Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cannot thank enough everyone who has been commenting on this thread to describe the consequences of the twisted science behind GET and CBT, either on their lives as patients or carers or generally on the medical and scientific fields. And for calling on doing better, much better, than harming ME sufferers with inappropriate treatments.

While I have only recently become ill with ME, your support and advocacy effort are invaluable for the generations of ME patients to come -- first and foremost those who may come down with ME due to the current pandemic --. Thank you for helping us.

Agreed. Although the Infectious Diseases group is not responsible for the review on exercise therapy in CFS, reaching out to Prof Garner is worthwhile. Is that possible @Hilda Bastian? I dream that he would be able to sit on the review committee, or otherwise that he would provide the committee with an expert commentary/input given his position at Cochrane.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Lidia, JaneL, MSEsperanza and 16 others like this.
  2. Hilda Bastian

Hilda Bastian Guest Guest

Yes - thanks for drawing my attention to it, though. We've been messaging/emailing about all this. Yes, I expect he will be contributing his views, and definitely keeping up with emerging data and research on post-Covid effects.

3. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Awesome! Just awesome!

JaneL, MEMarge, JemPD and 14 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So very, very well said.

JaneL, MEMarge, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  5. Barry

That is very encouraging to hear. @Hilda Bastian's earlier post gives me some hope you may be right.

MEMarge, Kitty, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  6. Barry

Precisely.

MEMarge, JemPD, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  7. Barry

Absolutely.

MEMarge, Webdog, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks again for this explanation. There remains one question that I think it would help our members to have an answer to before your report in a few weeks' time.

Can you please tell us where the process of appointing people to be on the advisory group is up to?

As a forum, if we are to nominate someone to represent us on the advisory group, we will need time for members to discuss this and to agree on a name of someone suitable and willing to be put forward. But there would be no point in our going through such a process if we have already missed the boat.

JaneL, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  9. Caroline Struthers

The problem is that if someone - maybe someone who has a recent diagnosis of ME - types "chronic fatigue syndrome" or "myalgic encephalomyelitis" into the Cochrane Library search box, the results don't present a coherent picture. It would be confusing for those not privy to what's been going on to see a note on the exercise review saying it's being updated, but no note on the CBT review to indicate there's a problem with it. Many will read the plain language summaries and/or not notice the note on the abstract anyway. This is an observation and a concern, not a question requiring a response.

JaneL, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 14 others like this.
  10. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

One of my issues is around whether any protocol could be sufficient to look at the current trials. I certainly think that any protocol that uses subjective outcomes as its end-points is not worth bothering with. This could be made worst if (as with the current protocol) they use the CFQ as a endpoint - this has so many problems including question phrasing in dealing with change; two sometimes contradictory marking schemes and that the lack of linearity. (I'm not impressed with the sf36 either).

That leaves looking at those trials that report more objective measures. PACE should have reported 2 a step test and a 3 minute walking test but they have only published step test results in the form of a graph (refusing to give numbers despite it being a secondary outcome!).

Other trials I assume use other more objective techniques so it may be hard to compare and aggregate. Care also needs to be taken here - for example PACE didn't do the 6mwt properly in that they had too short a length for people to walk and more turns. So digging into the details of what exactly was measured before aggregating is essential.

I just have a feeling that the overall data quality from all these trials is just too poor to make any sense in terms of a meta analysis.

So I do feel an important part of any protocol is to dig deeper than simple measures used and to look at the properties of the measures and how they were implemented in each trial and hence whether they are safe and can be safely combined.

JaneL, JohnM, ladycatlover and 20 others like this.
  11. Hilda Bastian

Yes, agree.
    The next report will include the first wave of members. After the second wave, there will be one final slot that the members will choose how to fill. We don't expect rapid turnaround on nominations when we invite a group, once the group has accepted a position.

JaneL, MEMarge, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I agree.

I think that quite a lot of the measures that might be regarded as objective are actually subjective. Certainly a 6 minute walk can be influenced by the enthusiasm the participant has for an open-label treatment or the sense of shame someone might have been taught to feel if they aren't 'morally strong enough' to recover.

Results from a week of activity monitoring can be similarly skewed, as can school attendance.

I recall when my son desperately wanted to go back to school and was encouraged to do so by a psychologist. In the first month, his attendance was very good. If he had been assessed at that point, the return would have been regarded as a success. A month later, his attendance was down to about 50%, but still that was big increase over the homeschooling of the previous year. In the fourth month, my son was sleeping 20 hours a day and struggling to get to the bathroom and eat enough in the remaining hours. And it took a year for him to recover the level of health he had started school with.

So, I think that, unless a measure of activity extends over at least three months and probably 6 months, it is not possible to be sure that any change is sustainable.

Another type of objective measure sometimes used is cytokine levels in peripheral blood. Usually a large number of cytokines are measured, creating opportunities for some random differences to be picked out and highlighted.

So, yes, I think there won't be many objective measures that really stand up to proper scrutiny in these studies.

And that's before digging into things like drop out percentages.

