1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jen Brea tweets about U.K. Unrest campaign

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by NelliePledge, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

2. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Holy crap! That's appalling.

4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@JenB - this is awful. How about a UK-specific fundraising drive for outreach?

janice, MEMarge, RuthT and 4 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

A lot of us in U.K. contributed to last summers crowd funding I’m sure we could raise whatever $17k is in £. And could have done sooner if this was flagged up at the time decision was made to shorten U.K. campaign. I’m sure a lot of us weren’t aware it had been shortened

6. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too bad that none of us saw this sooner. We could have reported to Jen and she could have had it taken down then. It has just been taken down so I am thinking she just saw this.

RuthT and JaimeS like this.
  7. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is bizarre - I wonder who the individual / group of people referred to are?

MEMarge, JaimeS and Melanie like this.
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whilst fully understanding the annoyance that this must cause, I always have difficulty in understanding calculations of this nature.

There is no way of knowing how many people who were willing to watch the film for free would have been willing to pay to watch it.

It may be that the film has reached a wider audience than it would otherwise have done. I don't advocate piracy, I just suspect the calculations.

And no. I have not watched a pirated version.

9. NelliePledge

It was posted a few times on different Facebook pages and challenged each time

10. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect it's a rather niche film for a general audience to stumble across, let alone watch on YouTube for 90 minutes. That suggests to me that it was people with an interest in ME who watched it, for the most part, and those are also the people who would've paid if they had no other choice.

That said, YouTube views don't necessarily represent unique viewers either. So it is impossible to put a number on.

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What I'm unclear about is how she can know whether it was UK people who watched the pirated version. YouTube is available world wide, so viewing figures presumably are not geographically stratified.

12. NelliePledge

Presumably some kind of web analytics can provide this data

ETA also maybe if YouTube take a video that’s been pirated down they give the owner data to help track down the source and who downloaded.......

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  13. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's fair to say people with an interest in ME would have watched it, however to suggest all of those would have paid to watch it is a big stretch.

Plenty of people watch pirated movies all the time, there is no way all of these people would pay to watch the same movies if they didn't have access to the pirated version.

MEMarge, Ryan31337, Sly Saint and 4 others like this.
  14. Melanie

I'm only guessing here, but they probably had to make a choice on what campaigns to cut short not realizing they had money taken from them in this pirated youtube post.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  15. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't say they all would. But a niche film also isn't the same as a throwaway blockbuster movie. Most (or many) people didn't just stumble upon Unrest and watch it.

They sought it out. They probably wanted to watch it. Probably enough to fork out for it if they had no choice. People interested in ME tend to be very interested...

16. Melanie

I watch documentaries on youtube all the time. Now, I do believe they have been out for some time and those that have the license are not impacted as may be the case with 'Unrest'. I did pay $4.99 for the rental on Vimeo and I thought that was a bargain. My friend saw it on iTunes for 99 cents.

17. BurnA

Looking at Twitter, it seems Jen is basing her assumptions on the difference between UK and US TVOD monies.

( Tranactional video on demand, I think)

It seems they have equal figures for everything apart from TVOD.
    (This is surprising in itself, and would suggest UK is a lot more tuned in than US.)

I don't know how popular VOD is in UK vs US though.

MEMarge, adambeyoncelowe and Melanie like this.
  18. Melanie

The US had 'Unrest' on PBS for free in early January. But I watched it on Vimeo prior to its airing as I wanted to see it ASAP. It was purchased by Independent Lens but it still allows Jen to distribute through video platforms. This is probably why US campaign is continuing.

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't imagine anyone uninterested would have.

adambeyoncelowe and Melanie like this.
  20. BurnA

I am sure there are movie buffs who would watch anything for free :)

MEMarge, Melanie, mango and 1 other person like this.