1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long COVID and post-infective fatigue syndrome – a review, 2021, Sandler, Moss-Morris, Crawley, Knoop et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Fatigue is a dominant feature of both acute and convalescent COVID-19 (sometimes termed ‘long-COVID’), with up to 46% of patients reporting fatigue lasting weeks to months. The investigators of the international Collaborative on Fatigue Following Infection (COFFI) conducted a systematic review of post-COVID fatigue, a narrative review on fatigue after other infections and made recommendations for clinical and research approaches to assessment of fatigue following COVID-19.

In the majority of COVID-19 cohort studies, persistent fatigue was reported by a significant minority of patients, ranging from 13-33% at 16-20 weeks post symptom onset. Data from the prospective cohort studies in COFFI and others, indicate that fatigue is also a prevalent outcome from many acute systemic infections notably infectious mononucleosis, with a case rate for clinically-significant post-infective fatigue after exclusion of recognized medical and psychiatric causes, of 10-35% at 6 months.

To better characterize post-COVID fatigue, the COFFI investigators recommend: application of validated screening questionnaires for case detection, standardized interviews encompassing fatigue, mood, and other symptoms, and investigative approaches to identify end-organ damage and mental health conditions.

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofab440/6367589

full text available as a pdf

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still as useless as ever. Still obsessed with and unable to un-anchor from calling everything fatigue. What a worthless bunch, completely incapable of learning from experience, still not able to listen to patients or consider anything outside of their belief system.

This actually caused major confusion initially as the heavy ME fatigue usually settles in months after. Soooo many long haulers were dubious of ME because of that. "I don't even have fatigue". It still causes a lot of confusion, given the fluctuating nature and how PEM is so much more than "more fatigue".

I've genuinely seen more flat earthers realize their folly than BPS ideologues, which as best as I can tell is not a single one. Flat earthers are demonstrably more capable of learning than these fools. Amazing, you genuinely could not make this stuff, it's completely unrealistic as a plot device or background.