Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How incredibly frustrating @JemPD. It occurs to me that if you phone your GP you could ask whether it would be possible for your second dose to be done at home on the grounds that it will badly affect your health if you have to go out for it. My daughter and I both had both our doses at home.

2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Trish I dont think that will wash, since i went out for my first one & i go out to the surgery whenever necessary, & also to dentist etc. I am almost phobic about contact with them, so trying to persuade them i need a home visit because i have "chronic fatigue" will be tricky (they simply cannot hear it as anything else it's a watse of time & energy trying to explain), & especially when you cant even speak to your GP unless you are dying... lol & even then... Trying to get help from gp at the moment is hard enough, w/o trying to convince them i'm iller than they think. They will just say "well you manage to attend when you want a benefit letter"... I cant face it.

& frankly given the lax attitude to PPE some of the home visit teams have (by the accounts i've heard), i'd rather go out for it tbh, at least i can wear max protection & then strip off when i get home, nobody comes into my house w/o an overall & an FFP3, which i provide, i cant imagine them being amenable to that.

The trip to the pharmacy is manageable as long as i'm in the chair, we park outside (it's less than 5mins in the car into town & i have a special access permit so can park at the entracne), & it's quiet time of day (+ ear defenders/visor sunglassses etc).

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I still get this on and off for 30 years, sometimes accompanied with burning shin splints. It has nothing to do with pacing in my case. Allergy season is super high these past few weeks so this is having an effect on my overall immune response.

Was out for a walk these last 2 evenings and had to return home because my legs were stiff and my gait become wobbly, felt like my legs were going to give out. Today I feel better, so we'll see if I can walk this evening.

merylg, ukxmrv, hinterland and 5 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For anyone following along.... i managed to get my 2nd dose appointment sorted.... which involved a call to the GP (as advised by the nhs phoneline) to be told they couldnt help as they dont do any of the vaccines there, or have access to the booking system.....:banghead:

Followed by a call to the old local system number - which the gp receptionist kindly suggested (correctly) was still working, despite all categorical online statements to the contrary....

Where i was also told they couldn't help because i had originally booked with the national system (the national system who could only book me at a pharmacy that kept cancelling it because they had no more AZ to 2nd dose me with, even though the nhs say they do!)

So i said... "so in fact i cant have my 2nd dose then? There is no possible way for me to book a 2nd dose... i just have to go without do i? Because the 'computer says no'?....
    She took my number & went off to get her supervisor to ring me back... 3hrs later i was panicking, & then I got a text confirming my appointment nxt wk... after 8wks not 9... Yay :) Hallelujah!!

But flippin heck i'll pay for all that tomorrow no doubt:rolleyes:

AliceLily, Missense, Amw66 and 18 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So my local pharmacist just informed me that we can book home services :mad: from our public health.

It's not advertised and I've been waiting for months to feel better to go to a nearby clinic.

AliceLily, Amw66, merylg and 12 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

21 days today since the vaccine, so according to our government's official info I am no longer at risk for AZ related clots.

7. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One hour post-jab and my arm already hurts lol.

The hardest part was being required to wait around for 10-15 minutes afterwards (to ensure no allergic reaction). My mum had phoned ahead to ensure that there would be chairs available, but we forgot to check the *type* of chairs that would be available. So my body is exhausted from sitting in an unsupportive chair. I'm just waiting for the builders next door to finish for the day, and then I'll go to sleep!

8. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So tomorrow will be 2 weeks after my 2nd Pfizer, and yup that little boost I got in the week after the vaccine has now played out, and I’m back to my normal same old, same old. :p

But on the up-side I should now be as immune as I can be, and that’s got to be a good thing.

It’s interesting that I had about 10 nights of really nice sleep after this vaccine. And I also experienced a proper relaxed “tired” feeling. The “wired” & “fried” sensations I normally associate with having done a bit more than usual have unfortunately returned again. Meh.

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the plus side you are 25% more vaccinated than those of us who had AZ ;)

(I'm using 'vaccinated' in the way that politicians and the media seem to these days, to mean 'protected', or 'immune' or something else that isn't the same as 'vaccinated' but that they hope others will think is).

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got that too, after AZ. Less with the second dose than the first, but it's lovely while it lasts, isn't it.

If it weren't for the fact it makes some folk much worse, I'd be hoping that we all need a booster at some point! :laugh:

11. Sarah94

Now feeling a bit feverish/shivery.

All perfectly normal vaccine side effects though, I'm sure it will pass soon. All that matters is that it doesn't make my ME worse, and I don't think it will.

12. J.G

J.G Established Member (Voting Rights)

There's this story of a doctor who contracted ME in the 1970s / 1980s and found that, for whatever reason, intermittently injecting himself with one vaccine or another kept his symptoms in check. Eventually that particular type of vaccine stopped being manufactured, and he had to go to great lengths to procure a lifetime supply. I'm fuzzy on the details and can't recall for the life of me where I heard about this! It was a while ago...

13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Carl-Gerhard Gottfries.

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Staphylococcus_vaccine

14. J.G

J.G Established Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes. It was this video interview with Dr. Gottfries that I watched forever ago. And my timeline was off by a decade or two - late 1950s, not the 1970s! ;)

Edit: PR has a lengthy 11-year old thread on the subject here that I never knew existed.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  15. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, I hadn't heard of him before. Honestly, if I could have the effect I got from AZ #1 once a week, I'd almost be back to normal function!

The only vaccine I have regularly is the annual 'flu jab, but unfortunately it doesn't do the same. Other than an occasional slight bruise where it went in, I don't know I've had it.

16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Had my second Pfizer Biontech about an hour ago. Was walking back to my car when I noticed a tingling/numbness on the right side of my face, which is still there. I've googled it and apparently it's a very rare side effect which usually passes. Also feeling very dopey, but that's nothing new and could be due to anything.

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Face tingling does pass, it does, really, it does, after a while.

The whole feeling as if there is rubber covering half a face also goes.

Alternatively you might get bored with it, it'll stop being unusual, and it will therefor drop out of your awareness.

Dunno but eventually it stops, or seems to.

It is not in my experience rare.

The smell was however rare, in that I've not smelt anything like it before. Floral with a metallic note. Lasted over a day, in many rooms (4). Probably neurological effect.

Supposed to mean something serious but IME it just means it's probably Tuesday ;)

18. Sarah94

Now feeling normal apart from the sore injection site.

19. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Didn't someone say something about temporary Bell's palsy, or did I imagine it?

AliceLily, Invisible Woman and MeSci like this.
  20. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That's what I read, don't know if it's been mentioned earlier on this thread. Causes are thought to be being a hysterical woman, the jabber jabbing too deep and annoying a nerve, or unknown.

No other side effects so far, but I'm taking the day off just in case.