Channel 4 News 19 February 2024: Features Clare Norton, mother of Merryn Crofts

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dx Revision Watch, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Amy101 Hello :heart:
    Thank you so much for popping in at this emotional time for your family.

I can’t imagine how your mum felt when she spoke on camera about the loss of your sister and the terrible treatment that came before.

I am so grateful to your mum for her bravery and to all of you for what you do for Merryn and by extension all of us.

All my best wishes X

Amy101, Ariel, Tia and 23 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

George Monbiot on Twitter, sharing the video.

"It's time that everyone stopped gaslighting ME and Long Covid patients. These are real and devastating conditions, however politically convenient it might be to deny them (and to deny benefit payments to the patients!). Those who attack and mock pile suffering upon suffering."

Amy101, Ariel, Tia and 24 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Which is the real psychosocial pathology for this disease. The most important feature of which is that it is entirely secondary and contingent – that is, completely unnecessary. And, of course, cruel beyond words.

When are those responsible for creating this horrendously inhumane situation going to be held to anything vaguely resembling appropriate accountability, and permanently removed from all positions of power and influence?

RedFox, Amy101, Ariel and 19 others like this.
  4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks also to those who have chosen not to correct my use of the verb advocate. As a pedant, I know that the temptation would have been great if the shoe had been on the other foot. Given the frequency of this misuse of the word and the dynamism of the English language, it is perhaps only a matter of time before it becomes grammatically acceptable to advocate for somebody.

Kitty, MrMagoo, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  5. Ash

You’re welcome to join us early adopters anytime my friend.

6. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 11 others like this.
  7. Ash

8. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, MEMarge, Sean and 9 others like this.
  9. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With ME Awareness Day coming up in May, should be an opportunity to build on this coverage with some kind of follow-up - you would hope.

10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Ariel, MEMarge, Sean and 12 others like this.
  11. Solstice

ME Awareness Day is very important but I think it's more important to just have constant reminders throughout the year about our plight. I don't know if the science behind spaced repetition holds up, but if it does it would seem to me that the best way to really make knowledge about us stick is to have a reminder every couple of weeks.

Wits_End, bobbler, Kingfisher and 8 others like this.
  12. tornandfrayed

tornandfrayed Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you to @Amy101 and your mum, who was wonderful, although it must have been hard. This was great, it feels like a turning point. I'm very emotional and full of gratitude to all involved in making this piece

Amy101, MEMarge, bobbler and 15 others like this.
  13. Solstice

Reaction(likely auto-generated) that I got back. I do hope that with the positive feedback about the show and the heartbreaking stories they're getting through so many channels, they will be incentivized to do follow-up stories.

Ariel, MEMarge, Sean and 17 others like this.
  14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks and congratulations to everyone involved in this broadcast—I've only just found out about it by logging on here.

What struck me most was the lack of bitterness in the contributions from the two parents. I couldn't have done that without sounding bitter and angry (which would have been counterproductive of course), and it was extraordinary to watch.

It was great to see Dr Gabor too. He was doing what consultants are supposed to do—monitor their patients, whether or not they can help them feel better. It's one of the ways medicine learns about the natural course of illnesses, the variations in presentation and progression, and what strategies work and don't work. One of the reasons pwME are not taken seriously (in Britain at least) is that the majority are not managed by a consultant.

ETA: Spelling of Dr Gabor's name corrected.

Amy101, Ariel, Tia and 17 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The vast majority are not managed by anyone in NHS

MEMarge, Sean, Chezboo and 13 others like this.
  16. Robert 1973

Lindberg, Amy101, Ariel and 30 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Great he highlighted that awful patronising Chalder et al video.

Ariel, rvallee, MeSci and 16 others like this.
  18. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, EzzieD, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  19. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He was probably mirroring the sort of language he hears from patients, as it was for a general TV audience. He might phrase things differently when speaking to fellow doctors.

MEMarge, Sean, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  20. Robert 1973

I don’t think it’s “politically incorrect” it’s just the wrong argument to make from a scientific or medical perspective. All illness is real and physical. The point is that ME is not a psychological illness, and it does not respond to psycho-behavioural interventions.

In many cases type 2 diabetes, and many other illness which are not psychological, can be effectively treated with psychological and/or behavioural interventions. Unfortunately, ME is not one of them.

A friend of mine is currently recovering from psychosis. He appears to have responded positively to ECT. He had a psychiatric illness which was also real and physical.

These arguments are not difficult to get right, but it can be hard to use the correct language and get the right messages across with limited time in the general media for audiences who are not familiar with the issues.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Ariel, rvallee, Tia and 14 others like this.