1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane Review: 'Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome' 2017, Larun et al. - Recent developments, 2018-19

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

three months now

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As you know I’m somewhat cynical ;)

My bet is whatever the next announcement or step in this is it is now definitely planned for publication on the website on 31 October :whistle:

MSEsperanza, andypants, Barry and 7 others like this.
  3. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes, Halloween, such a great date to publish things, or leave things. What a shame it doesn't coincide with a full moon as well! ;)

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, that will be it. They've prorogued their review process.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a good start, Karla.

6. NelliePledge

:D

ladycatlover and Barry like this.
  7. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There seem to be two documents published on eInnsyn which we haven't seen yet (documents from 24.06.2019, published 08.08.2019)

edited to add: Google translate of the title: "Complaint - Denial of access to document 12 and 13 in case 17/10566"

So doesn't seem to be correspondence between Cochrane and the reviewers' team.

Documents 12 & 13 were already published and posted on this thread.

https://einnsyn.no/saksmappe?id=http://data.einnsyn.no/noark4/Saksmappe--983744516--11291--2019

@Kalliope

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    JohnTheJack, Sly Saint, Joh and 9 others like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for keeping an eye on that. Please let us know if you get anything new.

9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. I've sent a FOI-request for the documents. Doubt they will contain anything of interest, but just to be sure.

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't understand, are they retrospectively trying to block access to those two documents?

MSEsperanza likes this.
  11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, @Kalliope

I have no idea. Maybe someone requested access to the e-mails attachments and that's what was denied. (I didn't check which e-mails had attachments though).

But I'm sure @Kalliope will have an answer soon.

Another question @Kalliope: Do you know whether it's also possible to request an update on the reporting of any additional documents on the case? (The intervals between the dates when the e-mails were sent and the dates when they were reported to eInnsyn seem rather arbitrary to me.)

12. Snow Leopard

The issue is that the (former) editor was demanding changes or a voluntary retraction by the authors (to avoid loss of face for both the journal and the authors), yet the authors were unwilling to do either, presumably because they knew the editor was retiring and they may get a different decision by the new editor. Presumably the new editor has persisted with the former editor's demands, leading to a stalemate. The only resolution that I see is to demand the changes or the journal will retract the article.

WillowJ, ukxmrv, Lidia and 4 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really don't get how these people think.

They were told to alter it or it would be retracted.

They didn't.

So there is no reason not to retract it, and every reason to do so.

It's really really simple and I am surprised that neither the authors or cochrane gets it.

Not retracting it makes cochrane look weak, bad and liars. As if they were bluffing, for some unknown reason.

Not retracting it when clear conditions were set, and these haven't been met, is dishonest.

With the authors, as with any immature being, once a pronouncement is made it must be followed through on, if all respect, and hence control, isn't to be lost.

14. Snow Leopard

They're afraid of the big loss of face, namely they'd have to admit they had an article up for years that didn't meet their quality standards. They also no doubt have certain UK and Dutch psychiatrists in their ears about how terrible it would be to give ammunition to the skeptical patient community (those of us who actually demand the same quality of evidence as would be required for a pharmacological treatment).

EzzieD, Sean, rainy and 9 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me, those copies of correspondence indicated that Tovey wasn't asking for much of a change, and I didn't see it as indicating Cochrane had really understood all the problems with the research used to promoted exercise therapy for CFS. I would still expect any updated review from Larun to be bad so am not too concerned by any delay.

WillowJ, EzzieD, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  16. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good question. I have no idea, though..

17. Snow Leopard

No news is good news?

ladycatlover likes this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure it matters any more. All the people to whom the review is relevant are now well aware that a lot of people think it is incompetent. They may or may not agree but that is another issue.

What matters in the UK is NICE and I suspect other countries that might be looking over their shoulder are more likely to follow NICE than Cochrane. I think NICE will make its own mind up, whatever happens to this review.

19. NelliePledge

Surely enough of the discussion is out in the open that whatever happens anyone claiming this review is authoritative is going to look foolish even if it isn’t retracted

20. Snow Leopard

Nope. The average medical practitioner (for example, the GP I saw who looked up CFS on Wikipedia) does not look very deep at the evidence and still expects the Cochrane brand to do the thinking for them.