Fingernail defects?

Just seen this thread and decided to revive it.

In the attached pictures you can see my nails, since getting ME they have been getting these clearly visible vertical ridges as well as bumps and little holes sometimes. It's similar with my toenails. They have also become less strong and started to bend more and I have to watch that my toenails don't get ingrown which never happened before. I have also no lunulae anymore except for those really tiny ones you see on my thumb. As I am in my late 20's I don't think age is any factor yet.

For me this is unpleasant and it concerns my that it looks so obviously unhealthy, but it was also useful for me because this, together with my throat being always red in the back (sometimes called 'crimsons crescent') have been obvious signs for me personally that whatever I have isn't psychological. The Dr. that diagnosed me with ME has also claimed that the crimson crescent as well as the nail changes are very common in persons he has seen whose ME is moderate or worse.

I wonder if some of you have similar changes since getting ME and what could be the cause of this.
 

Attachments

  • 1790809359483.webp
    1790809359483.webp
    162.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000028750.webp
    1000028750.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 1790809447466.webp
    1790809447466.webp
    126.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I too, now, have vertical ridges, but I’ve been very ill for the past 13 years, so it doesn’t seem to be related. However, my nails have had horizontal waves for a long time, and the depressions have always been a very good indicator of the deterioration in my health, as has the skin flaking away around them.
 
I have vertical ridges. My nails can be a bit brittle at times due to being an excessive hand washer. The handwashing thing is more to do with trying to avoid added sickness on top of ME/CFS which began in my severest years. So sick and the last thing I needed was more sickness on top.
 
My vertical ridges began long before my diagnosis and before I was ill enough to have any sense of what was going on. I am not sure exactly when the first appeared, but I am going to guess it was in my early- to mid-thirties? I was told at the time they were nothing to worry about.
 
I have had terrible nails ,thin weak and ridgey, most of my life.
Split or crack easily gardening (do wear gloves to avoid “poisoned fingers”/infections) , also vertical ridges… that appear to have worsened with age, (only remember a couple of smooth finger nails as a kid ,not one is smooth now).

My mothers nails were beautiful. Smooth and strong. Dads the opposite… ridgey and thin.
Oh and my Sisters nails are also full of vertical ridges but stronger/thicker than mine.
 
I've had vertical lines since the onset of ME/CFS for 35yrs. I have only started seeing vertical lines in my toenails in the last 2 years, so I'm not sure that too much handwashing is causing this since I don't wash my feet several times a day or even every day.
 
Back
Top Bottom