1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

(Daily Telegraph) “How I became a target for the ME militants” by Dr Michael Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

paywalled
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/doctors-diary/became-target-militants/

How I became a target for the ME militants

The current row over Nice guidelines on chronic fatigue syndrome is strikingly similar to the one I found myself caught up in 20 years ago

DR MICHAEL FITZPATRICK26 September 2021 • 5:10pm
    It is nearly 20 years since I became inadvertently involved in the ‘ME wars’, the long-running conflict between campaigners suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome and the leading doctors in the field. Hostilities have erupted again during the summer as the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) suspended publication of a revised edition of its guidelines on managing the condition, amid a spate of resignations from the guidelines committee and recriminations in the press....

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a complete load of tosh.

MEMarge, Trish, sebaaa and 19 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forbin, Lidia, Louie41 and 15 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is 3 a spate now?

So I could have a spate of digestive biscuits, and it be understood?

and yes, tosh.

Didn't there used to be severe penalties for calling a Countess 'preposterous', let alone in print in a national rag, were people outside the room may see it?

Possibly promotion sideways, to court jester, forced to wear a preposterous hat, and wave a preposterous stick??

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Trish, sebaaa, TiredSam and 18 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A story wearing rather thin.

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"ME" becomes "chronic fatigue syndrome" becomes "chronic fatigue". How to minimise and dismiss a medical condition in two short paragraphs.

Michelle, Trish, Robert 1973 and 33 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Honestly there are no words for this kind of offensive hubris, this is pure ignorant bigotry and incompetence. This is someone utterly incapable of understanding that other people have a different perspective and life experience than their own, makes everything about him even when it doesn't concern him at all. We're just street litter to this guy. Someone critized him accurately decades ago and that's just unacceptable.

And the substance of being a target? Someone wrote things criticizing what he says. That's all it ever is, not content with destroying our lives, they want to to keep us in oppressed silence, will put imaginary discomfort above millions of lives.

Honestly a big FU to the Telegraph for publishing this ignorant narcissistic tripe, especially by someone making everything about themselves and for which the only reaction is: who even is this dude? Because everything they say is projection, so when they say that ME means "me me me!", they are of course projecting because to them it's all about their little selves.

sebaaa, Chezboo, Solstice and 24 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Dx Revision Watch

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it may be quite useful for this sort of disinformation to come out in a national newspaper just now. The people at NICE involved with the new guideline are likely to redouble their commitment to sticking to their guns.

Having spent four years working with Adam, Sally, Saran, and Charles I should think Peter Barry and Ilora Finlay would find this sort of nonsense deeply insulting.

Michelle, Trish, sebaaa and 36 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Because some patients complained of flu-like symptoms, the term "post-viral fatigue syndrome" was also used."

no, it was because people got the illness post-viral infection.

"This is an edited version of an article first published on spiked"......not surprised

12. Barry

https://www.lobbywatch.org/profile1.asp?PrId=142
    No big surprise here, the connection between him, the Foxes and the SMC. Birds of a feather.

Michelle, Chezboo, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  13. Dx Revision Watch

https://www.spiked-online.com/2002/02/14/debating-the-disease/

Debating the disease

Dr Michael Fitzpatrick replies to his critics on ME.
    14 February 2002

EzzieD, Simon M, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  14. Dx Revision Watch

Dame Clare Gerada has given talks at the IoI and is a pal of Clare Fox.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2003/dec/09/highereducation.uk2

Invasion of the entryists
    George Monbiot

9 December 2003

Living Marxism, Frank Furedi, Spiked, Fox, IoI, Sense about Science, Science Media Centre et al...

TiredSam, Solstice, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  15. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By strange coincidence the Sunday Telegraph pre pandemic circulation numbers were exactly the same as the top figure for UK ME/CFS prevalence. We don't know how many STel's are actually sold now because its owners pulled out of the scheme that has measured newspaper sales for the last half century - something to do with STel's sales decline by 500% since 2104. For non UKer's not familiar with the paper it has long been know as the Sunday Torygraph for its rabidly right wing articles and preposterously anachronistic perspective.

Michelle, Solstice, DokaGirl and 9 others like this.
  16. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It is interesting that the former RCP (revolutionary communist party) members seem to have very similar views to those being expressed by the other RCP (royal college of physicians) at least when it comes to ME.

Also worth noting that Fitzpatrick is still a trustee of Sense about science -https://senseaboutscience.org/who-we-are/board-of-trustees/. At one point they seemed to be denying that they heavily backed PACE and instead referred to articles from the US SAS. But perhaps they are giving their normal backing for bad science carried out by the BPS believers.

Michelle, Chezboo, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  17. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think it says something that they feel the need to roll out such stories at this time. Given his links to the RCP, SAS I would assume this is part of a campaign to try to discredit patients (or generally non-believers). I guess it has worked for them very successfully before,

Solstice, FMMM1, EzzieD and 15 others like this.
  18. rvallee

Ah, Sense about Science, who are still very confused about science. And Spiked. So no doubt just putting in a favor to his mate Wessely to influence NICE. The old boys' club clubs along, doesn't care that it's clubbing sick people, in fact seems to enjoy it.

Are SAS still in the business of attacking patient populations for fun? Certainly one of their trustees is.

Solstice, FMMM1, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  19. rvallee

It really has, so much that the author listed all the success this gave Wessely at the end of the article. It was very successful for them. At our expense, but they got more than they could have hoped for on their own merit, and that's just success to some people.

Same thing for Horton and the whole "well, Lancet hasn't retracted PACE so it's still good". His responsibility in the Wakefield MMR paper is somehow always glossed over, he's still showered in unearned awards. When failure is rewarded as success, you certainly end up with a whole lot of glitzy failure.

Solstice, FMMM1, nick2155 and 9 others like this.
  20. Barry

What's in an acronym!