1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Karl Morten - UK researcher based at Oxford University

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Adrian, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't like to be constantly critical but I am afraid that to me this looks like a muddle of half-formed and unsubstantiated ideas involving collaborators who seem to have little idea of science. I do not think any formal funding body would fund it. I agree with @InitialConditions that crowdfunding for this sort of level of money is hard to see the justification for.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps the project is over-ambitious and too diverse. I would think there would be more chance of getting funding, both from funding bodies and from crowdfunding, for single centre, single hypothesis pieces of high quality research by individual researchers/research teams.

Why, for example, try to include funding an FMT study run by a small private clinic, when there is the big study about to start at Quadram in Norwich funded by IiMER, and another in Norway?

And the Polish group seem to use Fukuda for diagnosis, which will likely mess up any results.

I hate being so negative. I would gladly donate to Karl Morton's research if I could see details of exactly what he is planning to do, but I don't want my money to go to a centre that uses Fukuda, or another FMT trial.

Arvo, Jan, sebaaa and 11 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sebaaa, Aroa, adambeyoncelowe and 4 others like this.
  4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like a lot of people I Googled "L-form bacteria" when I first came across the idea (linked to ME). Also, bear in mind that Ron Davis has made comments regarding pathogens and wanting to look at bacteria --- but they are difficult since they could be present owing to sample contamination (from the skin).

Bacterial have recently been shown to cause some forms of Alzheimer's disease; interestingly a GWAS study identified a genetic susceptibility and eventually they figured out a bacteria was the pathogen exploiting that vulnerability.
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0228206

5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the question of funding: is there an organisation comparable to the AHRC that funds doctoral research?

The arts has used AHRC funding to do some important work. For instance, I was involved in a five-year project where a teacher and director used her PhD programme to develop a framework for making theatre with young people with profound and multiple learning disabilities. It changed the field nationwide, and continues to do so. Another colleague is currently exploring the verbatim theatre model she has been working on – in her case to tell the real stories of refugees, but it has much wider potential. The research funding is patched together with money from other sources, e.g. university departments, theatres, and in-kind support, meaning a lot can be achieved on modest grants.

I've no idea how the biomedical sciences are funded or even what questions might be appropriate for doctoral research, but as we have to make the most of every possibility, I thought I'd ask!

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn't this theory of L-form bacteria found in the blood part of Marshall protocol years ago? How did that work out?

junkcrap50 and alktipping like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Kitty, Joh, Simon M and 2 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would be better if he avoided branching out to other topics like L-form bacteria and stuck to metabolism. In part because this idea of L-form bacteria isn't new and nothing much seems to have come out of it.

If he could identify the blood actors that are altering cell function then that would already be a great achievement, even if it doesn't directly help patients. He also thinks that he's found unknown metabolites that strongly correlate with the illness and that seems worth looking into further.

Sorry to be so blunt but I think his Polish collaborators are seriously underestimating the difficulty of the problem and fooling themselves by conducting weakly or non controlled studies that show some probably only illusory benefit due to the flawed design. I hope I'm not misremembering but their patient characteristics are also atypical as they have more men than women which could suggest problems with patient selection.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fundraising for ME/CFS is pretty low compared to a lot of other illnesses. It's not ideal that lots of newly ill patients get encouraged to put all of their time and money into treatments unlikely to do any good.

I have to admit that I have no idea which of these appeals are worth supporting though.

10. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have reservations about the polish involvement/ size etc. Maybe more information will be given. I have not watched his CMRC video yet. However I’m sure he dislikes crowd funding too and really it’s fortunate for us he’s trying to continue staying in the field.

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven’t looked into this in any detail but with Julia Newton saying she is no longer doing ME research “because funding is so difficult to secure” (from the last APPG meeting), the lack of biomedical researchers in the U.K. is worrying and it seems important to hold on to those interested if possible and feasible.

12. Cinders66

What happens to the donations if it doesn’t take off? Anyone know if he’s going to get support anywhere for this, as a million plus fundraiser without it, will struggle I think.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Karl has given me the OK to share this here - I believe that it will be shown on his official Oxford webpages eventually but the current situation probably means the staff who would normally do this are too busy to action it.

The attached PDF gives further detail, the quote below just gives the project summary.
    A more pictorial overview
    Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 12.48.32.png

To support this project, donations can be made via https://www.development.ox.ac.uk/mecfs

Attached Files:

Kitty, ukxmrv, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I was skeptical about using fatigue as a study area, but I think I understand the point of it in this project better now.

As I understand it, the point of including people with fatiguing illnesses is not to find similarlities on the assumption that there is a biological cause of 'fatigue' common to all, as I had assumed.

Rather the point it to use the other fatiguing illnessess as a better control group than healthy controls, so a study of ME patients can seek biochemical and/or microbiological differences that distinguish pwME not just from healthy people, but from other sick people - to look for factors that are unique to ME.

Arvo, Jan, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.
  15. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm still concerned about their partnership with the FMT clinic. How do you ensure FMT samples people get will not have COVID-19.

Kitty, sebaaa, Andy and 2 others like this.
  16. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not thrilled by the cryotherapy and FMT but I suppose we need to rule treatments out as well as in.

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

There is this from a company in the US - https://www.openbiome.org/press-releases/2020/3/16/openbiome-screening-for-covid-19. The Dove Clinic, as far as I can see, doesn't use Open Biome but a company in the UK, https://tml.science/, which hasn't, at least on its website, made any statement yet about COVID-19, but perhaps they will follow the lead of Open Biome?

Kitty and wigglethemouse like this.
  18. Cinders66

I watched his CMRC presentation but had brain lapses so more gist than details.

he is blessed with energy and seemed very enthusiastic about collaborations and various possibilities. I really would like to see him funded. The polish cohort had CPET testing so even better than uk diagnosis I think.
    Are the mea going to give him funding ? But it would still only be £100-200 000 per year. He might have heard about the rituximab and OMF larger scale campaigns reaching his sort of financial targets but i’m not sure that His research would inspire a global campaign or support. I just don’t know, except perhaps with philanthropist backing, how he will raise even half of the target in 5 years without some type of well organised campaign.

Kitty and Dolphin like this.
  19. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

MEA: Fundraising: University of Oxford – Understanding the causes of ME/CFS | 14 April 2020

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...rstanding-the-causes-of-me-cfs-14-april-2020/

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a condition affecting 20 million people worldwide, but it remains a puzzle to both the medical profession and patients.

Complex symptoms make it difficult to diagnose and only 5% of patients make a full recovery.

Research into the causes has been limited due to lack of funding, but the recent identification of high levels of L-form bacteria in the blood of ME/CFS patients suggests a compromised immune system could be a biological cause of the illness.

Dr Karl Morten at the University of Oxford proposes to lead a major research project to investigate this possible cause in detail. It will be the largest project of its kind in Europe, involving three ME/CFS research centres over 4-5 years…

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2020
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member