Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Two and a bit days from my second vaccination and I'm more tired than I have been recently. Potentially the recent jump upwards in temperature might be a factor in that though as I don't have a great time in the heat.

2. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had 2nd shot AZ yesterday. Same as the first jab: almost no sleep, feeling very fluey and running in sweat, pain in joints spreading to usual pain sites. Migraine.

Feel grim today, with all of the above symptoms, but also relieved to have had the jab!:party:

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jut got Pfizer #1, 2h ago. Oddly enough, most noticeable symptom is sore throat and I'm just hearing my father, who got his 2nd shot at the same time, coughing even though he wasn't before we went in.

Easy enough, but having to remain standing for several minutes while answering questions in a loud setting was a problem, I only made it because there was no line-up, got in at the right time. Felt pretty dizzy and hot but could just have been because of having to stand up a bit too long.

The variants clearly show the need for the 2nd shot so I decided to chance it and took (edit: an appointment for) the next one, but unsure if 2 months is long enough.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm getting my second shot on July 1st even though I still haven't recovered from my first shot on April 15th.

5. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Home visit vaccine today! :thumbup: J&J. 1 & 1/2 hours into it. Arm sore and very sleepy at 1 hour in and now, yet I'm like a little kid who doesn't want to nap. Fingers crossed this is the worst of it.

Tried not to talk during 1/2 hour wait yet at the end of it we both couldn't stop from talking or talking :laugh:. (Bad thing is I forgot to keep 6 ft distance at that point. Hopefully I'll be ok from that.)

She was really nice. We hit it off. May have made a new friend. We'll see. (She said I could call her anytime). :) Going to send her info on ME (Rivka's PBS video and ?), just told her I had complex medical condition since I'm bad at describing ME.

Hoping I win the million dollars for getting vaccinated. Thought of buying a home or some kind of housing where some of us with ME can live. Not sure I can feasibly pull that off though.

Oh gosh seems a side effect of the vaccine is it's making me chatty! Excuse my side tracks a little off topic.

6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

???? Is there a lottery in your country or something?

48hrs post 2nd AZ not as bad as last time but very wiped out. More later

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the US they are offering incentives like million dollar lotteries, sports event tickets, new guns etc to convince the anti-vaxxers to get vaccinated.

Canada is starting to do the same except for the gun giveaways.

Some doctors are saying that this is not going to motivate anti-vaxxers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

California just did this (sans firearms). They gave out $50 grocery cards to the first 2 million people who got the vaccine after May 27th (so $100 million total).

On June 4th and 11th they held lotteries giving fifteen vaccinated people $50,000 on each of those days (30 people / $1.5 million total).

Yesterday, on June 15th, the had a lottery giving fifteen vaccinated people $1.5 million each ($22.5 million total).

On July 1st they will give away 6 "dream vacations," including $2,000 cash.

They say there may be additional lotteries for various prizes in the future.

I'm not so sure that this is a good use of government funds - - unless, of course, I win something. Then I'm totally OK with it.

9. Mij

The party is just getting started up here. I'm thinking I'll wait a little longer to get my vaccine . . .

If the nurse calls to book my home visit, I might just be a little more reluctant.:whistle:

10. Mij

Early on Canadians were happy with free Tim Horton coffees and ice cream offered at the vax centres, until we saw what you guys were giving away in the US. Suddenly we're feeling worthy of more.

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Everyone in the state who's been vaccinated is eligible for the lotteries, no matter how long ago they got their shot, so there's no incentive to put it off.

The exception would be the $50 gifts cards for those vaccinated after May 27th. I'm pretty sure they didn't announce that until after May 27th.

Announcing it before the cut off date would have been lunacy (which is why I say I'm only pretty sure :)).

12. Mij

The justification for the lottery incentives up here is that it would save millions of dollars in hospital stays if more people get vaccinated. Emergency doctors are saying that the only sick/dying patients they're seeing now are unvaccinated patients, and many still don't believe they're dying of Covid.

13. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:confused: what do they think they have then? if they cant breathe?

I dont get needing an incentive to get the vaccine..... reducing your chances of death/serious illness, and of inadvertently killing someone ... isnt that reason enough?

i cant wrap my head around any of it.

14. Mij

They don't believe Covid exists and that they have the 'flu'.

Several months ago I watched an interview with an ER doctor in the US who experienced this disbelief with his patients, they could no longer breathe and dying. He said that he has family members that no longer talk to him because they don't believe in Covid. He was in tears.

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Closing in on 48h and only some soreness in the arm and back that is going away. So far so good.

16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

What could go wrong?

17. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3.5 days since AZ the sequel. Pain has gone NUTS! I can only think it has affected my nervous system. Hey ho...!

18. Mij

It gives a whole new meaning to getting 'the shot'.

19. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I heard that Alberta was going to do a lottery. Here in BC we are doing really well with people getting the vaccines. Even the people who were hesitant about getting the vaccine originally are now getting vaccinated.

20. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Update after 1 week after 2nd dose: My Arm barely hurt for 2 days as well did my head and again, I had minor shivers/flu like symptoms. Back to prior baseline now.

So much for "catastrophic thinking": I was all prepared with groceries, organized extra help etc. bc I anticipated worse symptoms. And now I had a lot less side effects (so far) than from the 1st jab.

It's almost like..this concept is flawed.