Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is such an important point that I want to mention it. PEM or PEF, respectively, or PENE is not a certain symptom, it´s specific patterns of appearance of symptoms.

I remember to have read in the PACE trial paper, that it would be astonishing that GET helps as PEM is (or "was") considered to be the main thing in CFS. So - in my words - per definition it rather should not work.

As a reader I would expect to find any explanation why this now suddenly and surprisingly wasn´t anymore in charge, and somehow could be helped by pushing through. Also as a reader from Cochrane I realy should expect this.

As a curious being I would also expect to come up with some guesses why this would be, this PEM. An interesting question.

However, there is no further try, simply observation (at its best), then saying something maybe not too untrue, and then in the short conclusion that GET and CBT helps.

This looks simply cheating, and if Cochrane is not able to spot this inconvenience, they are far away from the spirit which had made them growing important.

EzzieD, Sean, Willow and 5 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can I put this as politely as possible ... I wish they'd stop talking out of their collective @rse!

Sean, Willow, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I will never understand is if we were talking about unblinded trials using self reported outcomes of homeopathy, crystal healing, astrology or dowsing, there would be no disagreement, scientists worldwide would agree that results obtained by that methodology should be disregarded as biased, misleading and without value.

Apply the exact same methodology to talking therapies that are even worse in that they actively seek to influence how participants rate their symptoms, and now we are having a debate.

Chezboo, BruceInOz, JaneL and 35 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As they would for standard pharmacological treatments.
    What is it about therapist-delivered treatments that is somehow shielded from these strictures?

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Re the question on why there has been so much focus on the subjective outcome +unblinded trial issue:
    Of course there are lots of ways that a study can be unreliable. But I'm not aware that the person leading a new review of GET for ME/CFS disputes that it's important that studies select cohorts actually with ME/CFS (and therefore with the core symptom of PEM). But @Hilda Bastian does seem to be open to the idea that subjective outcomes can be reliable measures of the utility of an intervention in an unblinded trial. So that seems worth discussing, to understand what we think about that idea and why we hold the views we do.

oldtimer, Andy, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hilda Bastian
    Indeed

Hilda Bastian, Sean, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The very same comments were very popular with the BPS crowd commenting on the Rituximab trial. All valid points. They know those are problematic, they simply choose to waive them off for themselves.

Mithriel, Barry, Webdog and 8 others like this.
  8. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Willow

Willow Established Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant. Right on point. Thank you!

Barry, Sean, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  10. Willow

Willow Established Member (Voting Rights)

Again -- brilliant! It is so appreciated to hear clear, accurate thinking on the subject.

This is what was needed a long time ago. But, as you say, we will not rest until this wrong has been righted.

:thumbup:

Barry, EzzieD, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clicking on the link they used, no warning that the review is problematic and under, uh, review. This is very... problematic. As is the "Published 21 May, 2020", makes the conclusions look brand new and refreshed. And the substance, of course, very problematic.

Ah, you have to click on "Read the full abstract" to see the easily missed italicized warning about the review update.

Knowing that people will continue to be harmed by this... ugh. Nobody deserves this.

2kidswithME, Barry, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PhysiosforME, Barry and Andy like this.
  13. Hutan

There's a good reply from Physios for ME on the twitter thread, thanks Physios for ME for being on the ball. Also good replies from others including Millions Missing France noting that the Cochrane Exercise Therapy review is under review.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.37.01 PM.png

Barry, Amw66, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Notably, there has been no studies that actually ask patients which outcome measures are most relevant. Likewise, none of the PROMs have been tested to determine whether patients find them relevant, despite two systematic reviews on PROMs suggesting this is a major problem.

Barry, rvallee, Simbindi and 9 others like this.
  15. Hutan

@Joan Crawford, thank you very much for your ongoing engagement here. I agree with much of what you write but I'd like to discuss a couple of points that I think are relevant to the Cochrane review and ME/CFS research design.

The outcome measure 'ability to work (or equivalent) is quite a difficult one. I've given the example of my son returning to school after a year of home schooling before. So, if my son had been asked in January what his ability to attend school was, he would have said '100%'. He started school at the beginning of February and was attending well at the end of that month. If you had asked him then or had an objective measure based on school attendance, the rating might have been 90%. But by May, he was bed-bound and having difficulty even being awake to answer questions, let alone getting to school - so the rating was 0%. The point I am making is that it is very difficult to work out what a sustainable level of work or school is until you have been doing it for sometime. Any forecasting by the patient at the end of an intervention about what they might be able to sustain is likely to be optimistic. Particularly in the case of work, it takes time to apply for and obtain a job. And any objective measure of work hours or schooling needs to be made after enough time has passed for any cumulative impact to show itself. Enough time is probably at least three months after the increase in activity.

For the same reason (non-sustainability), a week or two is much too short a time to assess real changes in physical activity. As I've said before, a week or two of activity monitoring is really a subjective measure. Someone with ME who is motivated will often be able to push themselves to achieve higher levels of activity for that length of time and probably longer. A decent period of time for continuous monitoring is probably at least three months. That can be remeasured in a follow-up if desired, but the most important thing is to make the period of measurement long enough.

:thumbup: Thank you.

(I'm sure you meant 'having secondary subjective outcome measures alongside objective ones'.) We've seen that secondary measures are often biased. If they are included, lots of thought needs to be given to ways to reduce the bias. Apps collecting real time assessments (e.g. daily) rather than a question asking how things were over the last month are likely to be better.

