Immunometabolic changes and potential biomarkers in CFS peripheral immune cells revealed by single-cell RNA sequencing, 2024, Sun et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Wyva, Oct 11, 2024.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

The pathogenesis of Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) remains unclear, though increasing evidence suggests inflammatory processes play key roles. In this study, single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) was used to decipher the immunometabolic profile in 4 ME/CFS patients and 4 heathy controls.

We analyzed changes in the composition of major PBMC subpopulations and observed an increased frequency of total T cells and a significant reduction in NKs, monocytes, cDCs and pDCs. Further investigation revealed even more complex changes in the proportions of cell subpopulations within each subpopulation. Gene expression patterns revealed upregulated transcription factors related to immune regulation, as well as genes associated with viral infections and neurodegenerative diseases.

CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in ME/CFS patients show different differentiation states and altered trajectories, indicating a possible suppression of differentiation. Memory B cells in ME/CFS patients are found early in the pseudotime, indicating a unique subtype specific to ME/CFS, with increased differentiation to plasma cells suggesting B cell overactivity. NK cells in ME/CFS patients exhibit reduced cytotoxicity and impaired responses, with reduced expression of perforin and CD107a upon stimulation. Pseudotime analysis showed abnormal development of adaptive immune cells and an enhanced cell-cell communication network converging on monocytes in particular.

Our analysis also identified the estrogen-related receptor alpha (ESRRA)-APP-CD74 signaling pathway as a potential biomarker for ME/CFS in peripheral blood. In addition, data from the GSE214284 database confirmed higher ESRRA expression in the monocyte cell types of male ME/CFS patients. These results suggest a link between immune and neurological symptoms. The results support a disease model of immune dysfunction ranging from autoimmunity to immunodeficiency and point to amyloidotic neurodegenerative signaling pathways in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS.

While the study provides important insights, limitations include the modest sample size and the evaluation of peripheral blood only. These findings highlight potential targets for diagnostic biomarkers and therapeutic interventions. Further research is needed to validate these biomarkers and explore their clinical applications in managing ME/CFS.

Open access: https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-024-05710-w

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2024
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They used Fukuda, CCC and the IOM criteria.

Kitty, Turtle, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. hotblack

hotblack Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A very small sample size but a lot of information to take in!

Here’s an AI generated audio summary of the paper:
    https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ6HWi0ZBMorHqJoUY7MyiDX6LMnPBiwpM17
    So I don’t completely derail discussions of the papers please post any feedback on these audio summaries to this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/enhan...h-technology-feedback-and-ideas-wanted.40207/

Text summary

Last edited: Oct 12, 2024
  4. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just want to clarify - they had to meet all three criteria.

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some selected quotes from methods (intermixed with discussion where relevant) —

They state age-paired. In supplementary 2, the HCs are 2 female, 2 male. Supplementary 1 is missing the demographics, but figure 1A indicates ME/CFS are 1 female, 3 males. We don't know height/weight, hopefully matched.

HC1 175cm 65kg 32y male
    HC2 172cm 65kg 37y male
    HC3 168cm 51kg 39y female
    HC4 158cm 50kg 55y female

In A statistical framework for differential pseudotime analysis with multiple single-cell RNA-seq samples (2023, Nature Communications) —

6. SNT Gatchaman

Selected quotes from results (GeneCards links added) —

Alterations in peripheral immune cell composition in ME/ CFS patients

Characterization of CD4+ and CD8+ T cell subsets

TCM is T central memory
    TEM is T effector memory
    CTL is cytotoxic T lymphocytes

7. SNT Gatchaman

Selected quotes from results cont'd —

Comprehensive insight into B cell dynamics in ME/CFS

NK cell dynamics and functionality in ME/CFS

8. SNT Gatchaman

Results cont'd, with added GeneCards links —

Upregulated genes enriched in phagocytosis related function in monocytes

Cell-cell communications in ME/CFS indicates that APP is core signaling of the observed interactions between monocytes and other cells

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024
  9. SNT Gatchaman

Summary quotes from discussion —

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024
  10. Turtle

Turtle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks again @SNT Gatchaman for the excellent highlights!!

