1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Fibromyalgia (FM): the foundation of a relationship, Mckay et al, 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2049463719875164

Perrier, Peter Trewhitt and sebaaa like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

shak8, alktipping, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

? why use the terminology quasi experimental design it is either experimental or it isn't . and if anyone has to create a novel design for an experiment it should be explained in full to the minutest detail plus the reasoning for design changes . my sceptical self believes a lot of so called studies are planned to get an all ready determined outcome by changing their design .

4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quasi-experimental study is a research methodology terminology

Here is what wiki says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-experiment

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Under that description, quasi experimental makes no sense in this case because it's not a treatment trial. Perhaps they are referring to the participants being self selected from online recruitment, which might lead to biases in who is interested in participating.

6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a cross-sectional study design--batches of questionnaires given to two different groups at a single point in time. Then they compared the groups. I don't get how it is experimental in any way, quasi or non-quasi.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All this illustrates is the lack of specificity of either the criteria or the questionnaires. Only with understanding of the underlying pathology can they be truly linked.