Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have sent the Red Cross to 7 long term care facilities in my city.

We had it 'under control' and moved to stage 3, but now we are back to stage 2 for another month.

2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed. Instead, it's full of tin-hat conspiracy theories.

Perhaps if we didn't have leaders whose actions and decision-making have left the satirists struggling for material, the rest of us might be able to behave more rationally...

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't bookmarked but I saw a report, maybe NZ actually, that quantified the drop as something like 99.8% reduction. That's incredible.

Maybe it will lead to a recognition of the need to actually track and control infectious diseases, even minor ones, instead of letting them run amok and sending people home to deal with symptoms, entirely depriving medicine of experience dealing with those symptoms.

5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. FMMM1

You'd need to check the data security laws; also typically there are emergency powers i.e. to do what is necessary ---- sometimes proposed barriers are just convenient excuses for sitting on your ---

7. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Going back to Florida, I hear there's going to be a Trump rally there shortly. And it's expected that most of the participants won't be wearing masks :(

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

More proof,in my opinion, that the UK is losing whatever amount of control that it had on Covid-19.

Covid: Sage scientists called for short lockdown weeks ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54518002

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still 'following' the science - following a month late that is.

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that the rule of six, and the fact that some people wear masks occasionally, is so much more effective at preventing the spread of covid, than lockdown (where the 'most clinically vulnerable' were told/asked to 'shield') that there is no need for them to do so.

I'm not sure, but which way should the case numbers be going if the rule of six is more effective than lockdown? So much more effective that those who were deemed at increased risk of requiring hospital treatment, during a lockdown, are no longer at risk.

By which I mean I am sure, but that our leaders seem to think the opposite, so I must be mistaken, somehow.

11. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately it went about as predicted. Dr. Fauci has warned that these are likely to become super-spreader events, like that ceremony in the Rose Garden that seems to have infected 34, only much larger. It seems that science, expertise and facts have no particular effect on this campaign. The question now is if the consequences will become apparent before the election.

Today's Florida COVID-19 numbers are not encouraging: 2,725 new cases and 119 deaths. If this rate went on for a year, we would have over 40,000 deaths in this state alone. This is not normal.

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have watched short interviews with some of the supporters attending the rally in Florida, many don't have any issues with contracting the virus and referring to it as the 'flu'. They don't trust Dr. Fauci.

One women said if Trump told them to wear masks then they would wear them.

One male supporter said that wearing a mask is more dangerous than the virus, and that it can cause carbon dioxide poisoning.

13. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oregon to change how it reports COVID-19 recoveries

14. FMMM1

Invisible Woman likes this.
  15. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Florida's disputes about COVID-19 deaths just got uglier. The departing state speaker of the house just wrote a memo blaming overworked medical examiners for upping the count of deaths. Medical examiners have fired back. There is no question that the people are dead, or that they died while infected with SARS-CoV-2. Medical examiners are following standards set by the CDC. They do not automatically blame the virus as the cause of death in every case. The problem is that some people wish the numbers were smaller. Our total is now over 15,700. (Would it be okay if it were *only* 10,000?) I can't yet show you the original news item itself.

Here's another account you may be able to access.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, merylg and 4 others like this.
  16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely one of the countries that pioneered the use of microfiche should be able to make the numbers smaller if they wanted to.

Sounds an ideal solution, publish all of the information, but put it in a form that no one, other than government and the odd university, has readers for any more.

Granted, not as desirable as having smaller numbers of people dying, but smaller numbers, could help with the public image.

I can just imagine how this could be spun;

Interviewer : How many people died this week?

Spokesperson : Really, really small numbers compared with last week, practically invisible, you'd hardly notice them.

Interviewer : So many less people died?

Spokesperson : Really small numbers, vanishingly small. Much smaller numbers than we have ever recorded before. Much smaller numbers than anyone has ever seen before. We are the best at making really small numbers. We're doing it better than any other country.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  17. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Coronavirus: Teenager infects 11 relatives with Covid-19 during family holiday

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...ly-holiday/ar-BB19Zwhg?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=ASUDHP

Remind me up to what age it's believed that children don't transmit the virus to adults?

AliceLily, Michelle, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Florida they can probably refer euphemistically to the excess over the state speaker's numbers as "hanging chads".

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Although this is inevitably political, it focusses strongly on the scientific and ethical implications for virus spread.
    https://www.adn.com/nation-world/20...white-house-attention-appalls-top-scientists/

ladycatlover, AliceLily, Sean and 6 others like this.
  20. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead:

Again with the idea that everyone who is "young" is healthy. What about all those who are in age terms low risk but live with long term health condtions?
    Diabetes, asthma and so on.

Several of my husband's work colleagues who are only in the 40s have heart conditions, one guy had a stroke. Or they live in a household where someone has a health problem that makes them more vulnerable to problems if they contract covid.

Isn't is interesting when it's a pandemic the "others" who live with long term health problems should stay at home? As far as the DWP is concerned thise same people should be perfectly capable of living normal lives and holding down jobs despite health problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.