Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As i said several pages ago this outcome was my fear from the beginning, & although i now see it as unlikely to have been Tovey's original intention, the outcome is the same.
    What a devastating master stroke :cry:

Invisible Woman and Simone like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never read the recent full Dutch report. But my understanding was it only recommended against graded exercise therapy not CBT. Though as I recall it did make a statement that people shouldn't be forced to therapies.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They already had good justifications for withdrawal. Larun choosing to behave badly again may have helped put political pressure on Cochrane, but it provided no real reason to not withdraw the review. Cochrane had already been too 'reasonable' to Larun, and thus unreasonable to those who are harmed by misleading claims in Cochrane reviews. I see this as just being Cochrane backing down to pressure from those supporting Larun/PACE, and not as a part of any sort of tactic for preventing people being misled about the efficacy of GET by eventually withdrawing Larun's review.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of powerful people working against us behind the scenes. They wouldn't want to do it in the open because they don't have the arguments for debate, and I think that there's now an awareness that PACE, etc could still go badly and make all those involved look pretty terrible. I think that Cochrane are going to feel far more pressure to protect PACE/Larun than produce a good quality GET review. There are a lot of people who want to maintain low standards for researchers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes, anybody who thought otherwise really hasn't been paying attention.

This.

5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think it depends on whether Cochrane take a short or long term view. In the short term they can cover up and brush the issues under the carpet which is what they have done up until now. But they can't do this forever. Pushing the issues out into the open is interesting because they cannot deny they didn't know about them. So I think if they fail to act their brand will be damaged in the long term.

Letting Larun redo the review seems like a bad idea - she has already proved herself not competent and willing to change the reporting from the protocol to get the result she believes in. So giving her another chance to perhaps be more subtle this time is not a good idea from the Cochrane perspective. They should know we will look in detail at what they produce.

I think one of the real issues may be that there is so much bad research out there that if PACE collapses it could take a whole raft of other literature with it and the backing for a billion dollar industry of CBT (and supporting mental health initiatives from the governments). Also there are influential figures like Wessely who we know lobby behind the scenes.

It makes me wonder if we should look at other reviews, has Larun done any others? Are they of equal poor quality. What about other research in the area that uses similar methodology. Or people like Sharp moving on should we look at his new output.

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree, until I read of the major, major issues with so much of psychological/psychiatric research, as explained by Brian Hughes, I hadn't appreciated the huge extent of the problems, that being the case there are even more people, more vested interests, desperate to stop the sinking of PACE. If PACE sinks it would focus attention and publicity not only on the rest of ME CBT/GET research but on a huge raft of psych research, lots of reputations, lots of institutions could come under scrutiny. It's major.

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This fight goes way past PACE and this little corner of medicine. Wessely & co want to impose this on the whole world, and they have never shown any sign of slowing down or backing off their claim demand. Quite the contrary.

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. They want to establish a new kind of medicine where every illness is biopsychosocial and psychiatrists treat the psychosocial aspects. "Psychosocial" can mean whatever they want, therefore treating psychosocial aspects means doing whatever they wish. Evidence that such an approach is useful will obviously come in the form of PACE-like studies.

This powergrab will be detrimental to patients just like CBT/GET/PACE was detrimental to patients and only served establishment and guild interests.

Simone, Inara, ladycatlover and 9 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The alternative of course is to write another review and get it published within the time frame. That would be hard work but perfectly feasible.

10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wanted to add a more optimistic interpretation of events: maybe the Cochrane editors have pretty much decided that the Larun et al. review must go. But in making this rather controversial decision, they wanted to give the impression that Larun et al. were given all possibilities to correct their mistakes... (I know, a lot of wishful thinking, here)

Do you mean a full review of the effectiveness of GET in ME/CFS as an alternative to Cochrane? That would be pretty awesome, but I would still very much like Cochrane to state that there is no evidence for GET's effectiveness in ME/CFS. An alternative review will allmost certainly have less authority and influence than Cochrane...

Invisible Woman, Simone, inox and 7 others like this.
  11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just saw this prominently placed on Cochrane's website. Is this new?

[​IMG]

http://crowd.cochrane.org/index.html

12. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How on earth do you do another review when the original papers haven't collected any useful objective data? Any review of these studies is flawed because the studies themselves are flawed.

ETA: Cochrane reviews necessarily have to rely on the outcome measures that were chosen by the original studies. The whole point of Bob's criticism was that they didn't do this, and yet my main criticism would be that it even tried to combine studies that used such unhelpful subjective measures. There is nowhere to go on this. We can't criticise them for not using the pre-specified measures, and then critcise them for using the pre-specified measures that they did use (if that makes any sense!).

13. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Couldn't this be the review's gist then: To display the poor evidence?

Edit:

Perhaps combining @Jonathan Edwards ' and @Adrian 's suggestions and write a new review with references to other reviews that show poor evidence on exercise treatments? (e.g. MS related fatigue, cancer related fatigue, rheumatoid arthritis related fatigue.)

14. Lucibee

Possibly, but you can only do that if they had collected anything objective that would show that up. If they didn't even collect data on patients' exercise targets and compliance during the trials, then we have nothing.

Simone, ladycatlover, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Are they open to that?

16. Adrian

That makes a review quicker as there is no data to review? Some have objective data though such as PACE has the 6mwt.

17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We could really use some friendly media coverage
    There are also the Dutch studies (Nijmegen group/Bleijenberg) referred to in the TMG minutes which found that actigraphy showed no improvement despite improvements in self-reported fatigue. (Good summary on @Lucibee’s blog: https://lucibee.wordpress.com/2018/05/09/pace-trial-whatever-happened-to-actigraphy/). Not sure if that data is published or not.

18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But that is OK. I see no reason not to set up a review and conclude that there are no studies that produce data worth considering as reliable. The Chinese herbs one is a bit like that. And in a sense I have already done that. And haven't some Dutch people written a paper with this gist?

There is no need for the review to follow anybody else's special rules, either. As I see it the Cochrane review now has no authority. As for influence - who knows?

19. Lucibee

20. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if it would even be possible to do a competing Cochrane review? I don't know if there's any kind of rule that only one group can do them.

Simone, lycaena, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.