Dr Byron Hyde - Canada

Discussion in 'Other clinics and doctors' started by Hoopoe, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not quite sure how it'd fit in with the fact that most children born in Westernised countries from the late '50s onwards were vaccinated against poliovirus and grew up in societies where it was to a large extent eliminated, yet plenty of us went on to develop ME.

forestglip, oldtimer, Ash and 4 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems to be just another dubious pet theory that is stuck to when it should have been abandoned long ago. For private practitioners, these kinds of theories are also a way to make money by presenting themselves as the one expert that has it figured out.

3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know Myhill argued that the Polio vaccine meant people got ME rather than Polio. Because the vaccine made the immune systems unable to respond in normal ways to infection. I feel like she was picking up an older niche view rather than inventing it. I can’t be certain but feel like I half remember this being a thing.

forestglip and alktipping like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a neighbour who got Polio as a child, she had a relapse in her mid 40's and her legs fell out beneath her on the street. She couldn't walk. What she described was not like M.E.

5. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I don’t think anyone even in that crew was saying having ME was like having Polio. I do think the hypothesis was surrounded by eugenicist anti-vax ideology, like okay Polio vax stopped Polio proper, but it weakened the population and now we are all feeble and ME ridden.

forestglip and alktipping like this.