Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Check out the video here* i.e. press conference by WHO - from memory the key message is test and trace (trace contacts). The Chinese, and South Korean, Government's were able to massively increase testing i.e. to reduce the transmission of the virus. I'm not sure what the issues are for the UK Government following the mass testing route - lack of PCR test kits/personnel --- both? Anyone know? Is Porton Down capable of producing testing kits on the scale needed?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/world-health-organization-latest-coronavirus-covid19-news/

2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh gosh. I am very, very scared for what’s coming to the UK.

looks like a steeper rise and trajectory than every other country, even Italy.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1239523274285092866

Edit: Grant Schapps MP claiming on TV that the UK is following science while all other countries are being populist.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    ladycatlover and JaneL like this.
  3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lesson from Italy is don't overload your health care system and the Government is doing --?

Also, my impression is that the Italian health care system had more capacity (respirators/ICU places) than the UK.

4. lunarainbows

Yes - Italy has quite a lot more. In terms of beds and intensive care facilities.
    And also the UK is short of 50,000 nurses and 10,000 doctors across the NHS. Which is staggering.

On the BBC news now, my mum says all she sees is doctors and nurses and head teachers and everyone being upset and angry. As the govt is forcing the schools to remain open. They don’t know what they’re doing. One headteacher said when staff go off sick, they have to put two classes together which means kids are all stuffed together in even closer proximity. Parents are taking their kids out of schools and being told it’s unauthorised. And the GPs and doctors are saying they’re not getting tested so no one knows who has it or whether they should stay off work. And if they don’t test in the community they don’t know who is ill.

No lessons have been learned by the UK govt.

5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes I wonder if there is a problem with peoples understanding when they say that they are following 'science'. It suggests that they think science has a single correct answer rather than being a methodology. The problem here is there are a lot of uncertainties. People can build models and try to understand spread patterns but the underlying assumptions will lead to different patterns and different risks. So following she science in this case seems to mean 'we talked to someone who seemed to know what they were talking about and followed that' rather than understanding what is known, where there are uncertain assumptions and how accurate they may be etc.

Sean, Amw66, Michelle and 17 others like this.
  6. lunarainbows

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on the graph posted earlier, it appears the UK and Spain are on a worse trajectory than Italy.

The US is doing better than expected but that could also be an illusion due to low availability of test kits.

Michelle, FMMM1, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  9. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes... I figure the greater the distance between me and the bat the better!

But, in all seriousness, I’m not expecting to be able to avoid contracting Sars-Cov-2 for all that long (even with good infection control practices), as I always seem to get everything going round anyway.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  10. lunarainbows

I created a twitter account to follow this stuff.
    I follow people relevant to the UK though as well as some international.
    @BillHanage associate prof Harvard
    @EmergMedDr doctor in UK
    @ArisKatzourakis Evolution, genomics
    @kallikourdis natural sciences immunology Cambridge
    @bealelab infection lab Crick

11. lunarainbows

@timcolbourn Prof epidemiology UCL
    @KatolaZ complex systems
    @richardjcoker LSHTM
    @devisridhar Chair global health Edinburgh
    @globalhlthtwit Anthony Costello Ex WHO, UCL
    @NAChristakis Prof natural sciences Yale

JaneL, hinterland and ladycatlover like this.
  12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This may be an unwanted intruding comment but from what I've been reading here about the situation in the UK it seems to me that the fault of this foolish response can be laid at the feet of the BPS cabal.

This is exactly the kind of situation that happens when you build power and influence and call it science when what it really only is is politics where a predetermined position is couched in science language and baldly pretends to be something it isn't.

Science requires more than the simplistic blabberings of this lot of ideologues. And now when it really matters in a larger context it fails utterly.

rainy, Art Vandelay, Sean and 11 others like this.
  13. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not living in the UK but from the outside, having followed PACE and through that also some UK politics it seems to be how power structures in the UK work. People are getting into positions of influence despite being seriously incompetent or at best mediocre and are not being questioned because social norms demand not questioning those in positions of power. That also invites irresponsible behaviour by those in power.

Sean, Amw66, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  15. lunarainbows

WHO:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1239587197839380480

It’s as if he is speaking directly to the UK. I don’t think the UK can carry on the same track anymore.

Test every suspected case. Test test test. Trace. Contain. Even mild cases should be looked after so they don’t infect others. Break chain of transmission. Don’t let it affect poorer countries.

NelliePledge, Amw66, FMMM1 and 6 others like this.
  16. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, we had Sir Simon explicitly tweet out that he doesn't have to self-isolate because he doesn't have symptoms after his wife got sick. And somehwere at the beginning of the latestet twiv (#591), unless I completely misunderstood that part, it was stated that we can be pretty sure by now that there are asymptomatic spreaders.

So, there's that.

NelliePledge, Sean, Snowdrop and 8 others like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This graph you include shows an average increase of 33% per day for Italy. If this is the general case its close to the worst case scenario I discussed elsewhere. There is a tapering off over time though, wish I knew more what that was about. Is it just isolation and quarantine? If that is the case then in just 30 days, and nothing were done to contain it, one case could lead to 5,194 cases, and in 60 days this would be nearly 27 million .... please don't presume my math is right though, my math reasoning is fubar. In 90 days this would be everyone on the planet many times over. If this is not a case for containment I don't know what is.

lunarainbows likes this.
  18. lunarainbows

I would have thought that the tapering over time, is because the social distancing, lockdown measures are working.

Simon M likes this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Contrasting with UK government advice, in the media briefing, Tedros Adhanom also
    stated that measures to reduce risk of transmission whilst in isolation due to being infected with coronavirus should be continued for 14 days after symptoms cease.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...he-media-briefing-on-covid-19---16-march-2020

Edited quote.

Sean, Simbindi, JaneL and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.