1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How is your motor control?

Discussion in 'Neurological/cognitive/vision' started by Alvin, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Soliraty confimenet causes the human brain to fall aprt so whiel many prefer slone time we are not deisgned for isolatoin

andypants, AliceLily and Wonko like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have problems with writing sometimes. Most of the writing I do these days is reminders to myself to do things, or very occasionally I have to fill in a form or sign something. I sometimes lose control of my hand, and without any warning at all my hand will jerk in a random direction and what I'm writing will become just a meaningless scribble.

With regard to spelling, I've been using a spell checker for years. What I struggle with is words that sound the same but are spelled differently, for example, principal and principle. I can spell both versions of the word so it won't be highlighted by my spell checker. However, my spell checker doesn't tell me which version is correct to use in different circumstances. It didn't matter in the past, because I knew which one to use without much (or any) thought. Now, my mind goes completely blank on which is correct, and I have to spend time arguing with myself about which one I should be using. I doubt very much that I get it right all the time.

Alvin, andypants and Wonko like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use a dictionary to rest my mouse on. I don't need it to check spelling very often, but it's always handy!

Alvin, andypants, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor. Big difference with before. Most annoying is sometimes I try to grab something or do fine hand movement and it's like there's a glitch and my hand goes all jerky and jittery. My brain responds pretty much like missing a step when walking, sort of a jolt of "something unexpected happened". Not a big deal in absolute terms but the difference with before is very noticeable. I am normally pretty much 0 clumsy, never used to drop anything or bump into things, fine motor controls and hand-eye coordination.

When standing still I sometimes lose a bit of balance from my legs getting weak, especially after some exertion.

I have spasticity sometimes. Had a few episodes when it went on for several days, like everything is rusty.

Constant shaking/jitters, especially my hands, too but it's not very noticeable so I have no idea when it started.

Alvin, andypants, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  5. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It comes and goes, but a lot worse than before ME. We had to buy a dark rug for the living room because glasses of wine kept falling on it:bag:

The more tired I am the more I will struggle with words and with coordination, when glasses and words start to go missing it’s past my bedtime.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re B12 tests - attached is a guide which highlights different types of assay.
    It' s a NICE document so should provide info suitable for your GP

Wonko likes this.
  7. Alvin

Somehow i completely forgot about this thread. Don't ask me how

Yikes.
    Mine is not like this but it is taxing and my writing has become almost doctor like at times

I can understand this. Mine is more that my hands don't do what i am tying to get them to do or i can't get fine enough to get a particular job done

When i was milder i would get this frequently not as much anymore

Interesting. Sometimes i notice when tired musical pitch goes off, if i am hearing music and its out of tune then i know brain is malfunctioning

Interesting. I only read the first chart but at those prices if we had such tests here i would get it done.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Wonko and andypants like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My wife's fine motor control is good, she can do fine needlework etc. But her legs have been an issue since she got ME. Told me it was like having to learn to walk all over again, having to consciously think through putting one leg in front of another; she also uses a stick. And whereas once she could walk along with head up and taking in her surroundings, she has to stop walking in order to do that now; whilst walking she has to look ahead at the ground where she is walking.

MeSci, Wonko and andypants like this.
  9. Alvin

Weird how there are so many differences.
    Earlier when i was mild/moderate my motor control was amazing, it was difficult but i could do things most people could not, i could hit baseballs in a batting cage with amazing accuracy (then crash), i could photograph objects moving in the air. I've come to suspect it was due to my compensations for slowly increasing motor control changes.

Barry, Wonko and andypants like this.
  10. Klabautermann

Klabautermann Established Member (Voting Rights)

I saw a neuropsych. in 2007 with regards to issues I was having typing. They put me through tests and the result was that I have 'medium range' damage to the part of my brain that deals with fine motor skills. I have done what I could over the years to help my brain (neuroplasticity I guess would fall under this) and it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be, but I sometimes have small 'moments' where I mess up a bit.

It's M.E. Linda, MeSci and Wonko like this.