13. Hilda Bastian

Yes, agree. It's a weird "in-between" time for Cochrane reviews in general and for the CFS reviews in particular. There's going to be a new system that enables this easily, but it's not functional yet. And the transfer of editorial responsibility isn't complete. Should be simple, but it's not. It will happen.

MEMarge, JaneL, Kitty and 10 others like this.
  14. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

One of the things with school attendance is it doesn't represent performance or how well a student is doing. So they may be their physically but not concentrating vs more limited attendance where they are doing more learning. There can also be places in schools for children who aren't well to rest which again isn't reflected in the figures. Crawley's LP study also did self reported attendance so its not clear if that is accurate.
    I think sustained results over a long time is an important issue for any protocol and also the reporting time used. From what I remember about many studies is early reporting suggests improvement which tail off. So the choice of a time for an end-point can be really critical. I would prefer as long a time as possible because I think that reflects best whether there is any meaningful improvement.

Whilst such measures are interesting for research we don't have a way of interpreting if they have a meaning so we can't really use them as an endpoint.

Yes that is the real problem. Is there any meaningful data with sufficient quality and comparability that allows a meta analysis to make sense. Hence I think any protocol has to put a lot of effort into assessing the validity of data (and probably defining ways to do this). Also there needs to be a willingness to simply say the data is not sufficiently meaningful to give a comparison.

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Is there any research on exercise therapy for ME/CFS that:

Uses objective outcomes as primary outcome measures (with clinically significant not just statistically significant differences between groups).
    Uses currently acceptable diagnostic criteria that includes PEM.
    Includes long term follow up (at least 6 months after the end of treatment?)
    Properly records adverse effects including significant worsening of symptoms.
    Measures patients' adherence to the therapy.

If not, then there are no studies to be included and the only possible outcome of the review is that there are no eligible studies to review.

16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

May be off topic, but I have been thinking about all this (ME patients often have to lie there unable to do anything but think, one of our few advantages, really)

Basically, we have the professional medical researchers with their published, peer reviewed studies who claim that CBT and GET do not harm patients. On the other side, you have patients who claim that these treatments can lead to severe harms, including becoming wheelchair or bed bound for life and this can happen in both adults and children. They also claim that even people who do not experience such drastic harm can become much sicker for an extended period of time.

This debate is presented to other scientists and the public as activist patients harassing researchers who are working for the benefit of patients.

When you lay it out like that it is glaringly obvious that the patient claims MUST be investigated. In no other branch of medicine do the patients have to prove a treatment is harmful. The onus is on the doctor to prove it is safe to use.

Why is this basic human right denied ME patients?

Now this is without going into whether the trials are methodologically sound or if the researchers are well intentioned. The antivaxxers claim that vaccines cause harm and a fortune has been spent proving them wrong. Why not research our claims instead of making it a war? Even if the surveys are self selected, how many children need to become bedridden and tube fed before a product can be said to be harmful or that we need to find a way to identify those who will be harmed before using the treatment as universal?

These are basic points for medicine and are not confined to the debate about ME.

17. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would also add monitoring checks to show that the patient isn't just replacing their normal daily activity with the exercise therapy.

18. Caroline Struthers

Precisely. Cochrane is the only organisation that does (occasionally) publish empty reviews. But currently they seem to view these as something to be avoided - an editorial embarrassment. I have argued that empty reviews or reviews where studies are mostly poor quality (ie. most reviews) should be welcomed, as long as the review question and outcomes have been prioritised and specified by patients, not driven by researchers or what's reported in the literature. Empty reviews could be used systematically and constructively to advocate for and prescribe better primary research - campaign documents and trial/study protocols rolled into one. These documents could be available and/or pushed to funders who could then focus their call for proposals according to the knowledge gaps identified by the reviews. That said, a trial on exercise for ME would now probably be considered unethical. Maybe a trial on withdrawal of GET would be better!

Woolie, JaneL, ladycatlover and 16 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a great example of the problems with adverse effects monitoring in those experiments. The timeline for observation in this disease is far longer than usual and cannot rely on single points in time, the natural fluctuation of the illness itself demands it.

The people running those experiments have no useful understanding of the illness, its course and progression. They commit basic mistakes that would normally invalidate their work in any non-discriminated disease but since their misunderstanding has dominated for years, the rest of medicine is equally confused and unable to properly assess how to evaluate the illness.

I don't understand how the PACE long-term follow-up that recognized that not only there were no benefits but actually an increase in disability benefits, with the authors plainly saying "this is not curative" despite having gone on a PR tour for years touting the opposite, did not cancel the very weak questionnaire-based "benefits" initially presented.

20. Barry

And there is the non-trivial bias that was reported somewhere by a PACE participant (maybe more than one), that because they wanted to show how "well" they were doing, they basically exchanged some of their normal activity in order to do better in the trial activities.
    So the trial's "encouragements" to demonstrate best improvement, was actually motivating some to bias these supposedly objective results anyway, by transferring some of their non-trial activity across into the trial activity. Which in itself is clear example of how open label trials can foster subtle but significant bias, especially when the 'treatment' explicitly provokes bias-inducing behaviour.

ETA: Just realised @John Mac beat me to it, but much more succinctly.

Woolie, JaneL, ladycatlover and 10 others like this.