Do you believe that “viral persistence” is the cause of ongoing MECFS and LC?

Discussion in 'Possible causes and predisposing factor discussion' started by Jaybee00, Nov 1, 2023.

?

Do you believe that “viral persistence” is the cause of ongoing MECFS and LC?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If immune tolerance is at play, odds are nothing would.

Ash likes this.
  2. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, what does this mean?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
  3. duncan

Back in the early 1950's the Nobel Prize went to a couple of guys who demonstrated that a fetus can inherit from its mother an immunological unresponsiveness toward an antigen or group of antigens.

But some veterinarians had been purportedly toying with the concept before that, and well after. In this frame of reference, as I understand it, immune tolerance can be looked at as a state where there is little to no inflammation or antibody response to certain antigens that might typically cause such responses. It happens when elements of the immune system are effectively muted or suppressed.

So - in theory - you could have active infections and not test positive for them.

Ash and alktipping like this.
  4. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But doesn't this imply that while you might not be able to test for antibodies, or some other aspect of the body's response, you should be able test for the virus directly with PCR, maybe even more easily, since it's not being suppressed?

Ash, alktipping, duncan and 1 other person like this.
  5. duncan

You have to know where to look, and what you're looking for.

Ash, alktipping and forestglip like this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"not on his list" surely a completely unknow genetic fingerprint/organism would stick out like a sore thumb?
    DecodeME will hopefully provide clues in the near future, but I think Jonathan's take (common pathogen but aberrant immune response) is better fit at this point.

Ash, alktipping, Yann04 and 1 other person like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few references on immunoparalysis.

The Calm after the Storm: Implications of Sepsis Immunoparalysis on Host Immunity (2023, The Journal of Immunology)

Broad defects in the energy metabolism of leukocytes underlie immunoparalysis in sepsis (2016, Nature Immunology)

Monocytes and Macrophages, Targets of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2: The Clue for Coronavirus Disease 2019 Immunoparalysis (2021, The Journal of Infectious Diseases)

The Itaconate Pathway Is a Central Regulatory Node Linking Innate Immune Tolerance and Trained Immunity (2018, Cell Metabolism)

Resolving sepsis-induced immunoparalysis via trained immunity by targeting interleukin-4 to myeloid cells (2023, Nature Biomedical Engineering)

Sepsis and septic shock (2016, Nature Reviews Disease Primers)

Prolonged Reactive Oxygen Species Production following Septic Insult (2021, ImmunoHorizons)

Ash, duncan, Sean and 2 others like this.
  8. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. Don't know how widespread such experiences are; it's something I've never heard of till now. Such rapid fatigue could be secondary rather than directly from infection. In fact, it could be a true PEM rather than a fatigue from the infection. He could have developed post-viral syndrome while he was still in-viral and whatever exertion he did may have triggered PEM. It would be interesting to follow up on him and see if he still has the same fatigue episode after the virus was gone. On the face, however, it opens up the possibility of viral reactivation causing rapid PEM-like fatigue.

alktipping and forestglip like this.
  9. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the things that occurs to me, e.g. from Jonathan's comments above, is that the underlying cause of ME/CFS and Lyme are likely the same --- thinking of Nath's reference to solve ME/CFS, Lyme or Long COVID - you'll solve the all!

Ash and forestglip like this.