1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Fatigue in the Context of Pediatric Physical and Mental Illness, 2020, Loades and Chalder

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-981-10-0753-8_33-1

Mental Health and Illness of Children and Adolescents pp 1-8 | Cite as

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Wrong! That's idiopathic chronic fatigue. Even by the NICE description, there have to be other symptoms. How do they get away with this stuff?

As a conclusion to a research paper, that comes under the heading of making stuff up to suit preconceptions, not science.

Starlight, MEMarge, Mithriel and 21 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is completely incompetent. They have no idea what they're talking about and still they're getting funding in the millions doing the same 3 things over and over in a loop, what is this madness?

Can't even get the most basic things right. After decades as self-proclaimed experts. Don't even get THE FIRST THING right. By this illogic MS is on a paralysis continuum with paraplegia and MND, how are completely incompetent people like that even allowed to operate with a medical license?!

https://sci-hub.tw/https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-981-10-0753-8_33-1

Starlight, DokaGirl, Lisa108 and 12 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK I'm dumbfounded by the incompetence here. They are incapable of learning it's just incredible. It took 3 years for my dog to learn how to use the stairs and, 30 years later, these people still can't learn the first damn thing about this.
    THIS IS COMPLETELY BACKWARDS! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder they harp on the boom-and-bust cycle when they completely distorted everything. These are self-proclaimed experts in the behavior of fatigue and they actually manage to get the behavior even more wrong than literally everyone else. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Starlight, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Fatigue is often associated with chronic diseases. Nevertheless management strategies which regularise activity and sleep can help reduce fatigue and improve quality of life."

Biomedical treatment not mentioned? For example, the chronic disease hypothyroidism, includes fatigue that can be very debilitating. Appropriate thyroid meds would do much more to regularize activity, and improve quality of life, than urging increased exercise and sleep hygiene. Without a doubt, most chronic physical diseases are best served by biomedical therapies.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As soon as I read Chalders name my eyes automatically roll. You just know it’s going to be more of the same BUMF

7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ignorance is staggering. Many of the people with ME DO NOT EXPERIENCE FATIGUE!!!

I had paediatric ME but my first presentation to the medical system was an inability to pass urine (a common symptom in the Royal Free epidemic) I did not volunteer to then that I also had episodes of paralysis, double vision, vertigo and disabling episodes of cognitive deficits. I also had faulty temperature control, bulbar palsy and other strange things. But I never missed school.

They just have to ask, but that might prove them wrong.