Could activated monocytes, infections/(over)excertion, being prevented from getting to the brain by lying flat?

11. Turtle

Turtle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The poor astronauts on ISS can't lie flat, can they?

I remember seing an astronaut on ISS, some time ago, getting into his sleeping bag in a head down position; others were upright.
    I wonder if his brainfog was influenced by that, even in zero-gravity.

Kitty and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

RETN is resistin. CAP1 is its receptor: Cyclase Associated Actin Cytoskeleton Regulatory Protein 1. See eg Adenylyl Cyclase-Associated Protein 1 Is a Receptor for Human Resistin and Mediates Inflammatory Actions of Human Monocytes (2014, Cell Metabolism)

Resistin has been mentioned in ME/CFS studies in the past. From Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients (2017, PNAS) —

Though normal in moderate severity.

Resistin was also said to be decreased in CSF in Cytokine network analysis of cerebrospinal fluid in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (2015, Nature Molecular Psychiatry)

I don't think we have threads for either of those latter two papers, though they were probably discussed on PR back in 2015/2017.

If other immune cells were over-expressing CAP1 (even if only in mild and severe, but not moderate) would that explain the low serum levels even if the (monocyte) expression/secretion of resistin itself was normal?

Kitty, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know how this compares with the much larger and probably more rigourous study by Andrew Gelman(?) in the Maureen Hansen group? I seem to remember that one came out with a surprising finding it it was all about monocytes. Sorry, I’ve got a migraine, no chance of link

Ron, Kitty, Sean and 2 others like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

15. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, SNT Gatchaman, Ron and 2 others like this.
  16. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Grimson paper is much better powered (n~30 per group I believe compared to n~4 here). The two papers disagree in the abundances of immune cells types. This threads paper reports significantly decreased monocyte and NK cell abundances and increased T cell abundance. Grimson et al report significantly decreased CD8 T cell abundance.

In this thread's paper it's a bit difficult to tell if they see differentially expressed genes which significantly differ between patients and controls - let alone survive multiple test correction. I think they probably don't because they would explicitly report them if they had, but I've only briefly skimmed it and may have missed it.

In Grimson's paper they see significant differences in a handful of monocyte genes, in particular CCL4 and CXCR4. These don't appear to survive multiple test correction. However, they replicate these two using bulk RNA-seq on monocytes in a completely separate cohort in the same paper. These molecules are chemokines involved in cell migration so the authors argue possibly patient monocytes are characterized by dysregulated tissue migration.

Sean, Kitty, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  17. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread's paper also relies heavily on Gene Ontology (GO) term enrichment analysis, which Grimson et al also do. Gene Ontology terms are short phrases that describe a gene's function, cellular location and so on. For example a cytoplasmic gene involved in cell signalling may have 'cytoplasm,' and 'cell signalling' as go terms.

GO term enrichment then looks across all the gene's expression levels between the two groups and checks if any terms are overrepresented in the patient or control group. In a similar way Grimson et al describe 'regulation of paletelet activation' as an enriched GO term in ME/CFS only after exercise. This kind of analysis is ok as a post hoc in my opinion but is quite sketchy because it relies on the GO annotations themselves being accurate - which in many cases they probably aren't. It's also quite vague and hard to interpret.

Sean, Kitty, DMissa and 6 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for explaining that, chillier.

Sean, Kitty, ME/CFS Skeptic and 2 others like this.
  19. DMissa

DMissa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that for interpreting function a deeper dive into specific genes needs to be done. Getting a GO hit for "cytoplasm" for example means absolutely nothing. It also doesn't deal with direction or effect. You could have a GO term for a metabolic pathway come up as significantly upregulated because a gene product technically "involved" in the pathway annotation is up but the gene product actually inhibits flux through that particular pathway. In this case the GO analysis would be misleading.

GO analysis is a good way to identify areas to look at in detail. I wouldn't really use it for more than that.

Also, not only can the annotations be incorrect or vague but they also change. GO analysis on the same datasets years apart will show different outcomes.

Trish, Simon M, chillier and 6 others like this.