1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

British Psychological Society: Development and promotion of valid psychological screening to predict chronicity, post COVID-19 infection, 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 13, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oof. They sure have a fantastical perception of what they do, because on all counts it's a complete failure. "Understand physical illness", good grief.

It frankly reads just like any other alternative medicine, all promises with nothing to actually show for it. It's really just an aspirational list of goals, not anything they can actually do.

Or like Bullshido masters, who at least usually have the good sense never to step out of their theater, sorry I mean McDojo. It usually ends about exactly like this little episode, although I'm sure this guy will take all the wrong lessons out of it.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think it's of note that Lex Medica, the source of that information I quoted above, is an organisation that facilitates medical professionals being expert witnesses in court cases. It is not completely clear to me who Patrick Hill has worked for in those cases.

I also didn't notice the first time I read that Lex Medica information that Patrick Hill is 'registered as a Chartered Scientist by the Science Council'. Hill's ability to understand what is good science, and to act ethically would seem to be limited, given he can put his name to statements like this:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    MEMarge, lycaena, Sean and 8 others like this.
  3. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I remember properly the person in the video just read out the proposal?

I think the most official explanation were these 2 Tweets:

Code:
    https://twitter.com/BPSOfficial/status/1437716385531105284
    Edited: About the campaign: https://www.bps.org.uk/senate

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Kalliope like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Merged thread
    Coyne has written a blog about the British Psychological Society's attempts to introduce psychological screening for long covid

Just Say “No!” to Psychological Screening to Predict and Treat #LongCovid | by James C. Coyne | Sep, 2021 | Medium

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2021
    Joan Crawford, Sean, Amw66 and 18 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bps.org.uk/sites/www.bp.../DCP/DCP Covid-19 Bulletin - October 2021.pdf

(Page 3):
    The BPS has been using a new system for choosing its annual Senate campaign this year. Member networks were invited to submit suggestions on a policy area and individuals could only submit a suggestion with the approval of the network chair.

However, due to an administrative error, one proposal to 'develop and promote valid psychological screening to predict chronicity post-Covid-19 infection' was accepted without having been seen by either DCP or DHP. When the video of this proposal was posted on twitter and drew critical attention, the error was recognised and the proposal withdrawn.

It is very unfortunate that this happened. It caused anger and distress and it was thought by some to be a policy statement from the BPS rather than a proposal being put by one member to the membership. It had not been seen by or endorsed by the DCP.

Following the Twitter discussions, we invited Louise Kenward to write an article for the Covid Bulletin exploring the issues raised by the proposal and, more widely, the links between Long Covid and similar conditions like Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

Louise Kenward writes:

Following the rapid withdrawal to the recently published video (13/9/21) by the British Psychological Society official Twitter account, I am grateful to the invitation to contribute to this newsletter. Long Covid is a post viral illness where symptoms persist for more than three months. The latest estimates, published in June, suggest that more than two million people in the UK have had Long Covid since the pandemic began, while figures released by the National Office of Statistics in April show that more than 120,000 of those are NHS staff.

Long Covid follows a long line of post-viral illnesses. Millions of people around the world have experienced very similar things to people now living with Long Covid: they have contracted an illness, but have not recovered. Many of these people have gone on to be diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS – a complex multi system neurological condition).

continues (~12 pages)

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

(Edit - thanks Rvallee for posting about the BPS Bulletin)

Wow, I kept on wanting to share paragraphs of that article by Louise Kenward with you. That is quite a shift, getting an article like that in the BPS Covid-19 Bulletin. Louise talks about how illnesses similar to Long Covid have long been seen after other viral illnesses. She talks about the stigma of these illnesses.

There's talk of the PACE trial, how people could deteriorate, and still be labelled as recovered. And how it is used in universities as an example of 'how badly research can go wrong'.

Louise talks about the useful things that psychologists can do to help people with ME/CFS, for example, processing grief.

The next article in the bulletin is about IAPT and Long Covid. Even that was talking about 'energy management' and listening to the patient to start with. But then the talk turned to vicious cycles and how CBT can break them. There are links to information sources: the Covid-19 rapid guideline (which completely ignores ME/CFS and PEM); NHSE IAPT webinars on Long Covid; and NHS Plan for Long Covid 2021-22 (I haven't seen the webinars and plan; I don't know what they are like).

And then the next article is worse, I think.
    Vicious Flower? It seems it is the famous vicious cycle on steroids - multiple vicious cycles all reinforcing each other. The cycles are petals that can be 'plucked off', one by one.

So, the British Psychological Society is certainly giving mixed messages. But 'mixed' is a major step forward from 'wall to wall bio-psychosocial certainty'. It feels as though things are changing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    rvallee, Wyva, SNT Gatchaman and 8 others like this.
  7. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How had I missed this thread! I'm not in Clinical or Health sections so I don't see the bulletin. The later section of the BPS was dominated for a long time by AW. Enough said.

Bloomin' heck. Swift about turn thankfully. Should never have seen the light of day.

The BPS is in turmoil currently. Not had time to keep up to pace with what is up, tbh.

After the div of clinical psychology awarded Richard Brown a 'medal' for his woo about MUS back in 2013 where he claimed to be able to 'explain the unexplained' via hypnosis and psychobabble I thought it was timely to challenge this. I did and I had a balanced criticism of his work published in The Psychologist. And I got positive feedback form colleagues (ditto recent publications re FM and MUS). But, no response from Richard. Not a bean.

bobbler, Lilas, rvallee and 13 others like this.