Many ME/CFS research proposals I've seen recently seem to want to collect huge amounts of data about mood and emotional wellbeing and the like, even though the intervention isn't aiming to change mood. I commented recently that answering long surveys about our emotional status often seems to be the price we have to pay for biomedical research. I'd like to see a lot more thought given to what data is really needed for a study. The less irrelevant (and probably highly biased subjective) data that is collected, the fewer the opportunities for cherry picking (e.g. our intervention didn't change activity but participants felt a bit happier!) or for later studies to torture the data to fit preconceived ideas.

rvallee, Simbindi, Trish and 9 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Written over a couple of days, so some points have since been made by others, but anyway...

Well said.

I am firmly on the side of subjective outcome measures requiring adequate blinding, and/or being used alongside objective measures (which are given at least equal weight to the subjective measures). Anything less is not scientific, and is potentially very dangerous.

I don't object to subjective outcome measures, in fact I want them used. They can provide valuable information, in particular from the correlations between subjective and objective measures. But they cannot be used on their own and without blinding, especially in a trial of a treatment whose whole purpose and means is to alter patients' subjective self-perception.

That just becomes circular nonsense revolving entirely around patients' questionnaire scoring behaviour, independent of any practical real world changes or benefit. Changes in actual perceptions and cognitions must have measurable external agency and consequences well beyond mere questionnaire scoring behaviour, otherwise what is the point?

Science works by allowing us to discriminate, and quantify the difference, between subjective and objective elements in our perceptions and cognitions. Unblinded subjective measures on their own don't allow that discrimination and quantification, that necessary element of control (as in Randomised Controlled Trial). It is not possible in such trials to distinguish between genuine therapeutic benefit, and potential confounders and artefacts of that methodology, such as placebo effect, wanting to please (or avoid displeasing) the therapist, etc.

At most unblinded subjective measures can only tell us there is an effect. They don't, on their own, tell us what the effect is due to (and hence if it is genuinely therapeutic). That is why we need blinding and/or objective measures as well, to help tease out causal pathways.

What the BPS school has done is construct an unfalsifiable 'methodology' that tries to maximise the effect of various confounders and artefacts, and arbitrarily relabels them as a therapeutic benefit.

This whole shitshow is going to come down to this technical issue. If the BPS school are not allowed to rely on unblinded subjective measures then they have nothing, and they know it. And so do their critics.

Wessely and Chalder:
    Change in activity level is objectively measurable. So there are no excuses for not measuring it.

Measuring patients' acceptability of a treatment might be legit, for example.

This excuse from them really gets up my nose. There is a minimum methodological standard to meet for any study wishing to claim scientific status. Trials that do not meet that minimum standard are not merely a weaker form of evidence, they are non-evidence to start with. They lack the necessary rigour and clarity to be interpreted and applied safely. No amount of hand waving and sophistry can change that.

It's like trying to build a house on a foundation of sand. No matter how well constructed the house is, it is still built on sand.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yet that is exactly the view of researchers in the field. They cannot personally think of a better way, so they assume their inadequate trials are good enough.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1270630424935567369

https://twitter.com/user/status/1270632069195055104

https://twitter.com/user/status/1270634933661380608

Note: Professor Bentall co-authored the Powell 2001 et al. graded exercise 'education' trial and the FINE trial.

See also (Bentall's double standards with regards to evidence quality):
    http://cepuk.org/2020/06/04/guest-b...a-classic-failure-of-evidence-based-medicine/

18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If mental health research was held to the same standard as the rest of medicine, large portions of it would simply collapse (and maybe that would be best for patients). But the self interest of researchers is considered more important than the well being of patients and that is so wrong.

rainy, Webdog, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  19. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thing is that the deconditioning theory, which GET relies on (explicitly in the PACE paper), does not apply well at all.

If patients would not recover from say a virus infection and would somehow artificially prolong the symptoms, one would not expect to see symptoms like POTS or gut issues. In fact the symptoms are that wide ranged that they hardly can be classified as similar to a virus infection (despite that there may be some truth with the comparison, interestingly).

In addition, ppl report to have got ill from any, more or less normal, chemicals. I don´t see the empirical evidence that contact with ordinary enough chemicals could induce an illness which would lead to a deconditioning.

Therefor one would need to propose that the ME symptoms appear after the virus, maybe in a gradual way. This would match up with the gradual onset pattern without any noticeable trigger.

But then the deconditioning theory doesn´t apply, as in gradual onsets there is no deconditioning. And then only CBT should work. But the PACE trial just says that GET does work as well. This may indicate that the claimed success is indeed only a placebo effect.

Or one must propose that the two gradual onsets differ. Then one would at least expect to have shown this up in the trial. But obviously they didn´t care at all. Ppl with this or that ME - after this differentiation -, (even ppl with probably no ME) all the same. And once more a placebo effect comes to mind.

(It may also be, btw, not that likely that ME wasn´t already present at begin of the trigger event.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Michelle, rvallee and Joan Crawford like this.
  20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another example:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1222476712203575297

Code:
    https://twitter.com/SnowyPanthera/status/1222476712203575297
    I realize that this is a difficult field especially with regard to objective measures in mental illness, and I admit I can't remember how the argument that certain trials were not 'unblinded' but 'assessor-blinded' was being dicussed on the forum.

But as others proposed, there are at least some ways to carefully combine diverse 'suboptimal' objective outcomes.

I think for ME in contrast to depression or psychosis it is even better feasible to define an adequate combination of objective outcomes, partially based on reproducible, specific symptom patterns induced by certain activities.

As we discussed on another thread, In MS research some researchers did find objective measures for motor fatigability (movement patterns). The propblem might persist that these measures not always completely correlate with fatigability perception. But only because it's complicated I think doesn't justify to ignore what could be better measures than those that are usually applied in the field of mental illness or MUS and ME.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    Michelle, Barry, Trish and 2 others like this.