Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMG - it's the fourth anniversary!!!

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks like the 3rd anniversary is Hilda's appointment to lead the PAG. But, as you say, 4 years since Tovey said the current review should be withdrawn.

The sense of urgency would disgrace a snail.

It's both shocking and unsurprising given the powerful forces behind the scenes. They have so many damaged lives on their hands. Even more since the advent of Long Covid.

3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Selvage:
    a
    : the edge on either side of a woven or flat-knitted fabric so finished as to prevent raveling
    specifically : a narrow border often of different or heavier threads than the fabric and sometimes in a different weave
    b
    : an edge (as of fabric or paper) meant to be cut off and discarded
    : an outer or peripheral part : border, edge

Etymology

Middle English selfegge, selvage, from self self + egge edge (after Middle Dutch selfegghe)

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In years gone by the extra bits were often double and unfinished, especially if covered by a lining.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2023
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

But, can't your hand actually reach to the bottom of the pocket? The diagonal line across is attaching the pocket to outside facing denim. Unlike Cochrane, I don't think there is anything that isn't serving a useful purpose there. (The little pocket on the outside is arguable.)

(@CRG In this case Selvedge is the name of a sort of a cotton, as here with the pink and white stripe that is a selvedge - Japanese selvedge denim being top quality. In my googling I learned that the pocket is traditionally where the details of the brand and the model are printed. )

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This whole thing now looks like a delay tactic to protect the careers and incomes of the CBT and GET industry.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  7. Hutan

I think, at the very least, that a lot of the people involved thought it was a genuine process. I am sure that Hilda believed that it was genuine and I think she thought that she was in control of it. What I can't understand is why she and others involved who care about people with ME/CFS have allowed this to drag on with nothing achieved. Do they still believe that something good is going to come out of it that will negate all the harm produced by the old review continuing to stand for all these years?

8. Jonathan Edwards

You can get to the bottom of the pocket but there is still some fabric beyond the stitching. I admit that this is a feeble modern example of only about 5mm beyond the pocket. I well remember trousers where the spare was a centimetre or more and got increasingly frayed in the washing machine.

This is n't really a selvage as I understand it, unless it is stitched - as it typically is on the turn-ups.
    image.jpeg
    But there the spare material is turned back. For pockets and for Cochrane the material seems to continue and yet cease to do any visible job. I agree that Cochrane may still be influential but I strongly suspect that ongoing work is increasingly of this sort of 'virtual' form - and in years to come will be seen as part of the meaningless handle-turning of a culture that has lost its bearings. Unless of course the culture gets further further dissociated from any bearings.

I just get the strong feeling that Cochrane is now run by people who are there because they belong to the woodwork and won't say anything uncomfortable. Once that happens an organisation is dead wood.

9. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had no idea that your expertise extended to jeans, Jo. Will you be my phone a friend if I get on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

I’m thinking that Cochrane is more like a dummy pocket – it looks like a pocket but it’s only there for aesthetic purposes.

Meanwhile, I’ve emailed Hilda to ask if she can tell us any more about what’s happening.

Peter Trewhitt, Amw66, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a selvedge in the sense used when describing fabrics. It's not a hem or a finishing technique, it's something woven in from the start*.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 20.16.56.png

*Might also apply to Cochrane.

Peter Trewhitt, ukxmrv, mango and 4 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

In a way yes. I was looking for a metaphor for something that seemed to be useful but at some point imperceptibly became an invisible appendage.

I have made jeans in my time, but not for maybe fifty years.

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Human appendix?

13. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, that is how I understood it.

14. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wrote this a day ago but didn't post it because of its uncertainty.

I believe that a day or two ago I scanned (intending to return to it because it was long) a lengthy blog/ article written by @Hilda Bastian in which she discusses the Pace story and moves on to Cochrane. Or it must be possible I dreamt it. I remember /or dreamt a mention of @Tom Kindlon and Robert Saunders, and also @Caroline Struthers .

The problem is that I can't remember where I scanned it and extensive google searches in the last couple of hours have not produced it which has made me doubt if it really exists. Does it exist?

Apologies if I've started an invalid hare running. I thought someone else might have better luck or know where Hilda places her writing. It wasn't twitter. Or maybe I imagined it.

15. Hutan

:rofl: Me too.

Alibaba

16. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was it this, on her blog?

https://absolutelymaybe.plos.org/20...-the-me-cfs-exercise-dispute-matters-so-much/

17. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @inox. I think it was. It has @Tom Kindlon and Robert Saunders. There is a reference to Carolyn Wiltshire. Apologies to @Caroline Struthers for that misremembering.

Yes, I must read it- particularly the part about Cochrane- tomorrow. Thanks again for the find.

18. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It wasn’t me that Hilda referred to in her blog, it was the late great Robert Courtney (aka Bob) who wrote to Tovey and, along with Tom, was instrumental in highlighting the problems with the Cochrane reviews.

I never really knew Bob but I have great respect for him, and I am exceedingly grateful for all his brilliant work. I know that – like his friend Graham – he is dearly missed but all those who knew him on here.

[edit: NB the blog was written in Feb 2019]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  19. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are the different M.E. organizations invested in this? I don't know from memory, I've seen a couple of people in this thread applying pressure but can't remember if there's a more concerted effort going on to get this scrapped. If not, would that be helpful? This seems to be one of the major things still holding us back. Not meant to diminish the enormous amounts of work people have put into it already btw.

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

pure speculation but, I wonder if Paul Garner is pulling any strings?

his bio on LSTM:
    https://www.lstmed.ac.uk/about/people/professor-paul-garner

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.