1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crowdfunding: Trial By Error [David Tuller]: Reporting on ME, CFS, ME/CFS, "medically unexplained symptoms," and related stuff, Fall 2020

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Andy, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ditto.

alktipping, janice, mango and 3 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Invisible Woman and @dave30th - I agree, I found the recent mailing, to 'commemorate', or something, that I had donated over the last 3 years - really quite annoying. High grade card and paper stock, together with probably non recyclable stickers - probably sent a third of the way round the planet - for what?

Completely pointless waste of money, resources, etc.

Berkeley seems not to have any conception as to why such wasteful practices are a bad thing, for many people.

ETA - the paper/card went straight into the recycling, the stickers, unfortunately, probably aren't recyclable - so that is probably more plastic waste.

Things may work differently in the US, this may be seen as a valid form of marketing, but I do not live in the US, and TBH even if I did, is it really an appropriate use of resources?

I do fully realise that this is Berkeley doing this, probably a general marketing policy, to go along with the several emails a week they love sending me, seemingly specifically designed to defeat spam filters, and not down to you @dave30th, but such behaviour has the opposite effect to that probably intended - it makes me not want to have anything to do with Berkeley.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Hutan, alktipping, janice and 7 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, I guess some might see it as "you have to speculate to accumulate" and a nice letter might make you put your hand in your pocket more readily next time round?

Some people might only be able to donate a fiver (& they all add up) so rather annoying to thing they might be spending as much on the letters as a person donates.

4. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Backing you all the way dave.

Would it be possible to link this thread or the fundraising webpage in a banner notice at the top of the S4ME webpages for the last week of fundraising ? Like the banner for the "news in brief" currently at the top of my page. Just for a week.

sebaaa, alktipping, janice and 9 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sure, let's hope so, because what I was obviously doing was calling another patient a miser :):)

6. rainy

rainy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Donated. It means so much that you are doing this @dave30th. Seeing your work and knowing that we have someone like you that cares about our situation has been such a comfort for many years now.

7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yeah, I get this. it's an automatic thing. I have had a number of people complain about it.

What I can do is ask the support folks to remove the names/e-mails of specific people who ask me not to be contacted with unnecessary updates and want to be unlisted.

The thing is I'm really the only one of all the campaigns who gets significant donations from outside the US--and even from outside California. Most donations are local because most of the projects are local--on or near campus. So I suppose it makes sense for Berkeley as a promotional thing despite the waste of resources.

I wish there were more I could do about it. I realize that many people don't want to receive this meaningless stuff.

8. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be far better if Berkeley could stop all the emails and letters to all your donors, and put a couple of percent back towards your salary! Especially as those people donating towards you are extremely unlikely to support Berkeley in any other way....

MeSci, Hutan, Invisible Woman and 8 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Donated.

Not sure I would be able to this time, but luckily I overestimated some expenses this month and it turned out I had more wiggle room then I thought :)

11. Starlight

Starlight Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope there are many more like myself who haven't yet donated. I fully intend to and will do tonight or tomorrow. When the fundraiser is coming close to the end I want to feel I still can do something and that is why I wait. I cannot imagine what it would be like if we did not have David Tuller doing the job that he does for us. We couldn't replace him,and I think we need him more than ever.

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The timing was fortunate for me this year as the donation period covers three paydays, instead the usual two.

So still one more donation to come. :thumbsup:

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Mine still to come too

now at 58% $35k

14. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just donated and shared it around in various places in the hope it might also help.

15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  16. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Donated :) I'm immensely grateful, @dave30th, thank you so much!

18. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

me too i think it is a marketing programme you know for those you can afford to give larger donations in their wills possibly .

19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member