1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrophysiological studies in patients with the post-viral fatigue syndrome, 1985, Jamal and Hansen

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by wigglethemouse, May 13, 2021.

1. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came across this paper while looking at a Peter Behan paper from 1985. This paper is from his colleagues using Behan's patients.

Abstract
    Single fibre electromyography (SFEMG) was studied in 40 patients with the post-viral fatigue syndrome. These patients were also assessed clinically, serologically, virologically and immunologically. About 75% of the patients had definitely abnormal SFEMG results. This was regarded as evidence of abnormality in the peripheral part of the motor unit. The muscle fibre was the likely site of involvement.

Excerpt from Conclusion
    We conclude that we have shown clear electrophysiological evidence of an abnormality in the peripheral part of the motor unit in patients with postviral fatigue syndrome. This abnormality has been shown in patients not suffering from neuropathy or myopathy by clincal, laboratory and electrophysiological criteria. At present, involve-ment of the muscle fibre membrane seem an attrac-tive hypothesis to explain the abnormalities reported.

Link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1028412/
    PDF : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1028412/pdf/jnnpsyc00111-0079.pdf

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Lidia, Sly Saint, J.G and 10 others like this.
  2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here are the main results for the jitter measurement in the paper where 75% of patients showed an abnormality.

upload_2021-5-13_8-21-42.png

Sean, Michelle, oldtimer and 6 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1985. Let that sink in .

Lidia, Sean, wigglethemouse and 4 others like this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether there's some sort of bias against following up (or funding) research that has been done x years ago, even if it's suddenly become more relevant.

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The year I had EBV, and never recovered.
    What would life have been like if biomedical science had been supported to find treatments and possibly a cure?