1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

three years is ridiculous

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The one thing you can be sure of, is that it has naff all to do with good science. Far more to do with mucky political networking is my thinking.
    The encouragement I take is that despite the machiavellian coercion that must inevitably be in full swing (I mean, really, what are the odds that that is not happening!), Cochrane have made this quite forceful statement. I would like to think it might be signalling - and intended to be seen as signalling, given its timing - a new broom sweeping clean. I'll allow myself to daydream for a while.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They've had 2 years to respond to undeniable flaws that discredit the entire review. Meanwhile a flawed review continues to harm patients around the world, something that will be deserving of serious lawsuits in the future as they have shown to be aware of the issues for a long time and have elected to maintain their recommendations.

Cochrane are absolutely not taking seriously the impact having flawed medical guidelines has on patients suffering from a highly disabling disease. The concerns and reputation of a review's authors are being held above the patients' well-being. This is reckless and irresponsible.

Wonko, shak8, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Yet it is still there and the warning is small. I wonder what the legal position is in that there comment suggests they know the work isn't up to standard but they are keeping the work published anyway. If someone were to rely on the review I wonder if they could be held liable for any issues or even the money spent on GET when the outcomes are less certain than they claim. However, I suspect since no one has a contract with Cochrane that there cannot be a case for liability?

MEMarge, andypants, Skycloud and 10 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the previous note was more critical of Larun et al. (not approved publication of the re‐submission. The review is also substantially out of date and in need of updating) than this one. An amendment by the authors will not do, if the conclusions are still based on subjective outcomes only.

Interesting choice of wording also: it seems that Cochrane is more interested in making a flawed review "defensible", rather than writing a good review. I get the impression that the problem for them is criticism of their brand, rather than a flawed review causing harm to patients.

Wonko, MEMarge, andypants and 14 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'How much can we let Larun get away with without them completely embarrassing us?!'

WillowJ, MEMarge, andypants and 6 others like this.
  8. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t think there needs to be a contract. As I understand, the legal requirement is for there to be a duty of care, for that duty to have been breached, and for that breach to have caused injury or loss.

If someone could prove that they had suffered injury or loss as direct consequence of Cochrane’s failure to take adequate measures in response to known problems with the review, then I think they could sue for negligence. The difficulty would be in proving that the injury or loss was caused by Cochrane’s actions (or inaction).

Disclaimer: I have no legal expertise.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that is right. Cochrane produce reviews knowing that they will be used for guidelines. They have given themselves a duty of care. If it could be shown that NICE guidelines were critically influenced by a Cochrane review that was known to be defective then I think there would be a legal case against Cochrane. It would probably never get anywhere but there would be a legal case. The difficult bit would be proving that NICE had been critically influenced by Cochrane I think.

sb4, MEMarge, andypants and 11 others like this.
  10. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nailed it.

WillowJ, Snowdrop, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://twitter.com/user/status/1118040833469685760

Woolie, Barry, JaneL and 9 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

More information from Cochrane:
    https://www.cochrane.org/news/appointment-new-editor-chief-cochrane-library
    more at link.

Barry, JaneL, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alarm bells ringing already, if the GET review isn't withdrawn by the end of May it may never be.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    sb4, Barry, Sean and 12 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not necessarily, she has involved in drug trials and systematic reviews for a wide range of conditions.

For her reviews of CBT, the studies have been rated as low/very low quality. For "Psychosocial interventions for the prevention of relapse in bipolar disorder", the conclusion was "Cognitive-behavioural therapy, group psychoeducation and possibly family therapy may be beneficial as adjuncts to pharmacological maintenance treatments."

Jim001, Woolie, Barry and 15 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did she say anything about CBT for schizophrenia? If she can see the problems in that area, she should also see them in ME/CFS.

Liessa, Esther12, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is the phrase evidence-based health care that always makes my heart sink, as usually in relation to ME it is code for bad and misleading evidence. Let's hope Dr Soares-Weiser has a better understanding of reliable evidence than her predecessor. Given her previous role in Cochrane she can not but be aware of the controversy around their reviews in relation to ME/CFS, so I guess we will find out fairly soon what her stand on is in relation to the 'evidence' supporting the use of GET/CBT and as to which group should host ME.

[added - There is the risk that given she is an internal appointment she will pursue Tovey's policy of putting protection of the brand and avoiding controversy above scientific objectivity, but let's hope not.]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Liessa, Woolie, WillowJ and 12 others like this.
  18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Apart from the above, this also rang my alarm bell:

I can't pretend I know exactly what it means, but I know it makes me feel uneasy.

Woolie, sb4, Barry and 15 others like this.
  19. large donner

large donner Guest

As she is a psychiatrist there's a risk that she was an "external appointment", especially with Toveys sudden departure announcement.

Barry and Sean like this.
  20. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She was Deputy Editor in Chief of the Cochrane Library before this appointment, so it's more a promotion.

Barry, ScottTriGuy, Sean and 8 others like this.