Exploring microplastic impact on whole blood clotting dynamics utilizing thromboelastography, 2023, Christodoulides et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Aug 1, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exploring microplastic impact on whole blood clotting dynamics utilizing thromboelastography
    Christodoulides, Alexei; Hall, Abigail; Alves, Nathan J.

This study investigates the influence of microplastics on blood clotting. It addresses the lack of comprehensive research on the effects of microplastic size and surface modification on clotting dynamics in human whole blood. Thromboelastography was used to examine aminated (aPS), carboxylated (cPS), and non-functionalized (nPS) polystyrene particles with sizes of 50, 100, and 500  nm. Results show that cPS consistently activated the clotting cascade, demonstrating increased fibrin polymerization rates, and enhanced clot strength in a size and concentration-dependent manner. nPS had minimal effects on clotting dynamics except for 50  nm particles at the lowest concentration. The clotting effects of aPS (100  nm particles) resembled those of cPS but were diminished in the 500  nm aPS group. These findings emphasize the importance of microplastic surface modification, size, concentration, and surface area on in-vitro whole blood clotting dynamics.

Link | PDF (Frontiers in Public Health)

Ash, MeSci, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

On whether microplastics get into blood: (yes, they do)

3. Hutan

There were controls.
    Thromboelastography - looks like there is a special machine to measure relevant blood clotting parameters. I'm not sure what temperature the blood is at when the microplastics are added and the evaluation is done. It could be interesting to compare ME/CFS, LC and control blood using this tool.

4. Hutan

They seem to present the 'relatively low-shear environment' and lack of endothelial cells of the TEG as a good thing for experimentation, but of course it is a limitation of the study (and would also be a limitation of any experimentation with ME/CFS blood) in terms of knowing what actually happens in vivo.

(They do acknowledge the limitation of the experimental environment later.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    Ash, SNT Gatchaman and Andy like this.
  5. Hutan

There are a few typos in the paper. Unless I have misunderstood, I think this was the most consequential one I saw - the cPS reduced the time until cascade initiation or fibrin deposition, or it increased the speed of these things. See Figure 2

On the particle size:
    There's also a platelet activation effect
    Interactions of micro plastics with the immune system

Ash, Trish and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See also this mouse study (preprint) —

Microplastics dysregulate innate immunity in the SARS-CoV-2 infected lung
    Cameron R Bishop; Daniel J Rawle; Kexin Yan; Bing Tang; Thibaut Larcher; Andreas Suhrbier

Global microplastic (MP) pollution is now well recognized, with humans and animals consuming and inhaling MPs on a daily basis. Herein we described the effects of azide-free, 1 um polystyrene MP beads co-delivered into lungs with a SARS-CoV-2 omicron BA.5 inoculum using a mouse model of mild COVID-19. Lung virus titres and viral RNA levels were not significantly affected by MPs, with overt clinical or histopathological changes also not observed.

However, RNA-Seq of infected lungs revealed that MP exposure suppressed innate immune responses at 2 days post infection (dpi) and increased pro-inflammatory signatures at 6 dpi. The cytokine profile at 6 dpi showed a significant correlation with the cytokine release syndrome signature seen in some severe COVID-19 patients. This study adds to a growing body of literature suggesting that MPs can dysregulate inflammation in specific disease settings.

Link | PDF (Preprint: BioRxiv)

Ash and Hutan like this.
  7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

And with plastics, there is the additional factor of where it came from and if it has absorbed compounds from that environment before entering us. There was a student project where I studied where plastic collected from the sea was remade into keychains etc., and I couldn't get behind it since the plastic can absorb so much crap making those everyday items potentially problematic.

Trish likes this.