Dr Byron Hyde - Canada

Discussion in 'Other clinics and doctors' started by Hoopoe, Aug 20, 2019.

1. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sorry for your loss.

Ash, alktipping, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  2. daftasabrush

Yes, I have read her response to that. A part of it may have been the freezing of samples. I'm shocked at how few patients were involved too. I had hoped ME Research UK could have funded a larger group

alktipping, Louie41, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  3. daftasabrush

Still nothing public from Byron Hyde?

Louie41 and Annamaria like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Byron Hyde "Understanding Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - The new polio and chronic fatigue syndromes" (Book)

Continues at:
    https://25megroup.org/book-reviews

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2023
    ScottTriGuy and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Byron Hyde surrenders his medical license (S4ME thread, August 2019):
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/dr-byron-hyde-surrenders-his-medical-license.10892/

TigerLilea, Cheshire, Milo and 2 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, how wonderful it must be to have such absolute certainty.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2020
    TigerLilea, MEMarge, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

ME/CFS Alert with Llewellyn King and Deborah Waroff - Episode 121: Interview with Dr. Byron Hyde of the Nightingale Research Foundation

In this interview Dr. Byron Hyde, founder of the Nightingale Research Foundation in Ottawa, Canada, emphasizes the brain and enteroviruses. He also emphasizes his belief that Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are separate issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sq95x-qBA4

livinglighter, sebaaa, Forbin and 7 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"most physicians thought infectious disease was something that wasn't rational" -- at about 5 mins.

9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a pity that all the new research funding for corona virus will be of no benefit to us if ME is caused only by enteroviruses.

10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not necessarily. My understanding is that we no longer have the virus, so the cause is no longer what is keeping us ill. Our physiopathology might share similar pathways to PEM.

sebaaa and alktipping like this.
  11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mij, Jaybee00, Sarah94 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah i was surprised when he said that up until 1905 doctors didn't believe in infectious disease (4:23). That can't be true right?

Ash, alktipping and Sarah94 like this.
  13. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Hyde from the interview:
    He says that, as opposed to polio, which injures the nerve endings of the anterior part of the spinal cord, the injury is to the small blood vessels going to that area.

I found this interesting for a couple of reasons.

First, it sounds very much like Dr. Systrom's hypothesis for why blood returning to the hearts of ME patients has too much oxygen. Something is restricting oxygenated blood from reaching the smallest of blood vessels and the capillary bed - so, some of the oxygen is never delivered and it returns to the heart.

Second, this was also Dr. Ryll's explanation for a viral outbreak of "infectious venulitis" (which he believed was an ME variant) in a Sacramento, CA hospital and environs in 1975. In some of these cases, frank bruising was visible on the surface of the skin - a feature which distinguished it from typical ME.

The idea that constriction of the microcirculation is a factor in ME has been around for a while. I know there have been studies on it in the last decade or so - most concerned with nitric oxide and its relation to endothelial dysfunction. A writeup by Cort at PR regarding a 2020 study can be found here.

I'm not sure if it could be called "inflammation," since the actual effect seems to be to reduce the blood supply at the smallest scales. Something would be causing the constriction of tinniest blood vessels, but it couldn't be so complete and pervasive as to actually kill cells wholesale. It would just impair their function.

I have no idea if this is, in fact, a part of the ME puzzle, but it does keep showing up from different directions.

ETA: Link the to 2020 study: Peripheral Endothelial Dysfunction in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Ash, alktipping, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  14. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The research into polio was held up for decades because the leading researcher in the US did not believe in infectious organisms.

I think Dr Hyde gave up his license to practice rather than fight allegations and an awful lot of ME doctors have had allegations made against them.

He is very old now, most doctors who had knowledge of enteroviruses are gone and his insight is still useful as there is very little modern research. It is like the problems with the upsurge of TB. The bacteria could only be detected by an antiquated test that took 6 weeks before it gave a result. Enteroviruses have much the same problem.

Ash, ukxmrv and Perrier like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem is that it shows up in different directions. Which is no use as science, which relies on things being consistent.

Dr Hyde is making things up as he goes along. There is no scientific evidence here of any value. The more patients quote Hyde the less they will be taken seriously.

Ash, alktipping, TrixieStix and 6 others like this.
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read the chapters that are available and it's unprofessionally written. There's also no data or references for many of the claims he makes.

Ash, alktipping, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  17. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post copied from IIMEC 2023: Maureen Hanson

Dr.Byron Hyde

Non-Infectious M.E. Type Disease: I have not discussed noninfectious M.E.-type disease. Similar M.E phenomena can occur due to CNS injuries from toxic chemical injury. I have seen this in police officers who have fallen into toxic chemical ponds in pursuit of those suspected of criminal activity. I have seen it in farmers repeatedly exposed to pesticides and herbicides, in hospital and industrial workers and in military personnel in contact with toxic chemicals, specifically toxic gases. I will discuss these at a later date as Secondary M.E. They do have one thing in common, and that is they also have a diffuse CNS injury as noted on brain SPECT scans. The diagnosis is made by history, as the actual cases are very difficult to diagnose due to the inability to assess brain levels of toxins in a live patient. Often these Secondary M.E. diseases are more severe than the infectious M.E. cases.

forestglip and Ash like this.
  18. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Has there anyone somewhat qualified ever explained why the SPECT scan results by Hyde are "no evidence"?

19. Woozy

Woozy Established Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Is ME Non-paralytic Polio?

According to Dr Byron Hyde, ME is nonparalytic polio. I have read his book Understanding ME.
    It does explain the epidemic form of ME I suppose. Whether I believe him though or not idk.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2023
    forestglip likes this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

99% of polio was non-paralytic and bore no resemblance to ME.
    Very few people take Dr Hyde seriously on this. He has never produced any evidence as far as I know.

forestglip, TiredSam, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.