Doctors’ attitudes toward specific medical conditions, Scoles, 2022 (includes ME/CFS)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by cassava7, Oct 28, 2022.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, it's bad. But, this:
    is all about perception. Basically any criticism against medicine is invalid. Everyone just has to suck it up, they know it all.

Apparently it's a "hot take" that we have lower quality than most diseases. Evidence is just something you choose to believe or not based on what your peers and institutions think, apparently. Facts to some are "hot takes" to others.

Frankly, you can't fix that culture. It's an insular culture that needs to be fixed from external forces, but there aren't any, in part because it's too big.

There are a few less awful comments. At the bottom. Not popular.

So now: how to fix a broken system that is completely insulated from anything happening outside of it? In politics, this is where revolutions are needed. Except oppressed people can't revolt, so we're basically forever screwed. What an awesome system.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2022
    Ariel, TruthSeeker, Hoopoe and 9 others like this.
  2. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reddit medicine is the most sinister, dystopian wasteland imaginable. It’s the Mordor of online message boards. The comments that garner the most up votes are beyond awful. They hate us, and essentially argue that we deserve the attitudes highlighted by the paper

Ariel, Hoopoe, cfsandmore and 4 others like this.
  3. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I might be wrong but i think reddit tends to attract certain kinds of people. If you look at r/science there's a large amount of very low quality psychology/sociology papers being posted daily. The people who post/comment from what i've seen over the years also seem to generally be very cynical/angry at the world. The social dynamics there are different compared to a forum like this one where people are having earnest discussions. It feels a lot more like an echo chamber where a lot of people go to vent and generally just be angry/outraged at things, and only occasionally discuss things seriously.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    Michelle, sebaaa, Mij and 6 others like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I shouldn't have read that, now I feel horrible. I feel like I waded through a sewage pond.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I was tempted but I couldn’t access it through the link presumably as I’m not signed up to Reddit, so my default setting of not touching Reddit with a barge pole remains in tact and I won’t bother.

6. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simon Says.jpeg Simon says "Well then Schizophrenia and Anorexia Nervosa should also be regarded as physical illnesses".

7. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, Art Vandelay and TruthSeeker like this.
  8. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2023
    DokaGirl, Sean, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged
    Recording of webinar with Brooke Scoles on her study on use of stigmatizing language used about ME patients on an online forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAyHbr5rdwI

&

https://fb.watch/hR88P5kpsj/

Organised by Norges Myalgisk Encefalopati Forening

"Stigmatizing language about ME wtih Brooke Scoles, MPhil

The language and words used when referring to a disease and the patients who have the disease affect the kind of care the patients receive. Brooke Scoles analyzed how different diseases were discussed in an online forum for doctors, finding that ME was mentioned more often in negative ways than other diseases. In this webinar she talks about the study."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2023
    Sean, ahimsa, Trish and 7 others like this.