1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crowdfunding: Trial By Error [David Tuller]: Reporting on ME, ME/CFS, long Covid, and "Medically Unexplained Symptoms", Oct 2022

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Andy, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"As in previous years, October is crowdfunding month at the University of California, Berkeley, and I am once again seeking funds to continue my work on ME, ME/CFS, “medically unexplained symptoms,” and now long Covid. These tax-deductible donations to Berkeley will support my academic position as senior fellow in public health and journalism at the Center for Global Health from January through June of 2023. The Center uses the funds to cover my salary and benefits (mostly health insurance)."

Lots more detail at https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/33528

Laurie P, rainy, DokaGirl and 20 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A combination of the energy crisis and, specifically to the UK, a weaker pound will make hitting the target this time a challenge, although hopefully Long Covid folks can see that funding Dave is an investment.

DokaGirl, Barry, EzzieD and 16 others like this.
  3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl, EzzieD, Sean and 11 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've donated.

DokaGirl, Sean, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks, Andy. yes, the financial situation makes it really hard. so we'll see. as always, I dislike having to do this.

DokaGirl, Barry, sebaaa and 17 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Your new paper with Mark Vink analysing return to work data demonstrates yet again what a valuable contribution you are making. I'm in the fortunate position to have a secure home, pension and some savings so will be donating gladly.

DokaGirl, Barry, EzzieD and 18 others like this.
  7. dave30th

Thanks! Of course I only want anyone to donate if they feel in a position to do that. I understand times are very difficult.

DokaGirl, MSEsperanza, Barry and 15 others like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will be happily donating what i can. Your work is needed now more than ever.
    Hope you're well & life treating you kindly @dave30th

You dont happen to know how i get Berkley to stop sending me appreciative mailouts do you? i always think its nice but such a waste of paper/resources

9. dave30th

How often is this happening? I have asked for my donors to be removed from the general solicitation lists because almost all have no attachment or connection to Berkeley. You actually get paper letters??

DokaGirl, Barry, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  10. JemPD

@dave30th yes i do get paper letters but only after i have donated, they arent marketing letters more like things saying

We appreciate you as a regular supporter of Berkeley, you are one of our important donors ,thank you blah bah.

I stopped reading them after i got the first one - which iirc was after the first donation i made & i think one comes after every donation. I thought maybe i had inadvertently opted in to 'receive acknowledgement' kind of thing, but it seems bonkers to send that all the way to the UK! They are quite posh card, not just a random peice of paper

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

I suspect it's at least twice a year that a very high quality paper/card thing turns up here - once a few months before fundraising, and then again a few months after (but I could be wrong, I'm not really paying any attention to the fundraising cycles of a place thousands of miles away, other than irritation over the sheer waste of it, I don't pay much attention, I'm pretty sure it's at least twice a year tho).

The emails are much 'more frequent'.

DokaGirl, MSEsperanza, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  12. JemPD

Thats interesting because while it sounds like we're getting the exact same mail... i dont get emails, other than the initial 'thank you/confirmation of donation' i must have unsubscribed from any others.

DokaGirl, MSEsperanza, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  13. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't like to block them, or may have been more selective, as otherwise, how would I know I was supposed to donate ;)

DokaGirl, MSEsperanza, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  14. JemPD

from these threads thats how i know when its time ;)

DokaGirl, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to get them regularly, maybe every 3 months or so, and it's been a while so it's possible they stopped it.

16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes me too a paper letter I had to go on their website to unsubscribe. Pretty sure I also did in previous years.

17. dave30th

Well, there are two things here. During the two month of crowdfunding, I send out "updates" to those who donated in previous campaigns. So I understand that you'd get multiple e-mail reminders in April and October. But at one point the system was also sending out multiple e-mails in between those months, and I hope that has mostly stopped.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

First one done. Another two paydays to go. :thumbup:

Hutan, DokaGirl, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get the expensive-looking mailouts too.

20. dave30th

How often do these come?