Covid-19 vaccination experiences

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Wits_End, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A tweet discussion between Julie Rehmeyer and others about recognising the vax injured, and not wanting to deter others from being vaccinated.
    It addressed the issue of the need to acknowledge the damage caused to some by the covid vaccines and not feeding anti vax opinion.

Apologies for the layout. I don't tweet but receive some by email.
    Julie Rehmeyer
    @julierehmeyer

"My ME was vastly worsened after a vaccine. I don’t talk much about it because I support vaccination and don’t want to feed antivaxx. But not studying this is a terrible reason not to help those injured by vaccines. Supporting vax injured people ISsupporting vaccination!"

Quote Tweet
    Harriet Carroll: Recognise vax-induced long COVID
    @angryhacademic
    ·
    17h
    "Exactly this
    How can i in good conscience recommend anyone get vaccinated when i know if they get harmed the NHS and the government treat them as an inconvenience to be silenced?

If you support vaccination, then you NEED to support the vaccine injured."

The UK is starting to dispense vaccine damaged payments to the injured. It is a sum of £120,000 and applicants have to prove 60% disability. This is not compensation for which groups of the vaccine damaged are taking legal action.

It's a difficult issue because, as Julie Rehmeyer tweeted, there is no wish to feed antivaxx. I didn't share my covid vaccine reaction for some time because of not wishing to alarm others. With trepidation I have had two flu vaccines since the problems but I had a long history of uneventful responses to this which gave me some confidence. I still have to decide about shingles.

Ash, bobbler, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

To clarify, it wasn't a covid vaccine that worsened Julie Rehmeyer's ME.
    She was fine with Covid vaccines, and is making the point that other vaccines also lead to worsened ME, and it hasn't put her off being vaccinated.

Ash, MeSci, Wits_End and 3 others like this.
  3. Binkie4

Absolutely. It was actually hep A that affected her and she has continued to be vaccinated.

I think she is also making the point that supporting vaccine injured people is also supporting vaccination, a point with which I agree. The quote at the top of my earlier post is Julie Reymeyer's tweet and words, not mine. She didn't wish to seem to promote an anti vax agenda so hasn't talked much about her ME worsening following vaccination.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    Ash, bobbler, Starlight and 6 others like this.
  4. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got my seventh shot. Fever during the 12-24 hour mark, sore arm. I got it on Sunday felt better on Tuesday. Moved around some only to crash yesterday and today.

The vaccine is in short supply, one pharmacy was sold out, the other one was down to eight shots.

Ash, Binkie4, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@cfsandmore

Are they also offering flu shots at the same time?

6. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, they suggested one shot for each arm and I'd be done. I refused to get both shots at once. I'm going to wait a few weeks and get my flu shot.

Ash, MeSci, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I prefer to get them separately too. If I did have a bad reaction, at least I'd know which one caused it.

I had my 'flu jab last week, the first time I've had the version for older people designed to provoke a stronger immune response. I felt it this time, too. Nothing specific—tiredness, fleeting dizziness, generally feeling a bit odd and off-centre for a few days—but I've never had it before with the 'flu one.

Covid jab's next Monday. I think it might be the sixth, but I've lost count now.

Ash, Wits_End, Mij and 4 others like this.
  8. Trish

I had a phone call a week ago saying they were coming that day to give me my Covid vaccination, then another call later in the day saying sorry, we didn't manage to get to you today. Nothing since. They are not doing both at once as flu vaccine won't be available here until November.

Ash, MeSci, cfsandmore and 4 others like this.
  9. Binkie4

I had my flu vaccine by appointment last Saturday at my GP surgery. I don't know what sort it was. @Kitty I didn't know there is a special one for older people. I would certainly qualify for that.

It took a lot of determination to overcome the fear that I now feel about vaccines ( after covid vaccines) but I have felt pleased all week that this is done. No reaction at all apart from an increase in tiredness but this may be a result of the fear.

There was a long queue of people waiting to be vaccinated for both covid and flu, one in each arm. I feel envy that they are so relaxed going through these procedures. I never used to be fearful and had every vacc going.

I can't have another covid vaccine on the advice of the A and E Consultant who treated me after my Pf vaccine reaction. A yellow card was completed by the hospital and I followed this up a couple of weeks ago. I had heard nothing in the 2 years since it was submitted, only learning of its existence from a new GP a couple of weeks ago. I have had a reply with a promise of a reply to my questions (did I ask any?) within a specified time. I am curious about what happens to these yellow cards. I had no response to the ones I submitted and I am curious about what happened to the hospital's.

