Do you believe that “viral persistence” is the cause of ongoing MECFS and LC?

Discussion in 'Possible causes and predisposing factor discussion' started by Jaybee00, Nov 1, 2023.

?

Do you believe that “viral persistence” is the cause of ongoing MECFS and LC?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mij, alktipping, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it could be a contributor, because why not? But it's probably not "the cause" in most cases.

3. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At the very least, in many cases, part of a tandem. In some, the whole story.

Too many prohibitions against tissue testing, too much sketchy goings-on with regard to specific pathogens for comfort.

Ash, EzzieD, livinglighter and 4 others like this.
  4. Woozy

Woozy Established Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think so as otherwise it would be easy to identify the virus in the blood. my serology was all negative when I first had Me/CFS.

5. Stuart79

Stuart79 Established Member

Very unlikely. No diseases that features confirmed viral persistence look anything like LC.

6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Obviously viruses play a significant role in the genesis of ME/CFS, but I am not sure that a dormant virus lurking unseen in the brain or in some other organ is sufficient to explain all the symptoms of ongoing ME/CFS.

If there was significant viral activity all the time that would surely have been picked up by now, and though we perhaps need more investigation I suspect viral reactivation during PEM or during an ME relapse in those that experience relapses would also have been found.

However there are plenty of other questions:
    • has everyone with ME always been subjected to prior EBV exposure even if that was not the immediate trigger for the condition as may be the case with MS? This might be easier to answer with the larger numbers of Long Covid suffers including many people with an ME like illness not immediately triggered by EBV.
    • can any virus trigger ME onset or an ME relapse, even without prior EBV exposure? My initial onset was associated with Glandular Fever (active EBV infection) but a very significant relapse was associated with influenza.
    • are there ways of identifying very low levels of virus activity that is very localised in the body? The only way I could envisage low levels of viral activity causing ongoing ME symptoms, would be if it was very localised, say in part of the brain that could be demonstrated to be upstream to all the varied symptoms experienced
    • etc

Ash, alktipping, AliceLily and 2 others like this.
  7. duncan

IMO, this may be the crux of the matter, the pivot point around which the debate spins. Can we trust the diagnostic metrics that historically have been brought to bear?

Ash, EzzieD, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  8. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I think there is a strong possibility that for at least a subset of patients there's something like that going on. I've had EBV as regular bloodwork before getting my M.E. diagnosis showed low levels of it in the blood, whether active or inactive. Regular screening also revealed bartonella, when googling it the "stretch-marks" on my thighs finally made sense. I've had several tests for borrelia done and most of them showed up positive.

Ash, EzzieD, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  9. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm pretty skeptical. I don't have any known ongoing infections. I even tested negative for EBV.

10. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been tested twice for EBV and both times tested negative for past or present.

11. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is unlikely that ME/CFS is caused by a persistent viral or bacterial infection, but that we shouldn’t completely rule this possibility out. IMO, the most likely explanation is that an initial infection or other trigger starts a pathway, which is perpetuated independently of the trigger.

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

My only beliefs about ongoing ME/CFS and LC are that they are not caused by psychological factors, and that hypotheses such as viral persistence need adequately investigating to either prove or disprove them.

wingate, Binkie4, Keela Too and 16 others like this.
  13. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Viral persistence is possibly the longest standing hypothesis for ME/CFS and, generally, post-acute infection syndromes. Proponents argue that it may only be happening in tissues such that a blood draw would not be able to detect it. I am personally not endeared to this hypothesis, but the only certainty that we have is that it has not been properly investigated so far, in part due to the difficulty of sampling tissues. It ought to be, so that we can either pursue this lead or put it to rest once and for all.

Thus, as weary as I am of Amy Proal’s involvement with PolyBio, I am glad to see that they have been able to secure substantial funding to look at viral persistence in long Covid given that their study protocol seems quite robust.

Binkie4, EndME, ItsMERJD and 10 others like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that LC on the other hand might be a persistent viral infection based on brain tissue samples obtained from deceased pts.

15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and duncan like this.
  16. duncan

With immune tolerance, in theory, virus can persist without producing antibodies, so it's only through PCR or direct culture that we can "see" them, and if they're recused in reservoirs hard to access - like brain tissue -persistence can be difficult to demonstrate.

EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  17. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't viral persistence offer a pretty good explanation for delayed PEM? Exertion and repair from that exertion take energy away from the immune system [Edit: "energy stealing" doesn't have to be the reason, could be some other unknown mechanism where exertion allows a virus to proliferate. Maybe even a mechanism that is specific to ME.], so the virus gets a chance to break out of containment and build up its levels. Replication can take a few days, as can be seen with normal acute infections.

There have been multiple studies showing RNA of SARS-CoV-2 months or years after infection in LC, but as far as I know, no evidence of the actual virus, though. But maybe it's not viral persistence of the COVID virus, but instead the proposed reactivation of other viruses, like EBV. Though it'd be much more satisfyingly simple if it was just COVID persistence that we haven't found yet.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
    duncan, Peter Trewhitt and Keela Too like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think you can take energy away from the immune system in any meaningful sense. If anything repair signals would activate cells.

There seems to be pretty good negative evidence for persistence of any initiating microbe in ME/CFS. Also there is no good evidence for reactivation of specific viruses like EBV. I think it is possible that there is reactivation of immune responses to viruses or bacteria that we have raging around all the time.

Ash, SNT Gatchaman, EndME and 8 others like this.
  19. duncan

I'm not sure how meaningful this is. Put another way, this is about as meaningful as claiming there is pretty good negative evidence for persistence of Borrelia, Babesia, or Bartonella in ME/CFS - which is not very meaningful.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  20. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a bit surprising to me. I just found this:

The open window of susceptibility to infection after acute exercise in healthy young male elite athletes, Kakanis et al, 2010
    So even if it's not necessarily "taking energy away", it looks like there are lots of significant changes to the immune system after exercise that might create conditions for a virus to replicate in pwME for some reason.

Though apparently there are "debunkers" of this "open window" hypothesis:

Debunking the Myth of Exercise-Induced Immune Suppression: Redefining the Impact of Exercise on Immunological Health Across the Lifespan, Campbell, 16 Apr 2018
    This seems to be a debate of sorts between the two camps:

Can exercise affect immune function to increase susceptibility to infection?, 2020

Surprisingly, I can't find any studies about duration of a pathogenic illness vs. how much bed rest/exercise a person got. I think I just don't know where to look, because I can't believe no one's looked at that.