1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Heart rate variability in patients with somatic symptom disorders and functional somatic syndromes: a systematic review and meta-analysis, 2020, Cheng

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic fatigue syndrome is mentioned as one of the keywords so I thought I would post it in this forum

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0149763419309868

Sean, InfiniteRubix, Simon M and 6 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a systematic review of studies on HRV in 4 different patient populations: CFS, fibromyalgia, IBS, functional somatic syndromes & somatic symptom disorders. Here's the list of studies they looked at for the CFS group.

medherb1.png
    Anyway, per the authors' paragraph about the limitations of the underlying studies (pp. 12-13), this review is pretty much useless. Props to them for being honest about it. Bolding and spacing mine in the quote below.

Hutan, Snow Leopard, Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just publishing for the sake of it the academic industry is totally unfit for any purpose . I loathe so called meta analysis because you cannot trust the data from a lot of papers it actually takes real time and effort to weed out the vast amount of tripe that has been published

Trish likes this.
  5. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is the low HRV is associated with a number of phsyiological ailments.

To say they are cherry picking to acquire some pseudo bio legitimacy appears to be an understatement.

Sean likes this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem in general is HRV is a very non-specific marker. One of the primary associations of HRV is with fitness, so it is not surprising that chronically ill individuals would have slightly lower HRV, even if there are zero other reasons for association with such illnesses.

Hutan, rvallee, cassava7 and 4 others like this.
  7. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)