1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No one doubts the peaks in march/april.

But what does it mean in context.

So euromomo countries had 2018 very high excess mortality from flue 140.000 over, say, 3-4 months

now with corona in 6 weeks or so 190.000.

Where now is the killer virus, yes , its not that it is no problem, but then? Is it justified to risk normal live?

Probably it was only because the virus is new, and some countries including UK had LOW mortality quite long time before.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And while I'm posting don't forget all the additional post-infectious disease, like ME, that Sweden (and all other countries that haven't been serious in controlling it) will be seeing due to more of their population being infected - I don't understand ME patients who don't have an appreciation of how serious that will be, coronavirus doesn't need to kill people to ruin lives, as we well know.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The UK is clearly the best country in Europe, at dying.

Despite having the a world beating track and trace system combined with a health service envied by everyone.

I guess, as we're 'winning', our figures do compare favourably with other comparable countries.

Kitty, Nellie, Arnie Pye and 8 others like this.
  4. spinoza577

It´s covid-19 positive deaths, I guess. So it tells not much, and for sure not already the truth. See excess deaths on a wider range.

How relevant at the epidemiological level is it then, do we have data?

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, because, you know, lives matter more than "normal life". And countries that have taken it more seriously are the ones doing better economically and are more quickly getting back to normal life.

Probably??

And using that "low mortality" rate argument, if coronavirus isn't, as you suggest, as lethal as is claimed, why has the mortality rate gone up?

Cheshire, Kitty, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've highlighted how badly Sweden is doing on excess deaths already to you already. And, for sure, it's accurate enough.

Very relevant.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
    Kitty, Chezboo and MEMarge like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how to screenshot this:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/
    It shows Sweden with the 5th highest death rate from Covid per hundred thousand population in Europe. Worse rates are in Belgium, Spain, UK and Italy.

Comparing with other Scandinavian countries:
    Sweden 57.77
    Denmark 11.66
    Finland 6.34
    Norway 5.22

I'm not surprised the UK is one of the worst. We have had appalling failures in test / track / trace / isolate systems that are still pretty useless, a lot of problems at the height of the first wave with lack of protective equipment and tests, infected people being transferred into care homes and spreading infections, and over the summer, many people ignoring social distancing and not wearing face coverings.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Cheshire, Kitty, Arnie Pye and 10 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The UK on the other hand has the 5th highest number of deaths from covid-19 in the world, along with having the sixth highest death rate, per million of, current, population.

The world includes other countries which, currently, have much higher populations, than the UK currently has.

India, which has a population 20 times the size of the UK's, has an eighth of the death rate per million, despite a much weaker health infrastructure.

The same world also has many countries with health systems with vastly less resources than the UK's NHS.

In fact the only country higher than us, with an equivalently resourced health care system, is Italy, who didn't really have any warning, so can't IMO be seen as being on a level playing field.

F - Must try harder!!

ladycatlover, Kitty, merylg and 6 others like this.
  9. spinoza577

The implication of "normal live" is of course harm as well. After the Lehman crash, in the following years, diseases went up. There are more implication, of course.

I think the mortality rate is now also by the WHO estimated to be in the range of 0.23, compared to 0,1 for flu.

This is not answering the question for data.

Again, this doesn´t say anything in itself. If you screen for deaths with candida albicans you might come to similar conclusions. As by now, there is no catastrophe in excess deaths on a wider ranger. In the past two years or so Sweden had much lower mortality as compared to other Nordic countries, I had linked to the graphs in this post:
    -
    -​
    Your graphs seem indeed to be from Euromomo (which I refer to, too), but you might want to look at the whole period for coming to an judgement. Your article from the Financial Times doesn´t manage to do so. Also your dots on total deaths doesn´t indicate a problem specific to Sweden.

10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ft data cam be downloaded
    https://github.com/Financial-Times/coronavirus-excess-mortality-data

Kitty likes this.
  11. Amw66

Attached Files:

Kitty and spinoza577 like this.
  12. Amw66

I don't know what exists in rest UK , or further afield but Scottish government have a dashboard linked to testing results which is broken down to neighbourhoods .

I forwarded the link for town specific info for some relatives, to help them make informed decisions , and check other areas which they may travel to .
    You can customise dates - a useful tool

https://public.tableau.com/profile/...OVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The pursuit of herd immunity is a folly – so who's funding this bad science?
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rd-immunity-funding-bad-science-anti-lockdown

14. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Masks made Czech Republic the envy of Europe, now they've blown it - CNN, October 19, 2020

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/19/europe/czech-republic-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Cheshire, Kitty, spinoza577 and 7 others like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The guardian could do with having a seminar for their science writing staff to refresh them on how to do due diligence when reporting. I know for sure that Sarah Boseley could use this kind of help as she has in the past whenever writing on ME been a big cheerleader for the BPS as they are of course the experts.

A lesson in not accepting authority just because they sound important. Sometimes as in anything mistakes are made. Journalists are supposed to be the gatekeepers of sorts for when that happens.

Edited to add my main point:

A small part of this is on the people at the guardian who didn't do their job. As with so many others when you let politics disguised as science through without challenge or question this is the result.

Kitty, Mithriel, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Michelle and alktipping like this.
  17. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, ladycatlover, merylg and 7 others like this.
  18. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just in case nobody else has linked this, I want to include this link to a video in which Dr. W. Ian Lipkin describes the plan to depend on herd immunity alone as obscene. His estimates of mortality are not wildly overblown. We really could lose over a million Americans.

Here in Florida our peak in case numbers took place in July. Over 2,000 people remain hospitalized. We are still averaging close to 100 deaths per day on a weekly basis.

19. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Today Florida reported 3,662 new cases and 84 resident deaths. This is unusually high for a Monday report, and may indicate an increasing case rate. Previous 7-day averaged cases run just under 3,000 per day (2,988).

Florida has between 4 million and 5 million people at increased risk. Even if I assume 20% have been infected and are now immune, this leaves a huge vulnerable population.

Michelle, Andy and Kitty like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.