Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I see Dearden is Sheffield based. Maybe he’s aware through Simon Duffy at Centre for Welfare Reform who is also in Sheffield. Or they also have a pretty active ME group and did a pretty big Millions Missing event this year.

2. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just in case anyone is wondering about the context there, 'Alison's head' is a PWME and there's a typo in her tweet - she meant, I think, to say, tongue in cheek, 'Thank you Brian. I’m sorry you’re being lumped in with us lowly bottom feeding sick activists!'

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Brian Hughes said on Twitter:
    It seems clear they indulge in the demonizing and misrepresenting for the simple reason they have no capability to address the core issue. Please don't fall for it Cochrane!

4. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, thank you, i was a bit worried about how some people saw us, much better with self-irony!

5. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And perhaps that is how some really view us? That is the world as they see it.

ladycatlover, Inara, Barry and 3 others like this.
  6. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well spotted! I've invited him to David Tuller's talks this week!

7. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Though there is a third sister, Gemma. My guess that would be the one who has/had 'CFS'.

Now if I was into all that psychology stuff, I could make a number of speculations about Fiona and Claire's utter conviction that Gemma's illness is one of unhelpful beliefs, including stuff about birth order, etc.

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect Claire and Fiona locked Gemma in the wardrobe and there is a lot of subconscious guilt.

I only hope that if one of them did have ME things have not worked out too badly.

9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ahhh. I was wondering about something the past few days, and here comes the answer.

I adjusted swiftly to my restrictions, including keeping PEM as small as possible (well...). One could call this "sickness behavior". I often see how people look. Sometimes they seem aghast or embarrassed. (Please note I am not severe, and I look healthy.) Authorities called it "aggravational and demonstrative behavior". Since people's and authorities' reactions cause unpleasant feelings in myself, I was earnestly considering to play the healthy role - at my expense of course. After a second thought I decided it's not worth jeopardizing my health further due to people who can't bear to see sickness.

I think maybe that's one problem: Today, most people don't want to see unpleasant things. Maybe like Prince Sidharta's father who wanted to protect his child from any suffering (which can't work). It seems that sick people should not show their sickness because it reminds the others of suffering - which is an unpleasant feeling and therefore unwelcome. À la "If we have to pay you, grrr - could you please not be a pain in the ass otherwise?"

10. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Churnalism...

"...is a pejorative term for a form of journalism in which press releases, stories provided by news agencies, and other forms of pre-packaged material, instead of reported news, are used to create articles in newspapers and other news media."

Churnalism - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churnalism

11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If true, that may be the most terrifying thing I read this week.

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have made an early draft and would appreciate some feedback, especially in the naming names department. This will be sent only to the relevant Reuters editor so it likely will not be made public but there are people here concerned and I may have missed a few salient details.

This is early but I don't want to send it much later than mid-week so I'm at least putting the rough outline forward. I'm copying from Google Docs so apologies if formatting is screwed up.

To the editors and managing editor responsible for the publication of the report titled “Exclusive: Science journal to withdraw chronic fatigue review amid patient activist complaints”,...

Moderator note

The rest of this letter and the subsequent discussion with editorial suggestions has been moved to a new thread here:

Letter to Reuters about their Cochrane ME/CFS GET review article

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2018
  13. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

15. Jonathan Edwards

This slightly OT but I was looking at the Cochrane CBT for ME review again.

This review came out in 2008 and despite noting some greater reduction in reports of fatigue in studies of CBT at the end of treatment the final conclusion is quite clearly negative. The evidence is not considered consistent or convincing and more studies are needed.

That of course is interesting in the light of the claim that PACE changed nothing and that it was already known that CBT worked. In fact systematic review says 'not proven'.

The timing is interesting because NICE had set up guidelines in 2007, before this negative systematic review. It would be reasonable to think, therefore, that in 2017, this negative review might have prompted a review of the guidelines. It would have to be assumed that the decision in 2007 was not substantiated by later analysis.

The only reason for not doing this would be an assumption that PACE had sorted the matter out in favour of CBT. But like the previous studies PACE showed no greater effect with CBT at follow up.

16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full article is locked - I wanted to check if they discussed the problem of biased self reporting and lack of blinding.

18. Jonathan Edwards

Does this mean that this one has been put into cold storage too? They did say something about all the CFS reviews being reconsidered.

19. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It means that unless you have access via an institution you have to pay 6$ to "Unlock the potential of Cochrane evidence"

Hutan, ladycatlover and andypants like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Yes but I have access via an institution. When I try it says the page is not available.

Edit: It seems to be a problem for the whole of Cochrane for me.

Has Cochrane just shut down!!?