Esther Crawley

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Sly Saint, Nov 20, 2017.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm assuming this is likely the case and that it's not related to her problematic work record, so am not speculating publicly on reasons why it might be other than to say we don't know.

2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what is the difference between having a license and being registered to practice with the GMC?

Peter Trewhitt, bobbler, Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must admit I thought they were the same thing.

But I think things are a bit more subtle and may have changed since I registered.

You need to be registered with the GMC i.e. on the Medical Register, to have a license to practice but you can be registered and your license lapse if you have not revalidated. Your license is also a restricted thing - specific to a speciality. So when things changed around 1990 I was no longer entitled to treat children. Prior to that I was allowed to, despite not being accredited in paediatrics.

4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea heard something about this ---[medical Doctors] are retiring earlier.
    Incentives like this can be considerable --- continue in the job and you're out of pocket --- an incentive to retire!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  5. Chestnut tree

Chestnut tree Established Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be due to legal reasons? Is it more difficult for possible victims to pursue legal actions if she has rescinded her dr’s licence?

6. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I remember correctly, a doctor who is facing fitness to practice proceedings or who is not in good standing cannot just relinquish (I think so that someone who was likely to face sanctions or erasure can't evade it). IIRC you actually had to get a letter from your employer to leave the register... at least that is how I remember it used to be.

Also medical negligence and other legal claims made by patients are usually against NHS trusts not individual clinicians.