Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably the protocol will report the intention of using the new research integrity tool produced by Cochranites, including Paul Garner, to identify and exclude "problematic" trials. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jrsm.1599

bobbler, FMMM1, Solstice and 11 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title of that paper : Identifying and managing problematic trials: A research integrity assessment tool for randomized controlled trials in evidence synthesis

So, they've given themselves an escape route to ignore everything that doesn't fit the BPS ideology or they just don't like for any convenient reason? How can they mention randomised controlled trials and not mention subjective outcomes and research done without controls or randomisation?

inox, alktipping, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just wanted to strongly echo @Trish’s point that given Cochrane has acknowledged the exercise review is no longer valid and their delays in moving forward, they really ought to withdraw it and refer people to more recent sources, ie NICE and CDC.

inox, Binkie4, bobbler and 21 others like this.
  4. Caroline Struthers

I will write to them again pointing this out. Cochrane seem less able to do a U-turn than the government, which is quite something!

inox, Joh, bobbler and 23 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I want to re-echo that. That old review is causing harm, at a time when Covid-19 is producing lots more people with ME/CFS. Given reputable entities such as NICE do not support exercise as a treatment of ME/CFS, there is no doubt that there is enough uncertainty to justify the review being withdrawn. 'First do no harm', and all that. I hope the IAG has made these points to Cochrane very clearly.

If the old review was withdrawn, I think people with ME/CFS would be much more accepting of the long process to produce a new review.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    inox, Kirsten, lycaena and 23 others like this.
  6. Caroline Struthers

Have had another look at Garner and co's "research integrity tool" and it only applies to trials of "investigational medicinal products". No one seems to give a damn about the integrity of trials of behavioural and psychological therapies, physical therapies, surgery etc. Even though blinding is difficult or impossible. I honestly don't understand why Cochrane have this ridiculous (ahem) blind spot.

inox, FMMM1, Solstice and 16 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they just don't see it that way?

ukxmrv, FMMM1, Solstice and 7 others like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because to acknowledge it, they'll have to turf most of the evidence from an entire field.

inox, ukxmrv, Amw66 and 15 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

inox, Joh, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow --- sounds like something from science fiction ---- come to think of it, sums this bunch up!

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

bobbler, Ariel, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It also cites an old Gaffney (of LC denial fame) study about deconditioning following extensive bed rest. The vast majority of long haulers do not meet the conditions of that study, it does not apply. This isn't hard to find, the fact that most LC cases had (relatively) mild acute illness is very easy to find, if one bothers. Or cares about pertinence.

But one curious thing is this cites the previous version (2017) of the review. Possibly a clear warning that this is not the latest review is not obvious enough, or is challenging to people with limited reading comprehension, but those excuses should not apply here. It's prominent enough and these people are smart enough to read words and understand their meaning in the context in which they apply.

Maybe because if you click on that warning taking you to the latest (2019) version, the fact that it features an editorial note about the review being (reportedly, one day, perhaps) updated makes for less compelling evidence than citing an old version that is marked as having been replaced.

Then again the German NICE equivalent, IQWIG, basically advises CBT and GET on the basis of the NICE guidelines, which do not advise this. It doesn't appear as if it matters to be consistent, or to bother citing properly, as long as whatever is cited supports the pre-achieved conclusion. Yay evidence-based medicine, where terrible evidence is evidence as long as that evidence supports a cherry-picked conclusion.

inox, bobbler, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  13. Caroline Struthers

I did a talk for OMEGA (Oxfordshire ME Group for Action) on 29 October which is now on YouTube. It's a story of how I came to be involved in criticizing Cochrane over ME research. There's a lot of detail about the behind the scenes manipulation to allow publication of the amended Excercise review in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6gKE_-3L80

A version for those preferring to read is here

And the Tweet is here
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1593535687017566208

14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is brilliant Caroline, so very well put together. It would be good if this could get wider coverage. I went for the written document, having that as well as the video is good I think.

Tagging @dave30th in case not yet seen this.

Solstice, FMMM1, inox and 12 others like this.
  15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much for your persistence and commitment @Caroline Struthers. Every time there was a step forward, it failed to stick. I have no brain this morning but thank you again for your efforts.

Do we know what happened to Hilda Bastian?

I too went for the written version.

Solstice, FMMM1, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, Caroline, for all your hard work and persistence regarding this issue.

Given that the RACGP HANDI guide on GET is based on Cochrane's appalling exercise review, I despair at the lack of progress and communication re the new review. I have been meaning to write to our Health Minister to ask why Australian taxpayers are supporting this dysfunctional organisation (Cochrane in this instance) but it is a low priority given my own poor health and that I know that my concerns will be brushed off.

I have, however, mentioned Cochrane's disgraceful behaviour in my submission to the Senate Inquiry into Long COVID.

(I also appreciated the written copy as I find it very difficult to watch a long video.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Solstice, bobbler, FMMM1 and 13 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, Caroline. Important to keep this stuff in play and on the public record.

Shocking. But is anybody surprised?

Solstice, inox, bobbler and 14 others like this.
  18. Caroline Struthers

I will probably submit a complaint based on the fact the Editor in Chief and the review authors/Fretheim ignored Guyatt's instruction about making it clear in the review that the effect size was not clinically important

Solstice, inox, Milo and 20 others like this.
  19. Caroline Struthers

Yes, I am trying to keep the ball in play in the absence of any information from Hilda or Cochrane

Solstice, Chezboo, inox and 18 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The last we heard unofficially was that the Patient Advisory group was still waiting to get sight of a draft protocol for the review from the review writing group. So Hilda may not have any knowledge, let alone control over the long delay so far.

Solstice, Robert 1973, FMMM1 and 10 others like this.