Having had only 3 vaccines, the last 2 years ago, I am very unsure about seeing people, not that I see a lot, but I enjoy some contact. I went back to a choir this week but doubt if I will go again. It felt unsafe - we were too close together. So is this it now?

edit: the surgery is now out of covid vaccine and waiting for more.

Ash, MeSci, Sisyphus and 5 others like this.
  10. Kitty

I might only have been told because the pharmacist at Tesco was trying to decide which one to give me. The one I had is for over-65s, and I'm not 65 yet but am on the 'potentially at higher risk' list. Anyway, the vaccine's called aQIV according to the bit of paper I was given.

If I'd been a year or two older he might well have jabbed me without mentioning it. I rarely read the info sheet, and only did it this time because he drew my attention to it.

It must feel very odd knowing that you can't choose to have another Covid vaccine even if you wanted to. I've also started going to a music group, and with the best will in the world, you can't play tin whistle in a mask. I wouldn't go anywhere there was very likely to be an infected person without a mask, but where there's only a theoretical risk, I haven't worn one for a long time. It probably doesn't make that much sense as an approach, but I find the alternative (always masking, and giving up things where it's impractical) too difficult. I live on my own, and swimming and music are two of the three things that help keep me sane and feeling vaguely connected.

shak8, MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Thanks @Kitty. I may raise the issue of what type of vaccine when the time is right.

Ash, Simbindi, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh. Not feeling that great about having to get a vaccine update soon. I'll still do it, as some recent life changes mean I won't be able to remain clear of COVID, certainly not this winter, but this is really a lesser of two evils thing.

Truly maddening that this is all because of psychosomatic ideology, of being unable to process that common things that have almost nothing to do with "lifestyle" are a common risk that can cause long-term health issues. Medicine has made so much about fear and anxiety causing illness in people that it made them too afraid and anxious, in the end causing far more illness and suffering.

As meanwhile even the major threat of pollution, especially air pollution, is basically ignored. Instead people are literally being advised to go run out in polluted air, which is likely far more harmful even in the short term. No, everything has to be turned into some personal responsibility, even things that ordinary people can't possibly have any control over.

What a weird freaking species we are.

Peter Trewhitt, Amw66, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  13. Trish

14. Kitty

I had my latest booster early doors today.

At least in the Midlands area, they seem to be using same one as the spring booster programme, the combined Comirnaty Original/Omicron BA4.5. I'm not sure whether this is country-wide, but thought it was worth mentioning for anyone who's still waiting for an appointment and wondering what they might get.

Peter Trewhitt, MeSci, Ash and 2 others like this.
  15. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was going to get my covid vaccination next week - but I realised I’m currently on a high dose of steroids and so severely immunosuppressed and my body won’t make enough antibodies. I think I’ll still be on the steroids for the next 3 months. I don’t want to delay my vaccine by that long because I’ll likely need to go into hospital sooner than that, and no one wears masks in hospital anymore so I would feel very vulnerable to picking up covid there. I would ideally like to have the vaccination before going into hospital. I may even get the flu vaccine this winter but am not sure.

Is there anyone else on immunosuppressant drugs - did you stay on them during vaccination? Im not sure whether to just go for the covid vaccination now. I guess I can also go for the booster dose next spring?

16. Kitty

I got a four-page handout with my jab this time, so I'll read through it and post anything that looks useful.

17. Kitty

18. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They don’t say what they mean by more doses.. I’m guessing they give the dose as normal this Autumn, but then give another booster dose in Spring? As I’ve not heard of them giving a double dose in one go (and would also be worried about receiving that!)

Peter Trewhitt, MeSci, Ash and 3 others like this.
  19. Kitty

Yes, I took it to mean that immunocompromised people might need boosting more frequently. The frequency might be an individual thing, on the advice of a doctor who knows your history.

Maybe you or your mum could call the advice line on 119? It certainly sounds as if you'd be eligible for the autumn booster, but they might be able to tell you whether you can just go ahead and book, or you need advice from your doctor first.

Good luck!

20. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got my COVID booster on Monday. I did not have much of a reaction this time.

I've definitely had a bit more exhaustion and brain fog, but it's hard to know if that is from the shot or from the long drive (appointments were hard to get in our area -- we had to drive about 35 minutes each way).

I was originally scheduled to get both flu shot and COVID booster on Sept. 23. This was at another pharmacy that was closer. Perhaps it was a foolish idea, but I was feeling brave. I don't usually have much reaction to the flu shot and I wanted to get them both over with.

However, the day before that appointment the pharmacy called to say they hadn't gotten a shipment of COVID booster. So I only got the flu shot on that day.

Mij, Ash, MeSci and 4 others like this.