Good idea to charge it while in the shower.

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure I found the right thread but just wanted to pipe in that I was using a HRM-- a Garmin Vivo.

It worked well for the very basic things I wanted from it but now after 18 months or so it seems the USB charging cable has died on me. Just providing the info for feedback on models.

Little Bluestem, Daisymay and Trish like this.