1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any way someone can come out to vaccinate you from a clinic or you can get a ride to it?

2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another chapter in the covid vaccine antibody test saga: Semmelweis University has also published the antibody results of those people who had previously tested negative somewhere else (after Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sputnik, Sinopharm - so no Janssen this time). Their project was to retest these people to see if their antibody levels were still low in their lab too. This is what I was recommended to do too as a recheck and I did so yesterday but I'm still waiting for the result.

"Semmelweis University performed 1,195 blood samples during the study in individuals who had a previous negative test result.

The result of the study was that 88% of those previously measured as negative were positive in the university measurement, i.e., they have a detectable and sufficient level of anti-viral antibody."​

They also say:

"However, the medical opinion of Semmelweis University remains that the effectiveness of each vaccine can only be determined by changes in the number of infections, illnesses, hospital admissions and deaths after vaccination. Semmelweis University, as one of the largest COVID providers in Hungary, has been following the cases in its clinics since 26 December (since the start of domestic vaccinations) and comparing them with data on whether patients received and, if so, how many and what vaccine."​

In my case: they had 69 people who previously tested negative for AZ but only 2 of them tested negative after the university retested them. So hopefully I'll produce a positive result upon this recheck.

So I'm wondering if this is due to private labs giving somewhat less reliable antibody results.

Full article and charts in English with Google translate: https://translate.google.com/transl...yetem-koronavirus-ellenanyagszint-vizsgalata/

AliceLily, Hutan, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The other viruses have become endemic because societies have tolerated them. We can eliminate this one with global vaccination and quarantine if we choose to do so.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps you can call your local pharmacist and ask for information on how you can get a vaccine? They are very informative. I had put off my vaccine for months until my local pharmacist informed me that I can book home visits which I wasn't aware of because it isn't advertised on our public health website where we book vaccines. I called and got a home visit 2 weeks ago.

5. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My antibody results from Semmelweis University are back (antibody against S protein, with a different range of values this time): the minimum is 0.8 U/mL, mine is 94.13, so this is a good result finally. The university says their testing is probably more accurate than that of the private labs.

The doctor we talked to from the university said what matters is that antibody levels should be over a certain level but if that is reached, the exact number of antibodies doesn't really matter that much. The important thing is that the threshold is reached. This is what @Snow Leopard was talking about too if I understand correctly. (And apparently the lab that tested me first drew this line incorrectly and showed me as a positive while the value should have been seen as a negative.)

How important this level in the actual protection is, is still not entirely clear to me. FDA says it shouldn't be measured (Semmelweis says the same), but here immunologists seem to be in disagreement with this and say it is probably a good way to show if someone is protected or not (and also that is what that study shared by Snow Leopard showed).

Anyway, I hope this the end of the story for now, at least until the third shot sometime in the future.

6. Florence

Florence Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi. Where would be the best place for me to talk about experiences of having suspected Covid and Long Covid as a pwme? I am double-vaxxed - but that's not the main issue here. Thanks.

AliceLily, merylg, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

8. Florence

Florence Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish likes this.
  9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Australia and New Zealand certainly appear to be able to eliminate SARS-CoV-2 but I'm in the UK - I can't see it being eliminated here - so it's vaccination and continue to reduce contacts, watch out for variants which can escape the vaccine ----

10. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sharing for visibility with vaccines.

ME/CFS and the Coronavirus Vaccine: Is There a Better Way?

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...-vaccine-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-better-way/

"Most people with ME/CFS appear to get through the vaccination process fine and a surprising number of people reported they benefitted from the vaccine. A significant percentage of people, though, also report having a difficult time with the vaccines."

"Some people are eventually recovering after 6 weeks, some after 12 weeks, but many aren’t recovering at all"

AliceLily, spinoza577, merylg and 5 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread on the issue of vaccines worsening symptoms in some, including some pwME. Good to know Iwasaki's team is explicitly looking at it, as many were wondering whether anyone was.

It seems relatively low numbers but for some, long haulers and pwME, vaccines significantly worsened their illness. Made it hard to hear with the premature celebrations some did about how the vaccine could have been a treatment for LC.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1415737126877024257

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Michelle and Invisible Woman like this.
  12. Mij

They're advertising vaccines as 'treatment' for ME? Who are 'they'? I'm not understanding what she wrote.

13. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You’ll normally need to click on the text to se the full tweet thread. This is where this one started.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1415622327044395013

AliceLily, Michelle, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  14. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's not what's happening. Dr Strain said he'd like to trial monthly vaccines for long Covid, based on the evidence of some patients improving after jabs.

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah sorry should have pointed the rest of the discussion above was relevant.

But it's often being presented this way, especially in the media but some of those are quotes from physicians. Less with time, but initially when there were early reports that some people did improve it was hard to hold back the good news part without waiting for the bad news. It made quite a splash on long hauler forums at first, lately not so much.

16. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just dropping in again for awhile. Hope all are doing as well as can be.

I'm booked to have the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on the 27th of this month. I'll let you know how I go. I hope I won't have bad complications. My 77 year old mother has had both doses and had no side effects, so I hope I will be the same.

17. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personal update: my daughter received her Pfizer 2nd dose yesterday: Thursday. She tolerated the first dose spectacularly well. No real issue, just a slight sore arm from the puncture. There was an 8 week interval between the jabs. However, 5 hours after the 2nd dose the most awful symptoms beset her: a migraine from hell, stiff neck, severe nausea, skyrocket flu feeling, toxic feeling, and orthostatic intolerance of the most severe sort. 24 hours later nothing has changed. She says she feels like something 'popped' inside of her, and she is worried about a severe relapse. Any suggestions welcome. She is on electrolyte infused camomile, and paracetamol.

Michelle, Sarah94, Ariel and 8 others like this.
  18. Mij

Nice to see you back again :) I get my second dose of Pfizer on the 27th. I'll be thinking of you.

19. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome back, Rosie! It's estimated that 10% of us have an adverse reaction, so you have a 90% chance of everything being okay and no complications.

20. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Mij. :) Missed you all but I have been coming in to read and following how you are all doing. I was pleased your 1st dose went well and will think of you too on the 27th.