How to deal with Unexpected stresses

Discussion in 'Relationships and coping' started by Hell..hath..no..fury..., Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its 11pm, i’m sitting in hospital waiting room. My partner came round to mine at 9.30 to use my heart monitoring equipment as he has Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome and he was tachycardic. He’s usually okay but they’ll need to keep a check on him in case they need to shock him.

I rang the ambulance, quickly got ready, rush packed a bag full of drugs and sunglasses, checked him into hospital, now i’m just waiting to hear what ward he’s been put in.

I’ve been here an hour so far, and sitting typing to try to stop the surrounding people from talking to me; a few of them drunk.

Now the adrenaline is wearing off, i’m starting to crash and i’m just as tachycardic as he was lol. I don’t know how long i can sit in this seat for and i might be here all night :ill:

Its times like this when ME is a major pain in the backside. The unplanned emergencies. My worrying about him is quickly being replaced about worrying about the looks i’m going to get if i collapse on the floor and throw up.

That dirty disgusting floor is looking so, so inviting right now

MEMarge, Indigophoton, Sbag and 18 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so sorry to hear about this :(
    Hopefully both of you will be ok :hug:
    Are they able and willing to accommodate your condition?

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I guess i’ll find out when i eventually pass out lol

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can they give you a quiet bed and know what to do if you need more?

And i know exactly what you mean about
    :cry:

5. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do a lot of pretending to sleep in these circumstances. Finding the closest thing to a corner and huddling up as if I were exhausted and actually sleeping. I might be exhausted but I’m nowhere near sleeping but it keeps most people at bay.
    As a young woman backpacking I used to find the most standoffish looking man or woman in the room and sit close enough to them that a casual observer might think I was with them. Late at night, I’ve even put my bag on the seat next to them and then lain, awkwardly, across a few seats with my head on the bag, next to them. The less they want to know you, the better.
    I’d give them just so much distance that they didn’t move off.

I wish I didn’t know what you mean.

:(:hug: (I need a less cheerful hug emoji here)

Sad as it sounds, I keep an emergency blanket (the light foil things), and tend to wear a full length coat, for just this sort of occasion.

6. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope everything will turn out fine and you and your partner can go home soon!

7. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Luckily i got to move to where he was; not long after so that helped. He’s just been moved into a ward, its 1.30am. Theyre keeping him in for 24 hours, so i’ll be getting a taxi home soon.

I have no idea if i’ll make it back here again tomorrow to visit him :( feel so useless with this damn illness at times.

8. Lisa108

All this shame and guilt that comes with chronic illness! We should stop feeling this way! Hope you're safe back home and your partner will come home soon, too!

9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Thanks @Lisa108 I stayed with him on the ward until 2am, froze outside for half an hour waiting for taxi, dodging more drunks, finally home at 3.10am :ill:

I think they’re just gonna observe him for 24 hours, hopefully his heart will reset itself so they don’t have to intervene, but if so it will either be a shock or an ablation op. Last time he needed it was 20 years ago.

Praying I don’t need to go back there tomorrow :bawling: its 3.40am now. Bed time :dead:

10. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:bucktooth::nailbiting::(:hug::asleep:
    Take care, we’re thinking of you.

11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sending my best wishes, @Hell..hath..no..fury... I hope you can lay down very soon and that your partner is well taken care of.

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Just catching up with this thread. So sorry to hear you and your partner are going through such a horrible time. I think it was heroic of you to stay at the hospital for so long last night when you are so sick yourself. I hope you have managed to get some sleep and don't crash too badly and your partner is OK.

13. Hell..hath..no..fury...

They’re moving him over to the cardiac ward this afternoon as the monitor is still giving freaky readings.

My mam has said she’ll come over to hospital with me to take his stuff over there as i’m a bag of jelly but she’s not good herself today, she was in hospital herself yesterday with a suspected fractured rib from a nasty bump on a door handle last week.

I’d love to tell her to stay at home but i can’t physically get to the hospital on my own :banghead: Urgghhh!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  14. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wishing you all the strength you need.

15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Thankyou @MeSci and to everyone else :hug:

16. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No fun to have all this going on, @Hell..hath..no..fury...! I wish you, your partner and your mom all the best. Take care of yourselves!:(:hug::(:hug::(

17. Hell..hath..no..fury...

The doctors seem certain its not his Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome and something else entirely but they don’t know what.

Tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, low BP, dizziness, pain in chest and left arm.

All the questions the doc was asking him sounded like he was talking about POTS almost.

Upon standing i think his pulse drops though, i asked if it was his blood pressure dropping upon standing but he wasn’t sure.

So now, they think its something else, they won’t be doing the op to fix so he has to just stay in there so they can watch him.

I’m a dead woman walking now, pretty certain i won’t be able to visit tomorrow or even the day after :banghead:

I’m getting taxi’s door to door but having to talk to the driver combined with people at hospital, the taxi’s are draining me too :confused:

Feel like i could sleep for a week :ill:

18. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:hug: that is so hard @Hell..hath..no..fury... .

I hope they work out what's wrong soon and it's something they can sort quickly.

It's so frustrating not being able to be there in the way we want/need to be for our loved ones!

19. Lisa108

Thinking of you! :hug::emoji_four_leaf_clover::emoji_ramen::emoji_chocolate_bar::emoji_bath:

20. hedgehog

hedgehog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sorry you're dealing with something this stressful and that you had to work your body beyond it's comfort level. I hope the doctors have answers for your partner soon and that you and your mom can get some much needed rest :hug: