1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Intimate Partner Violence and the Risk of Developing Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2019, Chandan et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Dec 5, 2021.

1. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lead author has conducted a fair bit of other research linking other conditions such as diabetes and heart disease to domestic violence. Obviously there's a lot of questions about to what extent these associations are really there, because there's a lot of potential confounding factors. But it's also a useful demonstration that just because you find an association between abuse or trauma and a certain condition, what that really tells you about that condition's etiology is very limited. Contrary to the approach some people take to conditions where they view an association with trauma as all important to the etiology of that condition

Milo, Cheshire, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is very sad that so many doctors are willing to collaborate with those who make financial gain from barring access to medical care and treatment.

It is difficult to hear doctors talk of their own suffering within the profession due to this economic model.

Difficult Choices” or “Hard Choices.” or who shall we allow to die?

“No win situation”

“No choice but to accept the situation”

“Pressure from all sides”

First they choose to choose when they might instead refuse.
    Then they refuse to choose to fight to win.
    They refuse to choose to rebel.
    They refuse to choose to push back on the pressure from above. They do complain about the above, this they seem to agree is enough.
    They choose to push back on below.
    “ Oh the worried well.”
    “No patience these patients.” “Sorry no magic pill”
    “Nothing medically wrong” “Mistakes were made…. Drs are human. Very sick people die…. Sometimes nothing more to be done.”

When they talk of long hours and suicide we know. We know it is same economic logic that kills them as kills us.

We know powerlessness.
    We know solidarity.

We know the system cannot break us without cooperation from them. They have some awareness of their power over us. They act against us.

The power we would have together is forgone.

They have not chosen solidarity with us.

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

This paper still leaves the cause of my ME completely unexplained. Oh well, I'll just have to hope there are researchers studying other possible causes.

Woolie, alktipping, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The comparison between domestic violence people and those who did not suffer that are only AGE-matched, not socio-economic/health/education levels. So right there, I'm not taking it seriously.

I should look into the original research articles linking childhood trauma (incidence in FM vs background) to developing FM. These issues irk me no end as they don't clarify anything biologically, imo.

5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, they are incapable of conjuring such thoughts or other reasonable explanations, it would seem. They are trapped in their own self-delusions.

6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Secondary generational trauma because their parents or grandparents were victims of domestic partner violence?

Woolie, Wyva, hibiscuswahine and 3 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the UK I think the term used is trans generational trauma.