1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your ME cause sleep inversion?

Discussion in 'Sleep Disturbance' started by leokitten, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Does your ME cause sleep inversion?

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was aware of the problem with diphenhydramine. I had really severe sleeping problems a few years ago and took the maximum dose of the stuff every night for several months. Eventually I got all sorts of new health problems developing that I traced to the diphenhydramine and I stopped taking them. The only symptoms I remember after all this time were the most violent restless leg symptoms I've ever had, and a conviction that I was developing galloping dementia.

Little Bluestem and leokitten like this.
  2. aza

aza Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hydroxyzine gives me immediate brain zaps!

Little Bluestem likes this.
  3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m intrigued now. What’s a brain zap?

Little Bluestem likes this.
  4. aza

aza Established Member (Voting Rights)

My scalp gets electric shock feelings and I have to shake my head and blink so I can focus on what's happening.

andypants, Little Bluestem and Trish like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I was hopeful my sleeping pattern would be a bit more normal due to the hour change for autumn/winter but no if anything it seems to feel more out of kilter because I’m not getting up any earlier and it goes dark early now.

This time last year I was busy moving house so didn’t notice this because I had to get up early quite a lot of the time.

Maybe I should go against my normal approach of trying to just go with what feels right and try to force myself to get up earlier. It just seems a bit daft to push myself like that on days when I don’t have anything planned

Just rambling out loud really. It actually would be daft as I’m not doing too well at the moment. PEM worsens sleep. Poor sleep worsens PEM ugh.

Simbindi, Trish and Forbin like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If a lot of ME patients do have abnormal sleep patterns (I certainly do), I wonder how that might have affected all those studies on "morning cortisol" that they used to love to do on ME patients. It's probably not very sensible to test the "morning cortisol' level of people who would normally be waking up at, say, noon.

I went for a sleep test once. I was wide awake for six hours, slept for two (only after finally having to ask for a sleeping pill - which kind of shows how poorly I was being monitored).