1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for chronic pain: the opportunity to begin again : Travers, Eccleston et al Apr 2020

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.ED000139/full

2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why's Doctor Who doing this? :laugh:

FMMM1, MEMarge, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This. So much this. GIGO syndrome.

Although, Cochrane, you know:

[​IMG]

Although, the metaphor is to not throw the stones from your glasshouse because you're just as likely to destroy it than your enemy's but in this case I say go nuts, throw all the damn rocks, indiscriminately and as hard as you can.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only just skimmed this, but very heartening insofar as the overview does what it should - identify cr*p Cochrane reviews as it finds them, and calls for much better in the future.

Disheartening that the reviews were so dire, but that's no surprise to most of us here anyway.

ETA: See correction to my comment by @Jonathan Edwards below.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't it say that the Cochrane reviews were fine but the trials they reviewed were not?

My question would be why begin again with a treatment that has not accrued any worthwhile evidence over forty years?

Hutan, Michelle, Snow Leopard and 7 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes you're absolutely right, sorry. My skim clearly skimmed over a crucial bit of info.

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried using a tens machine 20yrs ago it had no benefit and seemed to make things worse .I would not recommend these devices to anyone .

Hutan, MEMarge and shak8 like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Minor pain relief. Capsaicin cream better.

lunarainbows, MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  9. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cochrane never do overviews of all available treatments for a single patient population. These would be potentially quite useful, even if they only highlighted how there aren't any treatments with any decent evidence behind them (eg for ME). Instead they elect to do "overview reviews" of Cochrane reviews, on single well established treatments for loads of different patient populations. To conclude that all the trials of said well established treatment are garbage. No shit Sherlock. Utterly useless.

Michelle, shak8, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  10. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually - at least they specify how future research on TENS should be done. But should it be done?? It would now be unethical to do research on GET for ME. Maybe the same is true for TENS...? I don't know.

11. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love my TENS machine and find it has been incredibly helpful. Physio who originally suggested it (for chronic post operative pain, not ME) claimed it was only worked for 25% of people. For once, the odds were in my favour! :)

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

not TENs per se but there is an article in the Daily Mail
    on a similar product Arc4Health which is being touted as a potential treatment for LC.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...200-device-used-treat-injured-racehorses.html

At first I thought yeah right, another 'cure story with a gimmicky title', but looking on their website this bit jumped out
    https://arcmicrotech.com/arc4health/science-of-microcurrent/

I've not looked into this further but would be interested to know if there is anything to back up this claim.

JemPD and oldtimer like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like straightforward pseudoscience.

shak8, JemPD, FMMM1 and 4 others like this.