1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain fog poll

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Jaybee00, Nov 30, 2020.

?

Do you have brain fog?

1. Always, almost always

69 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. Only during PEM

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Never, almost never

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Sometimes

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have brain fog (e.g. impaired concentration, cognition, etc.)?

1) Always, almost always
    2) Only during PEM, otherwise I am normal
    3) Never, almost never (e.g. can read long complex books with no issues)
    4) Sometimes

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2020
    MEMarge, Helene, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I perhaps have trouble spotting mild brain fog because it is a norm. It is only on those rare occasions when I don’t have problems that I realise how impaired my normal cognitive functioning actually is.

3. Jaybee00

I’m intrigued by MECFS patients with no brain fog....seems like they have a better prognosis. I think under IOM you can be diagnosed without cognitive issues.

Helene, Ravn, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I usually have it daily for several hours, then I'm reasonably OK, so none of the answers really apply. Unusually, today I have very little (compared with usual).

Helene, Ravn, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't experience 'brain fog' until 11 years into the illness. It all started when I was improving and started exercising again.

MEMarge, Helene, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Would you consider adding something like,
    Not all the time, but I have cognitive fatiguability, and constant brain fog during PEM/crashes.

I am one of these. At least, when my ME was mild, I managed to keep working part time as a Maths teacher as well as doing an Open University Maths degree very part time. I only had brain fog when in PEM/ crashed then.

My main problem was physical fatiguability and pain, and PEM when I overdid it physically (as little as walking 100 metres several times in a day). Plus a range of the usual extras like OI, nausea, headaches, sore throats, etc etc.

Now my ME is physically pretty severe but my brain fog still relatively mild. I'm really noticing cognitive fatiguability now - I'll get stuck into drafting a letter, concentrate well for 20 minutes, then my brain turn to mush and my typing full of mistakes in every word.

So I'd say I don't have constant brain fog, but it kicks in pretty quickly these days, and I keep having to stop and rest.

If by 'better prognosis' I have no idea for others, but it hasn't been the case for me. I have slowly and steadily got sicker over 30 years.

7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't vote as none of those options apply to me. You need a "sometimes" option. I don't have brain fog all of the time. It's not "almost always" or "almost never" but somewhere in between. It really depends on how I am feeling that day. A bad night's sleep can trigger it, PEM definitely, working too many hours.

8. Jaybee00

Ok to edit as you like.

Kitty likes this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jaybee00 I think you have to do the edits as it is your post. We don't have the option to edit the poll.

10. Jaybee00

@Trish can edit to incorporate your option and hers.

alktipping and Kitty like this.
  11. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, I think 'always, but the severity fluctuates a lot' fits best. Also, 'cognitive impairment' would be a better term, since ME causes cognitive symptoms that go beyond mere 'brainfog'.

MEMarge, Helene, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't remember a time before brain fog! :laugh: I've had it since the mid-70s.

Every now and again I get a couple of hours without it. It comes as such a surprise to find myself able to think clearly that it startles me!

I was reasonably bright as a youngster; I reckon that, during my adult the years, I've had to get by on between 20% and 60% of my real intellectual potential because of brain fog. :rolleyes:

MEMarge, Helene, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  13. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My brain fog depends on how much / what quality sleep I get. The effects of sleep deprivation being cumulative. At my old house I was suffering from brain fog and memory issues most of the time due to noise disrupting my sleep.

Helene, Ravn, Bill and 6 others like this.
  14. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is cognitive fatigue a part of brain fog? Maybe I’ve always been incorrectly considering it as part of the brain fog symptom constellation.

Helene, Ravn, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  15. leokitten

Yes totally, for me the cumulative sleep disturbance and deprivation affect most of my ME symptoms and exertion capacity before getting PEM.

16. leokitten

Yes when it’s bad I describe it to others when they ask that it’s as if I have early dementia, it’s what I imagine dementia would be like.

17. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Most of the time I dont notice it because i am not asking a lot of my brain. I gave up work because I couldn’t trust my brain any more, and my memory is pretty poor. I cant read a decent book any more. If I try to concentrate on something for a couple of hours, i get a headache...

18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have difficulty processing, concentrating and absorbing information when I have cognitive PEM. I feel brain sick/nauseous. I've never had issues with memory though.

MEMarge, Helene, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - I did both my Open University degrees when I had ME. It took me maybe twice as long, but I did well. That's before I suffered my worsening a few years ago.

MEMarge, Ravn, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks.
    They were much the same, so I've just added 'sometimes, which I think means all options are covered well enough.

MEMarge, Helene, Ravn and 3 others like this.